electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
SN VOICE questions..how to fit on panel!
Page 2 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
PHOTON
hoW MANY u WIDE IS YOUR FRAC PANEL?
thanks

Loss,
My SNV panel is 6 inches wide.

peter
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow
that not THAT wide
you must be really good at layout.

i asked before but how DO you do it? with a ruler? how much space do you allow vertically and horizontally between pots? and are you using 16mm pots or smaller? i see the serge knobs which i know help.

i need to get better at this.

thanks

Tronato

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

I hope you've all had a nice weekend!

Since it is SN-Voice Front Panel what is under discussion in this thread I would like to ask the following:

Apart from the unlucky WSG, the SN-Voice is my first really serious project. I have gone through great care in finding the components (which has taken quite a long time) and have succeded in finishing the project from the PCBoard point of view.
However, it is now in standby as far as the connection of the external components goes because I have no idea where to install the whole thing.

Reading about everybody here talking about racks and so forth just confuses me more.

So, to the point: would any of you have a spare front panel for this project that I coulsd buy? I don't care which format it is, but I do know that it would determine the configuration of my future projects, like, for example the SN Super Controller and the Klee.
It does not have to be as perfect as the ones pictured on this thread... maybe your first attempt that had a slight mistake and that is now lying sort of forgotten behind your workbench...

I would really like to finish this project but I don't want to house it in a Radioshack box It has been quite an adventure putting together the electronics, but if now I have to design a nice looking Front Panel I guess I'll finish this project by the time they elect the next Pope!

Any help would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks!

TRON
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
So, to the point: would any of you have a spare front panel for this project that I coulsd buy? I don't care which format it is,

Tron,

I have some blank 2U high rack mount panel stock (3.5" x 19"). Can you drill your own holes? I can also make a custom "SN Voice" decal and drill pattern for you that will fit onto this size panel. All you would need to do is mark, "hole punch" all the hole locations, drill, deburr, paint the panel white, and then lay on the decal. Wink Sounds like lots of work but it's rewarding to DIY ! Wink

It will then look like my SN Voice panel pictured here in my ad:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-24667.html

Bill
Tronato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

I can't drill holes but know who can for me...

How much would that board be?

Are you my Godfather or something similar? You always seem to help me get my feet out of the mud!

Thanks a lot!

TRON
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I can't drill holes but know who can for me...

OK, good Cool

Quote:
How much would that board be?

1) 19" >>NEW STOCK<< rack panel (3MM Thick Steel)
2) Custom Decal shown in picture with separate drill stencil.

$28.00 plus $4.80 shipping

Paypal to :

billnrob@optonline.net

Ready to ship immediately !
Quote:

Are you my Godfather or something similar? You always seem to help me get my feet out of the mud!

I guess I am there at the right time I suppose Wink

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

Your very welcome !

Bill

snvoice_panel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.48 KB
 Viewed:  376 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

snvoice_panel.JPG

Tronato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

QUOTE:
"All you would need to do is mark, "hole punch" all the hole locations, drill, deburr, paint the panel white, and then lay on the decal."

This all sounds sort of confusing, specially the "paint the panel white" part.

Apart from this I still need a box in which to house it... but that would be necessary for any version I wish to build...

Has this procedure ever been posted?

This does seem to be getting expensive, specially for a standalone SN-Voice which does not seem to do very much on its own...

Just wondering... I'm not understanding too much...

Fonik's SN76477 Supercontroller Front Panel design is more like a square... as are Blacet's designs... what is standard here? Maybe there isn't a standard... and everybody designs what is more convenient for them...

TRON
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for formfactors of synth distributors refer to
http://www.synthesizers.com/formfactors.html

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
which does not seem to do very much on its own...

?

I can't think of many modules that actually do more......

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
This all sounds sort of confusing, specially the "paint the panel white" part.

Sure TRON, I will explain why this is so. The panel stock is black. The decal is printed as translucent colors so they will show up best when the sticker is applied to the panel. If you don't paint the panel white, the colors will not show through. An alternative is to paint the panel silver .. NICE fx !!!

Some Very Happy Advice

If you don't have a 19" rack, then this is not the front panel for you. I would then take a peek at Fonik's suggestion and look at all the form factors before making any kind of decision. Very Happy Good luck in your adventure. Oh, yes, don't under estimate the functionality of the SN Voice TRON, take a peek at Scott's write up .... it really does quite alot and will make a fine "cheap" synthesizer Cool

Be well .
Bill
mark_olson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen three or four more squarish fp designs, a couple I can think of off the top of my head are these:

http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/SN%20Voice.html

and

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-1211.html

I'm going with something similar to these, using the fact that I have a nice chunk of 6 inch high aluminum stock to work with as my design point of departure.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
This does seem to be getting expensive, specially for a standalone SN-Voice which does not seem to do very much on its own...

If you use it standalone, there are actually many things that you can do to make it a fairly comprehensive sound FX generator. To exploit it's "musical" aspects, of which Thomas Henry took much time to design in the expo current converter, then yes, it will not do much for you unless you have a sequencer, MIDI to CV, or CV keyboard controller connected. Then the SN Voice acts as any other "modular" component in a setup by which it acts as to contribute it's part of the total sound. So, the SN Voice is designed to work as a standalone effect generator OR as a modular component in a "musical" application. I say musical since what makes it unique is the fact that the chips VCO transfer characteristic conforms to the 1V/Octave standard. The VCO in this chip normally responds linearly to any input which is not very musical.

Quote:
Just wondering... I'm not understanding too much...

Well, I hope the explanation helps more for you to understand.

Bill
Page 2 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: