electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The Disonator
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: The Disonator
Subject description: Another possibility has surfaced
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've decided to put the Disonator on hold while I get some more concrete, proven projects happening. I also feel that although the results are interesting, it doesn't quite justify the amount of effort involved.
It sprang from the experiments I've documented in these two threads: -
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28104.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28349.html
and I s'pose it could be called a particularly nasty, lo-fi incarnation of a spring reverb. For that reason I'd prefer to not see it as a reverb at all, but rather a type of distortion. It does have two channels, and has therefore fulfilled my yearning for a stereo distortion. If, for example, each channel was overdriven or fuzzed by a couple of simple little add on op-amps, I think it would make a great stereo-harmonic-fuzz. But again, I'm tempted to ask, at what cost?!?
Anyway, there's a pic so you can see the basis for what it does, and I've included a sample of it screwing with the output of a Klee sequence coming through my ASM-2. There are no effects except for the disonator. 4 bars without (100% dry) 4 bars with (100% wet).
Let me know what you think. As always, all comments, suggestions and groans of disapproval are most welcome. Laughing

Disonator 26-08-08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  465.91 KB
 Viewed:  415 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Disonator 26-08-08.jpg

Disonator 26-8-08.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Disonator 26-8-08.mp3
 Filesize:  462.04 KB
 Downloaded:  1407 Time(s)

Last edited by Uncle Krunkus on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is it picking up a lot of sound in the room? It sounds like you drop something towards the end.

Pretty neat effect. I really dig the twangy-roboty-fuzzy sound!
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger wrote:
is it picking up a lot of sound in the room? It sounds like you drop something towards the end.

Pretty neat effect. I really dig the twangy-roboty-fuzzy sound!

Yeah, that's one of the other reasons I'm not 100% happy with it, it's positively microphonic! Now that adds even more to it's grungy, get out anything but what you put in, kind of "live" sound on a PCB, charm. Confused Very Happy
But,........
I'd like to do more tests, and perfect the design by :-
Increasing the amount of drive from the 386s into the transformers. (anyone have any ideas?)
Putting all the circuitry on the stripboard to reduce signal paths and therefore noise.
Reduce the output gain.
Also, reducing the size of the board, bolting it to a larger panel with rubber cushions, and not having it sit on a large wooden benchtop.

Peake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note that in the VCS/AK/AKS that the speakers could drive the reverb into feedback. That was half the fun!

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
synthmonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you plan on enclosing it to reduce room volume? Could be fun testing it with different materials other than metals. I made one of those pvc pipe "reverbs" which wasn't very reverbery (sp?), but it had some nice variable feedback distortion with gain control on both ends.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger wrote:
Do you plan on enclosing it to reduce room volume? Could be fun testing it with different materials other than metals. I made one of those pvc pipe "reverbs" which wasn't very reverbery (sp?), but it had some nice variable feedback distortion with gain control on both ends.

Enclosing it won't change the room volume. The problem is that the bench top is acting as an enormous diaphram. The best way to reduce extraneous noises is to rubber mount it to something heavy(er?).

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just discovered in my drawers of stuff that I have a load of LM380s!!
It never even occurred to me to up the amp!!
The LM380 is basically the same amp as the LM386 just bumped up to 2.5W rather than 1W.
This means I could get a lot hotter signal being pumped into the springs, and thereby could reduce the sensitivity of the piezos dramatically. Reducing noise and extraneous signals at the same time.
First though, I'm going to get all the pickup circuitry onto the stripboard.

doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps a box within a box idea? Studio isolation principles use floating layers with heavy dampening in between. Why not built the Disonator it's own itty bitty isolation booth? Doesn't it deserve a good home? Then kick it occasionally of course. Shocked Very Happy

cheers
Phil

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah,
I actually like the idea that bumping the cabinet where all my gear lives will "add" to the sound. It's got a more Dr Frankenstein feel to it. Very Happy
I'm thinking of making a nice comfy little "bed" for it out of that really squidgy foam with an adhesive backing on it. I'll stick that to the base plate, and then add a touch of B&D by "strapping" the board to it with springs in each corner. Shocked Cool
I love nothing more than I nice little piece of installation art whose reasoning is all completely functional. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: