electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Resonant Lopass Gate PCB's (New Batch 4/29/12)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 38 [927 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 36, 37, 38 Next
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooh, newcomers specifically for this thread Wink

If you really want to use the 5C4, US buyers will like this deal:

http://www.allelectronics.com/forums.html?page=search&search_query=vactrol&x=0&y=0

Don didn't give me permission to post artwork for his 258 oscillators...oh well.

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog

Last edited by Peake on Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
American Gladiator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would purchase 4 of these definitely.
oscilloclast

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Put me down for 2 also. Thanks!
Muff Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow!! thanks for your efforts on this - 4 for me please!!

thanks!

Muff Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually, please make it 8 instead. thanks!
Dego

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why dont make the pcbs dual? Seems like a lot of space left. Smile
kitsch-bent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm certainly in for 4!!!!

thanks !
synthetic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested in two.
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm working on a single board hosting four gates, but it looks like the market has spoken Laughing

funkyfarm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

34 posts in less than 4 hours and over 50 ordered units ?!

Now that's sure EM.com is closely watched by some Drug&Addiction dept. of some CIA or some FBI Smile
(for sure the MPS thing and its Store-clicking syndrome was already a risky affair)
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funkyfarm wrote:
34 posts in less than 4 hours and over 50 ordered units ?!

Now that's sure EM.com is closely watched by some Drug&Addiction dept. of some CIA or some FBI Smile
(for sure the MPS thing and its Store-clicking syndrome was already a risky affair)

Yeah! I'm certain that people are missing vast financial and social opportunities for not jumping on the Buchla bandwagon! Wink

sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll sign up for 4 - thanks Thomas!
Muff Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you could make 'em into dual boards or quad boards that would be even better

i'm looking to build two seperate modules, with 4 gates each

so it doesn't really matter if each of these is 4 single boards, 2 dual boards, or a single quad board. but the latter options would make things easier

so when I say "i'll take 8", that's "8 gates total". However you want to combo up the boards (or not) is fine with me

thanks again for doing this Cool

Muff Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also I plan to perfboard up something to let me have a switch per gate to select from different speed vactrols. I doubt you'd want to add this to the board, but something to think about anyway. if you did I sure wouldn't complain.
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've read that the 5C4 is way too slow, but I am open to hearing results and deciding for myself.

Also, the most significantly bizarre thing I find occuring in DIY is to take something Buchla out of context...I'm fairly certain that if people DIY'd up some actual Buchla format modules, they'd love it. Same as I've been saying for a decade or so, Buchla is the shiznit (mostly for visual and tactile functionality alongside technical functionality, which is negated through format conversion).

More interest is more interest- Let the Buchla grow and its truth be known.

Cat-A-Tonic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like at least 4 LPGs... maybe more after I think on it. Very Happy
djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Project Update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

Well, there seems to be more demand than I imagined! There have been a lot of great suggestions and I thank you all for those. I must say though, that I got Don's approval based on making a "single section" LPG PCB. My request was to make one for the diy guys out here. Here is a quote from my request to Don...

"This would not be a quad module, and the design
> replaces the IC switching of modes with a manual
> rotary switch. Since the core of this module is 100%
> Don I will not release it without approval. It will be
> a one-off and special run. I am not a manufacturer or
> sales person. I am simply a diy-based musician who
> wants to help my friends in the synth community fill a
> Vactrol/Buchla gap in our modulars."

So guys, please understand I will stay true to this. I am redesigning the PCB to incorporate PCB-Mounted pots for offset and resonance with MOTM spacing between them. This is 41mm from pin 2 of the offset pot to pin 2 of the resonance pot. Combinations of boards in various set up is my goal. Imagine:

4 PCB's for with no switching or input control (like the OG) in 1 panel

or

2 PCB's for a dual unit where section 1 feeds section 2 through jack normalization for double cutoff depth

or

omitting amplitude control altogether to eliminate the switch and stay with filter all the time....

The possibilities here are what interested me to the PCB run in the first place. I have built 3 of these so far and use external mixing for CV's and Audio. If possible, I will try to add a summing stage of a new Op-Amp for extra inputs. My choice will be to have this separated on the PCB as it's own section allowing the end user, you fine Gents, to be able to chose using it for CV, Audio, or nothing at all if you like. This will come at the cost of the Euro power connector. This brings me to a difficult choice...

During today I have been reflecting on the design. I do NOT want to tread on the toes of Doepfer or Plan-B in any way so I will be leaving off the Eurorack power connector. This will be sad to some, but I am making an ethical decision that I hope you can support. From reports, the module CAN be powered from +/-12v so a little wiring harness will be all that is needed. Sorry guys!

Hang in there with me during the finalization of the design. Again, I will finish my redesign, order prototypes, and test them before producing anything. I want to do this properly with some basic build docs and the like so that may take time as well. I hope to have the board finished for protorun by Monday and should have test unit within a week maybe. News will be posted as it comes across my bench. Rest assured I will contact each of you when the time comes, I just can't say these will ship by a certain date. I have seen too much disappointment (Randaleem QFG, Cynthia LPG, etc) to commit to something on my first project. It will get done, and it will be done as right as I can with respect to my disclaimers about design in the first post on the thread. For testing, I will work with others to test the PCB so it will be signed off on by three people before any production begins.

Thanks folks! This would not be possible without the designs posted from DIY community and the original ingenuity of Don Buchla, Peter Grenader, Mark Verbos, and others who have all supported interest in LPG's over the years.

More to come soon!

Thomas

machine.cuisine

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would buy 2 PCBs.

Thanks!
Phillip Jeffries

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

respect!
bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'll be in for 6. thanks for putting this out
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be interested in two.
bugfight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djthomaswhite wrote:

... I am redesigning the PCB to incorporate PCB-Mounted pots for offset and resonance with MOTM spacing between them. ...

excellent!

Quote:

2 PCB's for a dual unit where section 1 feeds section 2 through jack normalization for double cutoff depth

exactly what i had in mind, this configuration will rock!

Quote:

I do NOT want to tread on the toes of Doepfer or Plan-B in any way so I will be leaving off the Eurorack power connector.

i think this is a good decision. we all know these can be tough to make...

i am excited about the whole project, thanks so much for sharing!
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djthomaswhite wrote:

... I am redesigning the PCB to incorporate PCB-Mounted pots for offset and resonance with MOTM spacing between them. ...

Why not just have solder tabs (same for power)? It always takes up prime PCB space when this happens.

bugfight wrote:
djthomaswhite wrote:

I do NOT want to tread on the toes of Doepfer or Plan-B in any way so I will be leaving off the Eurorack power connector.

i think this is a good decision. we all know these can be tough to make...

Prominent MIDIbox'er making a funny. Wink I just pressed my first IDC/ribbon today- I feel so alive.

Thanks to the project leader for respecting Don's territory and wishes. My own 4-on-one-board project is definitely not commercial (or public) for those same reasons.

Serenadi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
concerning the resonance: serenadi observed a selfoscillation of the opamp in the resonance path at a certain position of the potentiometer and in combination with a certain vactrol. he suggested to put a 33pF cap between pins 12 and 14 of this opamp to prevent the oscillation.

The cap has to be placed between the inverting input and the output of the OpAmp (Pin 13 and Pin 14).
It was an error in writing and I've corrected this in the german thread.
http://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/post-294230.html#294230

This oscillation is at very high frequency, cannot be heard, but perceived as a distortion or interference at a certain position of the feedback pot (and can be seen on a scope of course).

And, no, it's not depending on a certain Vactrol.
djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Project Update
Subject description: PCB Revision 1.5
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

Here are some files for your interest. <FILES> I have put together a few revisions and THERE MAY BE ERRORS with this version. Nut my eyes are tired and I am closing up shop for the evening. The latest news is:

1. There is now a MTA-100 power connector for those who like that feature

2. There is a 3 input "jumper selectable" op-amp summer that can be used for three audio or CV inputs, but not both. Couldn't fit two of them on the board so please be happy with one.

3. The pots will be be able to be nice Vishay/Spectrol 248 etc OR Alpha Carbon with .2 spacing (available at Mouser, Bridechamber, etc)

4. Board has a full ground plane and is coming out better than anticipated. I got the spacing looking nice and it all comes down to testing with double-checking signal paths, sending for proto, and giving it a physical test run.

5. The "Mode Switch" can be a 3-position/4-pole rotary or 3PDT on-off-on toggle at your discretion and per your panel design.

6. The Resonance and Deep Switch mods are 100% at your discretion. Res just connect one jumper instead of two. Deep switch just leave off the resistor and don't connect the switch.

I will add the 33pf Cap as mentioned in the previous post. This is a safe move and thanks for the suggestion. More to come tomorrow! Thanks folks,

Thomas

Last edited by djthomaswhite on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 38 [927 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 36, 37, 38 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: