electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Datasheet for SN76488N
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
openfly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Datasheet for SN76488N
Subject description: Looking for a datasheet for the TI SN76488N
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an SN76488N and I want to use it for a project... but there are no datasheets anywhere on the internet. I saw it posted to a forum here, but the download link is now dead.

I would be extremely grateful if someone were to share with me that datasheet.

Please help me electro-music... you're my only hope.

-matt
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome welcome
here you go
build something nice!

76488.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  76488.pdf
 Filesize:  228 KB
 Downloaded:  1020 Time(s)

openfly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! Thanks a bunch!
achillies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Preliminary Datasheets are not always correct. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This datasheet is bad.. just plain wrong. There is another example of this same bad pinout in the 1980 Engineers handbook, which shows the SN76488 as being the same as the SN76477, with the exception of audio input and an internal amplifier. THAT BOOK IS WRONG, and resulted in me personally toasting a few of those 88 chips. The 1982 edition has a corrected schematic for the SN76488N, showing that GROUND IS PIN 14 and VCC input on pin 12! The 77 has +VCC on pin 14 and ground on pin 2. Not the same at all, and there are a bunch of other differences.

The 1982 edition with good pinouts and a few projects is here -> http://www.achillies.com/Project_files/img/engineers-notebook-ii-a-handbook-of-integrated-circuit-applications-forrest-mims.pdf

A comparison pinout is here -> http://www.achillies.com/Project_files/img/sn76477_sn76488_pinout.png
achillies

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Another SN76488 project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this is an old thread, and I'm probably talking to myself, but I was trying to find a pdf of the REAL datasheet for the SN76488, but have yet to find one. There are a few images floating around that are definitely scanned from the original, but I have yet to find a copy with all of the pages/panels.

I DID find one more old magazine article though, and this one is pretty thorough. Page 69 of Jan 1984 Radio Electronics, believe it or not.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Electronics/80s/1984/Radio_Electronics_January_1984.CV01.pdf

If someone has a hardcopy of that old SN76488N, PLEASE share it.. sometimes there are tidbits of info on those sheets if you read between the lines. The preliminary version just doesn't cut it (and has some bad info)
cementimental

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a scan of an old sci-fi filmmaking magazine which contains plans for a SN76488-based sound fx box - the article says that the datasheet has errors anyway (as others have mentioned above) and that their schematic is better! https://archive.org/details/CineMagic018/
achillies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: The original datasheets were missing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a great article to add to my collection. I bought my SN76488N's back in the early 80's, and I actually remember buying them. I bought two, both were in the clearance bin, and neither had datasheets. I wonder if the bad datasheets were pulled by radio shack or TI, and that's what relegated these (the only ones they had) to the clearance bin.

Incidentally, I just finished my 76488 Demo pcb (based on the demo box from that radio electronics article, with differences on one shot logic and external vco control, which were taken more from the sn76477 datasheet). Here's a pic.

2019-03-20 19.09.06.jpg
 Description:
PCBs for the SN76488 and SN76477s
 Filesize:  4.14 MB
 Viewed:  378 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

2019-03-20 19.09.06.jpg

cementimental

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No probs Smile I've been hoarding info about these things for a while, got mine on ebay some time ago (plus a couple of 77s) and really need to get round to building something

those look great!
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Another SN76488 project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

achillies wrote:
If someone has a hardcopy of that old SN76488N, PLEASE share it.. sometimes there are tidbits of info on those sheets if you read between the lines. The preliminary version just doesn't cut it (and has some bad info)
I have an original of the Archer/Radio Shack/Tandy Technical Data sheet that came with the SN76477N (as well as an almost unused original chip) from when they first came out [Catalog Number 276-1765]. I assume the complete datasheet for that one [8 panels] is available online and you wouldn't need anything that's on it, but maybe not.
--Steve
achillies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Datasheet for SN76477N Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting. It sounds like we had similar pasts, because I've got the original datasheet(s) for my 77's as well. I also have originals for the SN94281 and SAD1024 chips, but I think those are easily found on the internet as well (the datasheets, not necessarily the chips, even though I do have an sad1024 still in the original package).
Ayab

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Achilies for linking to the Forest Mimms IC applications handbook that is really useful.

Hey Cementimental that Cinemagic soundbox article is excellent.

Achilies your pcb adapted from the soundbox looks great - it would probably save me a great deal of frustration if you would kindly share your layout Wink

Btw AchillesI recently read Delton Horn and recognise the comparison pinout page you linked to - have you seen his SN76488 example sound effect generator (fig. 3.79) - attached.

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 10.14.50.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Viewed:  345 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 10.14.50.png

achillies

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: My PCB layouts for SN76477 and SN76488 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, here are my PCB layouts and silkscreens for both chips. I have yet to actually populate the boards and test either, so use at your own risk, and be sure to check all of the traces.

SVG files are not allowed, so these were saved as PNG files. Make sure to verify spacing, etc..

If you need the svg files, let me know, and I can post them on my website for download.

76488_pcb.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.84 KB
 Viewed:  418 Time(s)

76488_pcb.png

76477_pcb.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.37 KB
 Viewed:  331 Time(s)

76477_pcb.png

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice!!! Thanks for sharing. Maybe this will inspire me to do something with my SN76477. It was moved from the back burner to the deep freezer decades ago, but it might be worth testing to see if it survived.

When Radio Shack closed most of its stores (all of them?) a few years ago, I picked up the "Electronic Learning Lab" for something like 80% off the list price (the one with two 8.5 x 11 Forrest Mimms Workbooks--reminders of the little books from ages ago which you can find on line).

The 555 LED test circuit on there has been collecting dust long enough. If I do replace it with the SN76477, I will owe you big thanks for reminding me of the chip!!

Steve
ickystay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another SN76488 project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

achillies wrote:

Here's what I have.

76488_Data.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  76488_Data.pdf
 Filesize:  2.23 MB
 Downloaded:  341 Time(s)

Ayab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes - Thank You achilles and others.

Sorry for the delay in saying this - That is very kind and generous. I am at a bit of a diy impasse (long story) at the moment but hope to have things sorted out and will be building again soon.

Sending you good vibes

Hope it is helpful to post the schematic and relevant pages from the Radio Electronics magazine

(That 1984 Radio Electronics magazine is so interesting and I am so easily distracted!! I also included the next article on transistor switches to remind myself to read it properly!) Very Happy

76488 Sound Gen Schema.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.69 MB
 Viewed:  196 Time(s)

76488 Sound Gen Schema.png

SN76477-88 Sound Gen - RE Jan'84.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SN76477-88 Sound Gen - RE Jan'84.pdf
 Filesize:  1.78 MB
 Downloaded:  189 Time(s)

Ayab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey achilles

Am nearly ready to try etching your SN76488 Sound Generator PCB Very Happy

Can you just first please explain to me what the ground connections next to the Noise, Decay and VCO capacitors. To switch them off?

I have highlighted them in green so you know what I am asking about.

Hope you are having a good weekend Very Happy

Achilles 76488 Grounds.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.64 KB
 Viewed:  10650 Time(s)

Achilles 76488 Grounds.jpg

orby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cementimental wrote:
Here's a scan of an old sci-fi filmmaking magazine which contains plans for a SN76488-based sound fx box - the article says that the datasheet has errors anyway (as others have mentioned above) and that their schematic is better! https://archive.org/details/CineMagic018/

Anyone got a copy of this at all?

Thanks Smile
ickystay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here.

Cinemagic 18.pdf
 Description:
SN Article

Download
 Filename:  Cinemagic 18.pdf
 Filesize:  9.93 MB
 Downloaded:  61 Time(s)

orby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ickystay wrote:
Here.

Thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: