electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
sequencing with drum machine
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
reasonable

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: sequencing with drum machine
Subject description: noob
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello
I'm trying to use the pulse output from my synsonics drum machine to trigger a switch on another instrument. The pulse from the drum machine is 8v. Im using a 4016 ic and a 9v battery. I have the 9v hooked up to the proper + and -. I hook it all up and it doesn't seem to be interpreting the pulse output properly. Any suggestions?

4016.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.62 KB
 Viewed:  259 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

4016.jpg

CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The +8v sounds like basically a trigger pulse. Is the trigger just closing the 4016 as a switch? It might help to tweak the pulse to make sure that your 4016 likes it. You can put it through a one-shot (like a 555) to clean it if it's not a sharp rectangular pulse. You can use an op-amp as a comparator to make a sort of sensitivity control. Is the pulse long enough? If the switch closes for 1/200th of a second might not be noticable.

For troubleshooting, I'd test the 4016 function with a toggle switch connected to make sure that things on that end work as expected. And I'd make sure the pulse and ground were coming out of the drum machine ok, maybe have them light an LED to see that it works.

I am too tired to think straight, but I hope this gets you started
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: sequencing with drum machine
Subject description: noob
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reasonable wrote:
hello
I'm trying to use the pulse output from my synsonics drum machine to trigger a switch on another instrument. The pulse from the drum machine is 8v.

Whoa! What pulse output? If you mean the signal from the drumpads, they're not suitable as triggers. Without conditioning they're noisy and jagged, switching on/off several times a second.

Nice, clean +5v digital signals are available, though. How do I know? I've been working on a Synsonic for several months. There's a long post about it at burnkit2600
http://burnkit2600.com/gear/synsonics-drums/
The post includes some incorrect information, but I obtained the Synsonic Service Manual there.
http://burnkit2600.com/manuals/synsonics-srvc.zip

I found the schematic difficult to read, so I've enlarged and enhanced it, minus the unreadable waveform charts, which I enhanced separately, clarifying (to the best of my ability,) what I consider the important Test Points.
http://www.geocities.com/richardc64/synsonic/schema_lrg.gif
http://www.geocities.com/richardc64/synsonic/wave_lrg.gif

The component layout was also tough on these old eyeballs. I enlarged that too, faded the obscuring pc traces and hi-lighted points important to my modifications, which I hope to post soon.
http://www.geocities.com/richardc64/synsonic/comp.gif

reasonable

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, thanks for all of the advice. I lowered the source voltage to 6v, and found some grouding issues. After these changes, the led would blink "in time" with the drum machine, though quite dimly. I think I've almost got it.
Also, I'm getting the pulse from a din cable plugged into the port. Pin 3 is the ground, pin 4 is 16 pulses per "bass beat", and pin 5 is the bass beat. The synsonics schematics are great, thanks for sharing.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The pulses might be too brief to light the led brightly, but may be long enough to do something digitally. I think you've almost got it, too.

reasonable wrote:
Wow, thanks for all of the advice. I lowered the source voltage to 6v, and found some grouding issues. After these changes, the led would blink "in time" with the drum machine, though quite dimly. I think I've almost got it.
Also, I'm getting the pulse from a din cable plugged into the port. Pin 3 is the ground, pin 4 is 16 pulses per "bass beat", and pin 5 is the bass beat. The synsonics schematics are great, thanks for sharing.

Very cool. I forgot about that connector because it's of little interest to me for what I'm doing.

Great.

reasonable

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I switched the 4016 for a relay and a transistor, and its flipping the switch. I think something may not be grounded properly, or electricity is flowing back into the drum machine causing it to randomly play. I can hold my hand near a metal part of the DM and it interrupts the switch. Any advice on this? I thought I had everything properly grounded, maybe I need a diode on the pulse from the machine?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
I'll post an mp3 when I finish this thing.
badstatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, Richard64 of 'synsonics' fame.

Big thanks for all the MODs on the synsonics. I've wanted an analog drum machine for years, and the work you've done on the 'sonics has made it a quite respectable bit of kit! I've got two of them now.

Did you ever figure out how to remove the 'clicks'?

Mine is making alot of low frequency clicking when played. Also quite alot of hiss despite changing the caps.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: