electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
No need to emulate a 303 & New "Love, Haagen" Set mp3
Page 2 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
and now the x0xb0x assembly is 20% done, with some amazing work from Andrew Martens (on livepa.org). Now we have all the parts sorted, and sorted by module in zip lok bags, and the Power module, and 1/2 of the Osc module done. The x0x came alive with a buzz and we could change it's pitch ... coool ....

Now the only problem I could have with the Kit is the Kat. or Kit Kat. If the Kat eats any rare piece, the Kit and the Kat are in trouble.

Shoo... stay away from the big chips boy, they are not treats ... well, actually, they are... but for the ears ...
/Dasz

It looks like your k@t knows how to use the autofocus. That second picture is krystal-klear Wink

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and we're almost halfway done. i have the power, vco, vcf, and env module assembled and tested ...
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dasz,

I bet yr itching to have it finished and start squeeking it?

Very Happy

Slightly OT: I got quite somthing similar to a driven TB sound by accident using a couple of DIY Saw's, one sync the other but keeping both in the mix and then using envelope to control the pitch of sync'd osc. Certainly not a traditonal approach to making a 303 sound but it seemed to certainly have a 303-ish quality.

I'm pretty sure I saved it, I'll dig it out if anyone is interested?

Last edited by iPassenger on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still on the list, looks like I am not in the latest batch. Crying or Very sad
iPassenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Poor old Bob. Sad

I feel for you dude. If I had my name down the wait would be murder.. slow painful murder...

dasz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ross,

my x0xb0x played it's first notes through the complete signal path (VCO-VCF-VCA + Env, I/O Midi and audio) ... big grin ... this sunday we're putting in the sequencer, LEDs, etc and the CPU, etc ... we're over 60% done and it's taken about 11 hours so far.

aaaaand .... now I have a recording of my new Love Haagen set, but it is 30MB and I cannot upload it here at e-m due to the attachment file size limit. Can you recommend a good place to upload it so others can download it without having to sign up? I don't want to use myspace ...

Re Bob's spot on the list ... as you know, lady ada mentioned that they sourced chips for 500 more units! and that the tags will be laser etched ...

http://forums.ladyada.net/topic-7109-0-0.html

so have faith and no expectations ... that did it for me ... (Heck, I have someone who is knowledgeable soldering it for me, I did not expect that either)

/Dasz
iPassenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know of any host Dasz that will hold a file for an indefinite length of time for you, without signing up for an account (although most a free), like say fileden or whatever.
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
aaaaand .... now I have a recording of my new Love Haagen set, but it is 30MB and I cannot upload it here at e-m due to the attachment file size limit. Can you recommend a good place to upload it so others can download it without having to sign up? I don't want to use myspace ...

Hi Dasz,
maybe you can try MegaUpload, YouSendIt or RapidShare?

misty.

dasz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks mother misty... I'll look into that.

Yay!!!!! and here is my new x0xb0x #853 alive and well after 18 hours of assembly work with Andrew Martens. Acid and squeltchy ....

Tuning is still a bit off, I can't get MIDI in to work (but midi out works and plays and slaves my g2), and we have not put in the mods yet (res mod, vco-out/vcf-in).

Demos of the combination of x0x and g2 at this point is attached to this email. it is a simple fx patch with a kick drum and the x0x is going into the g2, and can be crossfaded between dry and od (and it is running through OD module and shaper and then some eq for color) and a delay (well, of course).

when the mods are done. i intend to use x0xb0x (vco out and cvf in mod) in the following way -- the x0x vco itself to use for pitch tracking control in the g2 which will, ahem add a few more oscs and other things before going into the vcf, and then back in the g2 for more flourish) ...

i suppose this is a good way to use a g2 with analog synths as the pitch of the analog synth may be slightly drifting and this should be picked up by the g2 pitch tracker of course ... hmmm ...

more to come... Smile Smile Smile Smile
/Dasz
ps.: Still grinning ....

P1010015sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.61 KB
 Viewed:  277 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

P1010015sm.jpg

x0xb0x853_fx_dz.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  x0xb0x853_fx_dz.mp3
 Filesize:  5.61 MB
 Downloaded:  1217 Time(s)

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounding good to me already!
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got more stuff in the g2 now and the x0x is finally slaving to my g2 (it was pretty easy to figure out). even without the mods, DAMN!

G2 overdrive ideas -- The G2 od (with eq's) and shapers and comb filters are fed by my xoxboy (the name for x0xb0x #853) for total techno insanity ... it just can't sound bad .... DAMN!

griiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn ....

so, uhm, to keep this discussion on topic, i have not been able to get my effects to sound so smooth as when they are driven with the xoxboy (when I run the audio sources internally)
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just recorded some takes of A/B comparison (x0xb0x and a g2 303-like patch crossfading into one set of g2 od / comb / eq / sat etc)

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-209245.html#209245

Enjoy.
/Dasz
iPassenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahh 303 goodness.. great sounds on this and in the link especially.
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Can you recommend a good place to upload it so others can download it without having to sign up? I don't want to use myspace ...

Or you can try SoundCloud
(it''s going public in 1 day!)
http://soundcloud.com/

They have a damn good player and people are able to listen/download.

misty.

dasz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks mother misty!

That one looks the nicest ...

btw, now I am running a patch (3 voice poly for more phat) which plays the x0xb0x from the G2 (midi notes, and then the x0x is fed back into the G2 which then processes it all and adds another filter ...

all I can say is whoa.... the analog osc and filters add so much more presence...

just as with my waldorf xt, the x0xb0x is a good fit for the g2 ...
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aaand last night the x0x was modded and now has boosted resonance, a power switch, and vco out vcf in mod (with a switch to engage or disengage the curcuit for on-the-fly switching between the internal osc and external input for live situations)

audio demos of this combination with the g2 integrated between the osc and the filter, will follow

x0x853modz_sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.09 KB
 Viewed:  124 Time(s)

x0x853modz_sm.jpg

dasz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished connectecting the vcf out and vco in cables and created a test patch. The layout is as follows

x0x-vco-out
-> G2 in4 (with pitch tracking, and more oscs, and a few more fx) then out4
-> x0x-vcf-in-vca-mix-out
-> G2 in1

I turn the effect on and off and I add and remove oscs and fx on the oscs before the filter in this recording.

I think this little monster adds a lot of warmth to the g2 sound. I have a lot to learn, but I think in time and with more work, it can sounds like a hell of a decent 1+ (as many as you need) osc 18db synth Smile, with a filter than can be shaped within a G2 to add more character) Smile

and it does have a MIDI play mode which means it can be played by a g2 synth and it's modules)Smile

The resonance boost is very nice and sharp (and turned on in the mp3 when you hear the percussive sound with heavy Q)

Joy! The x0x is a great deal if you can score one for your G2 ...
/Dasz

x0xb0x_vco-out_g2_vcf-in_DZ.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  251.64 KB
 Viewed:  128 Time(s)

x0xb0x_vco-out_g2_vcf-in_DZ.jpg

x0x-vco_G2_x0x-vcf-vca_G2 _DZ.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  x0x-vco_G2_x0x-vcf-vca_G2 _DZ.mp3
 Filesize:  6.24 MB
 Downloaded:  1048 Time(s)

Last edited by dasz on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
dasz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and here is the new "Love, Haagen" set!

http://soundcloud.com/dasz/love-haagen-performance-dasz-shaw-ca

Thanks mother misty Smile
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i must say I feel drained ... too much xoxboxing ... phew ...
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing I noticed while passing the x0xb0x through the G2, is that the x0xb0x loses some of the meat/presence and sounds a bit thinner than when it is hooked up to my mackie mixer directly. no big surprise, i guess due to the g2 dac's ...

I did try this while running the vco out vcf mod through the g2, and it sounded fat while it's vca out was connected directly to the mackie...

now I'm thinking I'll use my fx sends (pre-fader) and run the x0x on it's own dedicated channel. oh well...
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

now the x0xb0x sounds cleaner (running through the mackie) and can be used without running through a left g2 exp (not the right g2 exp which acts as master this and master that)

... bliss ... transistor bliss ...
joy! yeah!
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and now for some results of my experiments now back in the G2 land.

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-212337.html#212337

/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am working on the new template for sets "3, 4, 5 ...", I have the x0b0x doing really cool stuff, but then a big part of this is the G2 as a sequenced oscillator for the xoxbox. and it sounds bad ass. but my sound card is not co-operating. will post result when I get it running.
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pretty interesting
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the real idea for a good 303 osc is use a shape osc A on the 3rd wave (curved saw), then connected 2 saturate modules in series and set their curve to 4 and knob to max (for both in the chain).

this is close to the x0x osc. if you use the wave shape knob to morph the shape osc A wave to a sine, it will sound like a sweeping a saw to a square due to the extra amps ...

very close to the x0xb0x osc sound ... but meatier
Page 2 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: