electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Old OS for Nord 3
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
HB3

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Old OS for Nord 3 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone have an older OS for the NL3? Something before they instigated the new arpeggiator. Thanks.
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome HB3

I think the chance getting it from other users is very low... There weren't that much updates and machines which were delivered containing that particular version, would be updated to V 2.0 without saving - I wouldn't even know how - the earlier OS to a computer.
I believe the only way to get it is by Clavia itself. Write to support and ask if maybe M Kjellander, the main designer of the synth, knows an old computer somewhere in the basement which has that OS still on its hard disk... I don't have much hope, but not trying...

On the other hand, why do you want to down grade? Maybe there is a work-around to get the same results?

Wout
HB3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, thanks. I did write Clavia. Haven't heard anything yet.

I don't like the way the new arpeggiator responds to real-time playing -- there's something about the way the notes trigger when the arpeggiator is running that's different on the older OS. It's hard to explain -- like the notes don't play until the next tick of the clock, so sometimes you hit a note and there's a brief moment of silence, and then the note sounds on the beat of the clock. On the older OS, you'd hit the key and the note would sound immediately, no matter if it was in exact time w/ the clock or not. I thought the "key sync" feature would correct this, but it doesn't.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm...
I think it's time to dust off my NL3 Wink
Luckily I have a 7 weeks long holiday tomorrow, so I could make some time...

I don't remember the old situation, though, but maybe we can tackle the problem.

Can you send me the program/patch you're using in SysEx format? Then all parameters, even the Arpeggiator, are the same is both locations.

Wout
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HB3 wrote:
Hey, thanks. I did write Clavia. Haven't heard anything yet.

Clavia always used to shut down completely for a month somewhere during summer, it might be that time of the year.

HB3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Hmm...

I don't remember the old situation, though, but maybe we can tackle the problem.

Can you send me the program/patch you're using in SysEx format? Then all parameters, even the Arpeggiator, are the same is both locations.

Wout

I dusted mine off, too, that's the problem.

I'll send you a file later today, but everything I'm doing is pretty stock. I think I was using the 1:60 Horner patch, but as long as it's something with good attack, it doesn't really matter. Set the arp running, turn on keyboard hold, and start playing random notes out of time. Despite keyboard hold, there will be gaps in the sound as you play notes.

Maybe I could send you a brief audio file as well.
HB3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I decided to do a quick audio file first -- this is the 1:62 patch, "Moog Bass" with the filter open a bit, otherwise no alterations to the patch....Arp rate is about 70. I've tried a bunch of different arp settings and I don't think it matters -- it has to do somehow with the way the notes are triggering. When you listen to the file, you'll hear the arp pattern start to stutter -- this is the result of my playing random notes at a certain rhythm, sort of pawing the keyboard. I don't want it to stutter like this. The old OS didn't do this. I mean, the stuttering actually sounds sort of cool, but I liked how the old OS triggered notes as well.

nord test.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  nord test.mp3
 Filesize:  460.41 KB
 Downloaded:  413 Time(s)

HB3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stumped?
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, to busy to do some serious listening at the moment. Next monday... Smile

Wout
HB3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, thanks.
Alias

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: My findings Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are my findings:

With arp rate at 70 I have the same stuttering effect you hear in the mp3. My first thought was to turn on KB Hold to remove any tiny gaps between played notes -- this had no effect. When I turned the rate way down (to 20ish) you can clearly hear [sic] the missing notes. Play two notes in quick succession (faster than the arp rate) and the second note will not be played until it's hit by the arpeggiator.

Then I turned KB Hold off -- now it works! Well, almost: If you play every note staccato you will hear every note, but if the keydown on the second note occurs before the keyup on the first note, clipping will occur.

Luckily there's a setting that only allows one note to be played at a time... I went to turn on Mono (actually it's already on in Moog Bass) -- no difference! By definition mono means only one note can be down at a time, but it seems the interval is too short (or the keyup/keydown events happen simultaneously) and the arpeggiator still drops notes. You can also hear this effect by playing one note very fast with KB Hold on.

Some of this makes sense: when playing a chord, only the first note should be played immediately. It also lets you modify a chord while the arpeggiator is running, and only hear the new notes when they are hit in sequence. But turning on Mono should have fixed this -- the user is explicitly stating that they only want to play one note at a time, and each keydown should result in a note played.
HB3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting. I'll experiment with key hold off, but the whole idea was to sort of improv with it on...not sure if it will work. The old OS, before the new ARP, didn't stutter at all.

I heard from nord tech support and he confirmed the clavia guys are all on vacation.
HB3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried turning off keyboard hold; it doesn't really change things that much, but I see what you mean. I was thinking the "Clock Key Sync" parameter under "Master Clock" might help, but it doesn't seem to make any difference whether it's on or off.
W.T.

G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Hmm...

7 weeks of holiday (you are a teacher i guess) and a nl3 parked under a dust cover geek . . . good wetter, 2008 is gonna be a good holliday.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

W.T. wrote:
7 weeks of holiday (you are a teacher i guess) and a nl3 parked under a dust cover geek . . . good wetter, 2008 is gonna be a good holliday.
Only 6 weeks and the weather (das Wetter is German, BTW Smile well, my doctor just gave me a medicine which is forbidding me to stay longer then 10 minutes per day in the sun... Mad

Wout
W.T.

G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have such a problem to, thanks to some auto autoimmune disease i cannot stay to long in the sunlicht..... i love the sun Crying or Very sad
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wasn't a big fan of the NordLead3 Arpeggiator (using most of the time the NordLead2 - that one has MidiOut, the NordLead3 hasn't - but now I would say it's a waste to create a knob for it Mad
Over here it doesn't work either. KB Hold helps a little, but not the way I want it to play. (BTW Legato in this configuration is a real pain...)

I'm sorry, but I don't have any solution for the strange hick-ups... Crying or Very sad
Now I also understand why they left this concept when designing the G2, which has NordLead2 like Arpeggiators.

Wout
HB3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still waiting to hear back from Clavia....
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HB3 wrote:
Still waiting to hear back from Clavia....
Not before thuesday, I think...

Anyway, beware that the Patches in the Archive are all 1.20. Nothing is sure about forward comptability... Can 1.08 load 1.20 Patches?

Wout

Last edited by Wout Blommers on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
HB3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heard from someone at Clavia who emailed me OS 1.08 -- yay!
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HB3 wrote:
Heard from someone at Clavia who emailed me OS 1.08 -- yay!
They started early, today Very Happy As told in other threads: if they can help you they surely do.

Tell us if there are any troubles loading V1.20 Patches and also when it doesn't.

And send us a mp3 about the differences Razz

Wout
HB3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried installing some of the 1.20 patches and got an error saying I needed to active receive....it looks like it is activated as far as I can tell. Actually I don't think I've ever transfered any patches into it before, so I don't know if this is normal or abnormal...under midi I can select "Send and Receive" and set it to "send" "receive" "send and receive" or "off." I have it set to "send and receive."
HB3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New test...no stutter! On listening to the first file, though, I kind of like the stutter...so, now there's options -- kind of a drag to be installing operating systems over and over, but at least it's possible....

nord test 2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  nord test 2.mp3
 Filesize:  446.12 KB
 Downloaded:  323 Time(s)

HB3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By request, here's that nord OS file w/ the earlier, non-stutter-y version of the arpeggiator....

NL3 1.08.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  NL3 1.08.zip
 Filesize:  121.7 KB
 Downloaded:  209 Time(s)

Alias

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: