electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music
 
    Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

  host / artist show at your time
  Various Artists ~ 2014 Autumnal Equinox ~ live streaming radio ~
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
All Musical Samples Must Be Paid For
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 3 of 7 [153 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Author Message
paul e.



Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Posts: 1567
Location: toronto, canada
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:


Anyway.. that hiphop/rap thingie with Sissel Kyrkjebø singing Prokofiev was symptomatic .. Arrgh..



that does sound scary!

_________________
Spiral Recordings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
elektro80
Site Admin


Joined: Mar 25, 2003
Posts: 21977
Location: Norway
Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW: Kirkie is selling these at his yahoo shop:

http://store.yahoo.net/shatner-store/marega.html


Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.


perhaps it has a "scan for alien copyrights" mode?

_________________
A Charity Pantomime in aid of Paranoid Schizophrenics descended into chaos yesterday when someone shouted, "He's behind you!"

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
play



Joined: Feb 08, 2004
Posts: 490
Location: behind the mustard
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

I fear this might fall on deaf ears, but is it really just egotism and a lack of generousness for a great musician - who has honed his art and craft for years, quite likely earning a mere pittance in the process - to want some compensation when someone uses his chops as a basis for something which without those specific sounds would have been just workaday, boring stuff?


I'll pretend that's not rhetoric and say yes, it really is. Craft is something that cannot be stolen, it's an ability. What's left? Well, if there was a recording then there is a physical medium that can be stolen but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about information. It's easy to say "Thief!" if you see someone running out of a museum with a canvas in their hands but what about someone that momentarily adopts the style of someone else or quotes them in conversation? That's recontextualization. The moment that a piece of information leaves the mind of its creator it is free in the technical sense, not the legal sense which brings me to the question of why would we make artificial laws to try, vainly, to restrict the free flow of information? Information unrestricted leads a life similar to any organic organism. It reproduces, mutates and then dies out. That's about as natural as it gets. It's the mentality that information can be converted into material value and status that leads us to create insane laws about mental property that can't possibly be upheld. This isn't restricted to intellectual property or copyrights but that's another conversation.

Quote:

I get the feeling that this is a bit like Jean Genet - "Property is theft." A very facile statement, I find.


You mean Proudhon? Not sure. Anyway, you're right but that's not where I'm at with this. I fully support the view laid down in the constitution of the U.S. (a mythical document) which mentions nothing about the inalienable right of fame and fortune but I seem to remember freedom of expression in there somewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
elektro80
Site Admin


Joined: Mar 25, 2003
Posts: 21977
Location: Norway
Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul wrote:
elektro80 wrote:


Anyway.. that hiphop/rap thingie with Sissel Kyrkjebø singing Prokofiev was symptomatic .. Arrgh..



that does sound scary!


Shocked

They even made this video. You mother was wrong. This is what makes ya blind..

_________________
A Charity Pantomime in aid of Paranoid Schizophrenics descended into chaos yesterday when someone shouted, "He's behind you!"

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aquanaut



Joined: Apr 25, 2004
Posts: 313
Location: Montreal
Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Modern jazz has gotta to be one of the least authentic art forms ever.
I have heard jazz musicans do some nasty sampling without the use of samplers


Jazz player are not interested in authenticity, they want to play within the boundaries of the style, it's a fondness for a particular way of hearing the notes. If jazz was authentic, you would'nt have a section dedicated to it at your local record store.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
play



Joined: Feb 08, 2004
Posts: 490
Location: behind the mustard
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does creating within boundaries exclude authenticity?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
elektro80
Site Admin


Joined: Mar 25, 2003
Posts: 21977
Location: Norway
Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boundries are fine.


Hmm, it can be argued that 100% athenticity is not needed in music.

_________________
A Charity Pantomime in aid of Paranoid Schizophrenics descended into chaos yesterday when someone shouted, "He's behind you!"

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dovdimus Prime



Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Posts: 664
Location: Bristol, UK
Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
To clarify: To be called a musician one shouldn't have to be a virtuoso, but I feel very strongly that one should learn the basics of at least ONE instrument. Music is a PHYSICAL thng, just as much as it is an emotional and an intellectual thing.


I couldn't disagree more Oskar. I think music is entirely a mental thing. I can't be bothered to learn an instrument properly, but I think I'm still entirely valid as a musician. It's not all just about getting air to resonate in tubes nicely you know...

Very Happy

_________________
This message was brought to you from Beyond The Grave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Oskar



Joined: Jul 29, 2004
Posts: 1737
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
Oskar wrote:
To clarify: To be called a musician one shouldn't have to be a virtuoso, but I feel very strongly that one should learn the basics of at least ONE instrument. Music is a PHYSICAL thng, just as much as it is an emotional and an intellectual thing.


I couldn't disagree more Oskar. I think music is entirely a mental thing. I can't be bothered to learn an instrument properly, but I think I'm still entirely valid as a musician. It's not all just about getting air to resonate in tubes nicely you know...

Very Happy


I suppose us musos (if that's a sufficiently derogatory term) are too full of hot air to have a valid opinion. Let's trash ALL "traditional" instruments and concentrate on our qwerty skills. I'll concede the point to the intellectuals and crawl back to my primeval ooze, shall I? Twisted Evil

_________________
Where there are too many policemen, there is no liberty. Where there are too many soldiers, there is no peace. Where there are too many lawyers, there is no justice.
Lin Yutang (1895-1976)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
play



Joined: Feb 08, 2004
Posts: 490
Location: behind the mustard
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Hmm, it can be argued that 100% athenticity is not needed in music.


I think that 'Authentic' in this conext is one of those words like 'Good' or 'Enjoyable' or 'Interesting'. It's totally subjective. Authentic doesn't mean the same thing as original or innovative which are slightly less subjective words.

Quote:

I couldn't disagree more Oskar. I think music is entirely a mental thing. I can't be bothered to learn an instrument properly, but I think I'm still entirely valid as a musician. It's not all just about getting air to resonate in tubes nicely you know...


I take this view too. There's a difference between art and craft. One requires years of training and skill and is easily quantifiable while the other is difficult to describe yet requires nothing but the will. They are neither mutually exclusive nor mutually dependent. Craft, in my opinion is just another tool at the artists' disposal but it's certainly not the only one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
play



Joined: Feb 08, 2004
Posts: 490
Location: behind the mustard
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
ppose us musos (if that's a sufficiently derogatory term) are too full of hot air to have a valid opinion. Let's trash ALL "traditional" instruments and concentrate on our qwerty skills. I'll concede the point to the intellectuals and crawl back to my primeval ooze, shall I? :twisted:


no need to take things personally. I'm a muso as well. I have 10 years of classical guitar training under my belt but I don't believe it's any less artistic to press a few buttons than to tear through arpeggios with only your fingers even if it's less skillful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
paul e.



Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Posts: 1567
Location: toronto, canada
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mind you ...the tin whistle or the washboard or the guitar or the whatever is easy to learn to play well...so.. no excuse ! hehehe... not physically playing an instrument is fine, but not 'well-rounded' for someone who does call themselves a musician
_________________
Spiral Recordings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
play



Joined: Feb 08, 2004
Posts: 490
Location: behind the mustard
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul wrote:
but not 'well-rounded' for someone who does call themselves a musician


Is that what we're talkin about? Well in that case, no, I'm not a musician. I am but a lowly acolyte.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
paul e.



Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Posts: 1567
Location: toronto, canada
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

point is...not playing an instrment is fine...not speaking 3 languages is ok too...but for those who do speak 3 languages, life is more rich..
_________________
Spiral Recordings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Oskar



Joined: Jul 29, 2004
Posts: 1737
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

play wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

Hmm, it can be argued that 100% athenticity is not needed in music.


I think that 'Authentic' in this conext is one of those words like 'Good' or 'Enjoyable' or 'Interesting'. It's totally subjective. Authentic doesn't mean the same thing as original or innovative which are slightly less subjective words.

Quote:

I couldn't disagree more Oskar. I think music is entirely a mental thing. I can't be bothered to learn an instrument properly, but I think I'm still entirely valid as a musician. It's not all just about getting air to resonate in tubes nicely you know...


I take this view too. There's a difference between art and craft. One requires years of training and skill and is easily quantifiable while the other is difficult to describe yet requires nothing but the will. They are neither mutually exclusive nor mutually dependent. Craft, in my opinion is just another tool at the artists' disposal but it's certainly not the only one.


I still say that if one can't be arsed to even TRY an instrument, one isn't a musician, but a SOUND DESIGNER, a valid means of expression in itself, but bandying post-modern words like "recontextualizing," "appropriative art" and so on just doesn't cut the ice with me. If music should get turned into something totally removed from the physical world, I'd be sad indeed.
Incidentally, this reminds me of my days as a music student. For some perverse reason, conversation around the canteen table turned to "Which faculty would you rather lose - your hearing or your eyesight?" Naturally(?), most of us would rather keep our hearing, as we'd read about all the great blind musicians and singers out there, who we felt had an edge on their sighted counterparts in so many ways - sense of pitch and time, expressiveness, technique etc. Our counterpoint teacher had joined us during the discussion, and when we asked him, he said that he'd rather keep his eyesight. We were all shocked, and demanded to know how he could make such a preposterous statement. He said: "If I kept my eysight, I would be able to continue almost like before, AND I could read musical scores and hear the sounds and the music in my head - without all the human error."

_________________
Where there are too many policemen, there is no liberty. Where there are too many soldiers, there is no peace. Where there are too many lawyers, there is no justice.
Lin Yutang (1895-1976)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
play



Joined: Feb 08, 2004
Posts: 490
Location: behind the mustard
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

I still say that if one can't be arsed to even TRY an instrument, one isn't a musician, but a SOUND DESIGNER, a valid means of expression in itself, but bandying post-modern words like "recontextualizing," "appropriative art" and so on just doesn't cut the ice with me.

"appropriative art" is your term and a very amusing one at that. However, brandying words like "post-modern" doesn't make the technique any less powerful. People have been doing it for a long time. Particualrly in poetry where the recontexualization of words is the basic tool.

Quote:

If music should get turned into something totally removed from the physical world, I'd be sad indeed.


It already is. It's something that happens inside people. It's their experience. What does it matter the medium used to instigate that experience? I mean generally. The medium is a matter of preference rather than necessity.

Quote:

He said: "If I kept my eysight, I would be able to continue almost like before, AND I could read musical scores and hear the sounds and the music in my head - without all the human error."


Interesting. I'd have to go with ears. I could visualize scores AND keep the human error which I happen to like but I sure would miss paintings and film. Can I just lose the legs?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
paul e.



Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Posts: 1567
Location: toronto, canada
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

music is an intellectual process..but it is also physical...why does everyone lament the lack of expressive controllers in electronic music ?

it is possible that a lot of the shallow, same-sounding electronic music tracks that litter the 'net are the result of someone who has no prior knowledge of a 'traditional' instrument...

while john cage totally deconstructed musical structure, he also knew how to play mozart on the piano..no coincidence

_________________
Spiral Recordings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dovdimus Prime



Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Posts: 664
Location: Bristol, UK
Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
I suppose us musos (if that's a sufficiently derogatory term) are too full of hot air to have a valid opinion. Let's trash ALL "traditional" instruments and concentrate on our qwerty skills. I'll concede the point to the intellectuals and crawl back to my primeval ooze, shall I? Twisted Evil


Hmmm. It's not so much the hot air that bothers me as all that saliva. Yuk! You dirty musicians with your wet patches next to your seats...

And don't get all qwerty with me, amino soup boy!

[/b]

_________________
This message was brought to you from Beyond The Grave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Oskar



Joined: Jul 29, 2004
Posts: 1737
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

play wrote:
Quote:

I still say that if one can't be arsed to even TRY an instrument, one isn't a musician, but a SOUND DESIGNER, a valid means of expression in itself, but bandying post-modern words like "recontextualizing," "appropriative art" and so on just doesn't cut the ice with me.

"appropriative art" is your term and a very amusing one at that. However, brandying words like "post-modern" doesn't make the technique any less powerful. People have been doing it for a long time. Particualrly in poetry where the recontexualization of words is the basic tool.

Quote:

If music should get turned into something totally removed from the physical world, I'd be sad indeed.


It already is. It's something that happens inside people. It's their experience. What does it matter the medium used to instigate that experience? I mean generally. The medium is a matter of preference rather than necessity.

Quote:

He said: "If I kept my eysight, I would be able to continue almost like before, AND I could read musical scores and hear the sounds and the music in my head - without all the human error."


Interesting. I'd have to go with ears. I could visualize scores AND keep the human error which I happen to like but I sure would miss paintings and film. Can I just lose the legs?


Being a huge fan of Winnie the Pooh, I'd have to say, can I keep them all, please?

Recontextualization is an interesting intellectual manouever, and it may play havoc with your audience's sensibilities, but there's a difference between using a speech snippet, or even a drummer's breathing, in a specific setting where YOUR use of that soundbyte is what makes it work as an artistic statement, and just obtaining some drum loops, some vocal loops and so on and pasting them together, saying "Listen to my new song!"
In case you think I'm an advocate of bland, competent, inoffensive pap: This weekend I played a short set for the BIG bank that sponsors the Hell Blues Festival. I got a warm introduction from the Company President, and my first words to the select audience were: " I really HATE the Blues!" Twisted Evil

_________________
Where there are too many policemen, there is no liberty. Where there are too many soldiers, there is no peace. Where there are too many lawyers, there is no justice.
Lin Yutang (1895-1976)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oskar



Joined: Jul 29, 2004
Posts: 1737
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
Hmmm. It's not so much the hot air that bothers me as all that saliva. Yuk! You dirty musicians with your wet patches next to your seats...
]


I like that concept! I think I'll try and invent a wind-driven guitar! Do they give grants for that in the EU, do you think?
Wet patches? Why, of course, do you expect us to perform fully clothed? Are you some sort of fetishist? We should be told! Shocked

_________________
Where there are too many policemen, there is no liberty. Where there are too many soldiers, there is no peace. Where there are too many lawyers, there is no justice.
Lin Yutang (1895-1976)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
play



Joined: Feb 08, 2004
Posts: 490
Location: behind the mustard
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:


Being a huge fan of Winnie the Pooh, I'd have to say, can I keep them all, please?



Yes, let's.


Quote:

Recontextualization is an interesting intellectual manouever, and it may play havoc with your audience's sensibilities, but there's a difference between using a speech snippet, or even a drummer's breathing, in a specific setting where YOUR use of that soundbyte is what makes it work as an artistic statement, and just obtaining some drum loops, some vocal loops and so on and pasting them together, saying "Listen to my new song!"


I won't argue with that. As far as havoc goes I'd have to say that's a narrow view of the possibilities. This conversation makes me wonder what you think about abstract impressionism.

Quote:

In case you think I'm an advocate of bland, competent, inoffensive pap: This weekend I played a short set for the BIG bank that sponsors the Hell Blues Festival. I got a warm introduction from the Company President, and my first words to the select audience were: " I really HATE the Blues!" :twisted:


Yeah, not too many innovations in the blues scene since about 1940.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Oskar



Joined: Jul 29, 2004
Posts: 1737
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="play"]This conversation makes me wonder what you think about abstract impressionism.

Quote:


Yeah, not too many innovations in the blues scene since about 1940.

Abstract impressionism:
Well, it's been a while since went to UNI, so that part of my brain isn't really up to scratch anymore ( if it ever was), but I seem to remember liking Debussy's stuff at the age of 14 - still love it! That's quite abstract, though I get the feeling you were more interested in a discourse on said subject. I'd like to, but that's beyond me, I'm afraid.

That last jibe about there not being many innovations in the Blues scene since abot 1940; What can I say? I bow to your knowledge.
Seems I must revise my thoughts on Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Muddy Waters, Muddy Waters et al.

_________________
Where there are too many policemen, there is no liberty. Where there are too many soldiers, there is no peace. Where there are too many lawyers, there is no justice.
Lin Yutang (1895-1976)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
elektro80
Site Admin


Joined: Mar 25, 2003
Posts: 21977
Location: Norway
Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... I guess Debussy probably is a modernist composer. However, modernism in music is a hard nut to crack.
_________________
A Charity Pantomime in aid of Paranoid Schizophrenics descended into chaos yesterday when someone shouted, "He's behind you!"

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
play



Joined: Feb 08, 2004
Posts: 490
Location: behind the mustard
Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:

That last jibe about there not being many innovations in the Blues scene since abot 1940; What can I say? I bow to your knowledge.
Seems I must revise my thoughts on Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Muddy Waters, Muddy Waters et al.


I think of them as rock musicians. I guess it just depends on where you mentally draw the line between blues and rock.

I was actually referring to abstract impressionist paintings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
bachus



Joined: Feb 29, 2004
Posts: 2918
Location: Up in that tree over there.
Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
I get the feeling that this is a bit like Jean Genet - "Property is theft." A very facile statement, I find.


Genet's real problem was that he spent more time writing about sex than practicing it--and it's clear he needed a lot of practice.--but simians are like that.

_________________
The question is not whether they can talk or reason, but whether they can suffer. -- Jeremy Bentham
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 3 of 7 [153 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
e-m mkii

Please support our site. If you click through and buy from
our affiliate partners, we earn a small commission.


Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Copyright © 2003 through 2009 by electro-music.com - Conditions Of Use