electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
How about the new Blofeld Keyboard?
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
paugui

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: How about the new Blofeld Keyboard? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I just saw on some stores that there is a new Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have extra polyphony or other enhancements and also seems quite heavy for a 4 octaves keyboard (8 Kg compared to the Nord Wave 6 Kg) which probably won't make it as portable as it should.
But what do you all think about this new keyboard version?

Since this isn't still on Waldorf website, which leads me to think it wasn't planed for a long time, and the Zarenbourg and Stromberg aren't yet out could this means we will still have quite some time to wait for these two?

Best regards

Paugui
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Nice specs

Features:

60 Megabyte sample memory
    Class compliant USB MIDI for PC,Mac and Linux
    16 part multimode
    maximum 25 voices polyphony
    highest quality standard keybed with 49 weighted keys and aftertouch
    Internal power supply
    Pitchbend and modulation wheel
    Virtual analog, wavetable, and sample based oscillators
    MIDI in/out
    Sturdy metal case
    Stainless steel rotary encoders
    Backlit 128x64 pixel LCD
    Over 1000 sounds
    3 oscillators, 2 filters per voice
    Selectable drive curves
    Frequency modulation for oscillators and filters
    Three LFO, four envelopes per voice
    Extensive modulation capabilities
    Complex arpeggiator
    Powerful effects section
    weight: apprx 8,-- kgs
    weight in carton: apprx 9,5 kgs

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems it sells for approx 600 Pounds in the UK. This is a remarkable price. Oh shit.. Shocked If they have truly fixed the firmware bugs then I think I want one... Shocked Again.. I´ve already had 3 desktop Blofelds.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paugui

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just noticed it has sample memory.
Would it be able to use samples too, like the Nord Wave?
Or do you think it will it be able to store user wavetables that we can create using some waldorf software?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea. I´ll tell you after I´ve read the manual. Very Happy

The desktop Blofeld is simply awesome. The keyboard version can hardly be worse. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paugui

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where is the manual available?

And also, the only things extra this seem to have on it's specs are the sample memory and the wheels and keys, right, no extra buttons or knobs or outputs or polyphony?
rh2y

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neat!

From an industrial design standpoint, I like how it keeps the same lines as the desktop unit. Very nice looking synth. And we already know how it sounds! I'm curious to see what the sample mechanism looks like; if it is simply sample-based waveforms, or if you can create your own wavetables (that would be way cool).

Russ

Shameless-er plug: http://www.evatontechnologies.com/

Music: https://atomstomolecules.bandcamp.com/releases
Jyoti

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Oh shit.. Shocked If they have truly fixed the firmware bugs then I think I want one... Shocked Again.. I´ve already had 3 desktop Blofelds.

Waaaugh! Me too! Mind you, I've only had two faulty desktop Blofelds. Perhaps third time lucky? Razz

paugui

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is info on Waldorf website and it really seems able to use samples Very Happy

I guess now it's equivalent to the Nord Wave but for less than half the price, which really seems great, just doesn't have as much knobs as that one.

I'm feeling really lucky for not having bought a Blofeld yet Very Happy
paugui

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, here is the link for the Blofeld Keyboard page:

http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/products/blofeld-keyboard
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder what they have going with the sample engine, will it have a v-synth elastic type osc or straightforward sample playback?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m still looking for the manual for the new Blo-K. The manual for the Blo-D is here

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must admit if they did a two octave one I would grab it quickly.
kvnvk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, a two octave Blofeld keyboard would be particularly nice. Very Happy
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kvnvk wrote:
yep, a two octave Blofeld keyboard would be particularly nice. Very Happy
Well... the desktop version is about to get an unlock option for its sample memory, so you can combine it with the two-octave keyboard of your choice...
paugui

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But from what I've read you will have to pay for it... which is a shame...

Waldorf could be a bit nicer as it is just a software update from what I've heard, no new hardware will need to be installed on your Blofeld.

When the units come with this option as standard I'm pretty sure I will grab one.
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A software update?

Are you saying that Waldorf has been selling a synthesizer with 60mb of unused flash memory for 350€? That's just impossible to me. But who knows...

ark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol wrote:
Are you saying that Waldorf has been selling a synthesizer with 60mb of unused flash memory for 350€? That's just impossible to me. But who knows...
Yes indeed. Look here: "License SL is the Sample Play Option for Blofeld Desktop. With this license, 60 Megabyte of Sample Flash Memory are available for factory or user samples."
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol wrote:
That's just impossible to me. But who knows...

To me it comes pretty close to theft, but it's not uncommon to do things this way unfortunately ... it's cheaper for the manufacturer to just put the options in ... it's seen in cars too for example where just the switch for the wiper interval is not present, all the electronics is there ... and a while ago we bought an expensive oscilloscope at work, there are some extra hardware and software features in it for which you'll have to buy a license to make it work, but it's all present just waiting for the numbers to be keyed in.

cbm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
To me it comes pretty close to theft...

Why theft?

Do you have an issue paying for other things that are licensed, such as software?

Is the because you don't need to download and install a bunch of stuff, or send it back for a firmware update?

- C

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:
Why theft?

Because the feature is there but its deliberately broken, and because it has been paid for already. I think its different from software ... but basically it's a feeling that its not right ...

cbm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Because the feature is there but its deliberately broken, and because it has been paid for already. I think its different from software ... but basically it's a feeling that its not right ...

Well, I can see not being happy with their business model, but I think that saying that it's "theft", or a "deliberately broken" feature, is stretching things a little. Lots of software is sold this way, with different features being enabled with different purchased license keys, fwiw.

- C

paugui

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Access is giving their Virus TI OS3.0 for free and it seems to have quite some nice improves.
I think Waldorf should do the same with their Blofeld.

Also, Access made new Virus TI 2 and allowed the new features to be available for the initial TI, which probably makes people not upgrade to the new TI, as it just seems to have more DSP power and new esthetics.
If their new OS features were only available for the new TI 2, I think many more people would upgrade and they would make a lot more money with that.

If Access can do this I really can't understand why Waldorf doesn't offer the new feature too...
I expected Waldorf to be much nicer to their costumers...
ark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paugui wrote:
If Access can do this I really can't understand why Waldorf doesn't offer the new feature too...
I expected Waldorf to be much nicer to their costumers...
The reason is quite simple: If they did, then other people would be complaining:

"I don't want sampling. I don't understand why Waldorf doesn't offer another model of the Blofeld without sampling for less money. I expected Waldorf to be much nicer to their customers..."
paugui

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a point but... in that case people would be complaining about the new Waldorf Keyboard having sampling and I haven't noticed people complaining about that.

Since the sampling memory is there I really think they should make the software available for free.
I really don't think anyone would be sad with that they did that for free.

And from what I'm noticing, it's the usual policy to release software upgrades with many new features for free, so that I really think Waldorf should do that too.

From what I'm remembering, Waldorf did the Micro-Q Lite which just needed a software upgrade to become a full Micro-Q but was cheaper.
If they had put a full Micro-Q at the Micro-Q Lite price instead, they would probably have sold more Micro-Q's and would have not went bankrupt...

I really hope they learnt with their past mistakes and put their software available for free...
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: