electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
NMG2 Engine & a great companion...
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ManuMontevideo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: NMG2 Engine & a great companion... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In this days I'm doing to me a template inside my MIDI Controler, Novation Remote 25 Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
that one adpats perfectly to the NMG2 Engine and my taste of course Laughing

The questions...thinking
I have seen the front panel of the Nord Modular G2 Keyboard and in the right hand, there's 5 parameters pages(A, B, C , D, E) and to its left 3 buttons (1, 2, 3).

1) why they serve ?

2) Reading in the manual study I have not been able to find how can assing MIDI parameters to this Parameters Pages and the buttos that are to their left, ¿how could I assing this?

With the second resolute answer, the template in the MIDI Controler will be completed Rolling Eyes

P.d. Sad The spellcheck does not take well with Safari Navigator Embarassed and my english write...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The eight knobs on the G2 can control any parameter in a patch, almost. There are pages of parameters that you can select with the 8 page select buttons, 3 groups of 5 gives 15 pages. Each page just is a different map of what the knobs control.

If you use another MIDI controller, the pages have no function at all. The pages are just ot make the G2 a better controller, that's all.

Don't worry about your English. Worry about my Spanish...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ManuMontevideo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks mosc, and anothert question, or it's better to ask it in another onother post? Confused

I've got a little problem:

I charge one performance through the editor ok, next Icharge one patch, I exit from the performance mode pressing the button in the editor but the performance continues sounding so I go to performance settings and press stop.

The question is ¿can i assing a to my MIDI controler this STOP of the performance or the exit of it?.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer this. I don't know how to go into and out of performance mode via a midi command. But even when you make this change by pushing on the Perfomance Mode button on the G2 front panel, nothing changes as for as the playing goes. So if you have a patch that is playing off of a clock, no matter if you are in performance mode or not, you'll probably have to stop the clock that is driving the patch, or patches. There are many ways to gate a clock, so I can't give you a simple answer for that.

I would guess that if you are using the internal G2 master clock, there is a midi command that this will respond to, but I'm not familiar with it. Maybe someone else can help out here...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Changing Patches and Performances over MIDI works as follows:

First, set the G2 (Engine) up in a way that the Slots are always in different MIDI Channels as the Global Channel, e.g. Slots A to D in MIDI Channels 1, 2, 3 and 4, and set the Global Channel to e.g. MIDI Channel 16.
Note that the Global Channel is set to Off in the factory (I don't know why). Set it to 16 in the Synth Settings menu in the Editor.

Then the machine can be set to Performance mode. This can be done with MIDI CC#19 in the Global MIDI Channel. MIDI CC#19 in the Global Channel is used to switch between Patch and Performance mode. Send either a value of 0 or 127. MIDI CC#19 can be freely used for other tasks in the Slot Channels.

So, send MIDI CC#19 with a value of 127 on Channel 16 to change to Performance mode.

When in Performance mode you can send a Program Change command in Channel 16 to load another Performance from the current Performance bank in the G2 Performance memory.

A Program Change in the Slot Channels 1 to 4 will load a Patch from the current Patch bank in the corresponding Slot (AFAIK).

MIDI CC#32 will select a memory bank. If send in the Slot Channels 1 to 4 it will select a Patch bank, but when send in the Global Channel 16 it will select a Performance bank. Then use the Program Change to either load a Patch or a Performance, depending on the MIDI Channel you send the command in.

Note that all keyboard note info that is sent in the Global Channel will behave like it is played from the G2 keyboard, so it will use all the Performance split, layer, etc. settings for the Slots.

Volume for the Slots is simply MIDI CC#7 in the Slot Channel. There is no way to control the overall output volume of the G2 over MIDI, as the main volume knob is a simple passive potmeter.

To control the running or stopping of the Master Clock use the MIDI Start/Stop/Continue commands. Which are commonly send by the Play, Stop and Pause buttons on a hardware sequencer.

If a Patch uses a ClkGen module that is set to Internal it can be stopped over MIDI if a MIDI CC# has been assigned to the Run/Stop knob on the module. This can be basically any MIDI CC#, so you should check in the Editor if one is assigned and if not asign one yourself.

Personally I greatly appreciate patches where the ClkGen is set to Master, as that can quickly solve 'surprises when loading performances' by simply stopping the Master Clock from a Stop button on the controlling piece of sequencer hardware/master keyboard.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great information about the master clock from the master mind...

Thanks, Rob. That clears up a lot for me. I didn't know a lot of that, especially about using the Global Channel for the master keyboard. I'll have to try that. I think it will solve a bunch of problems I've been experiencing.
General Elektrick

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, THANKS ROB!

You have so much information and you are so kind to share it among the
community, which is highly appreciated by me and sure others as well!

In order to may give a little benefit back to you I have to ask what happend to the plan of writing a G2 Book?
If you still feel like doing this, I will buy it for sure and I bet a lot of other would do so as well! Very Happy

Best ,
General Elektrick
rnp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi guys, my first post here..

...and I just got to jump on the question of the G2 engine and an external controller, specifically the r25 since I have one of those cursed Remote 25 Audio and am looking at buying the G2 engine next month. how is the mapping of controls working out? Is it feasible to make one "general" patch on the r25 to control all relevant G2 parameters and how fast and easy is remapping controls in the editor, is it all CC or RPN/NRPN too? thanks for any hints.

cheers,
.martin

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to the forum, rnp.

Can't answer about that particular MIDI controller, but it's easy to assign virtually any G2 parameter to a MIDI CC. Not sure about RPN/NRPN though.
rnp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks mosc, I didn't even look at the downloadable editor until last night, done that now. seems like a breeze making a couple of multipurpose controller patches for different Nord Mod applications - it doesn't seem to have Midi Learn, but that'd be asking a lot.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure does! Turn a knob and when you right click a parameter that knob will show up in the menu. Or, you can turn a knob, click on the parameter and press 'L' and it will be assigned. Cool
rnp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great, probably only works when an actual G2 is present, which makes sense if the g2 relays the incoming midi data to the editor. thanks, Afrokid.
ManuMontevideo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks very much Rob well-done well-done banana banana dancing
ManuMontevideo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rnp wrote:
hi guys, my first post here..

...and I just got to jump on the question of the G2 engine and an external controller, specifically the r25 since I have one of those cursed Remote 25 Audio and am looking at buying the G2 engine next month. how is the mapping of controls working out? Is it feasible to make one "general" patch on the r25 to control all relevant G2 parameters and how fast and easy is remapping controls in the editor, is it all CC or RPN/NRPN too? thanks for any hints.

cheers,
.martin

I cannot response you with exactitude because I don't understand very well what you say, but I've one Remote 25 and I make a template for the Engine with the parameters that I have considered more important for my daily use.

It's the best MIDI Keyboard controller that I've had. thumb up
rnp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for your reply! It's ok now, I found a great deal on a G2 keyboard and will get that one next week, really looking forward to the red beast.
steampump

G2 patch files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: is it all CC or RPN/NRPN too? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just start with the G2 Engine and i have recieved the Remot25 to.
Manual says : NRPN , RPN, MMC and Sysex can be programmed.

There is just a little problem with the G2 manual delivered with Engine ......
It does not explain a lot about control over midi . (Is a bit light for an expander without buttons)
You can assigne all module by CC# control but for basic control like how to access to the 8 varation the say only: use CC#70 (but not wich value or if it need others...)
my config seems not working ( CC#70, value 1 to 8 , chl (1 to 4 )

Other big question what control for RUN ( and ) Stop RUN ??
I've try start stop from a master (Elka MK55 and the MMC buttons from Remot25) No success...

www.armuco.ch

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The MIDI implementation section in the 1.24 manual is much better, you can dowwload it from the Clavia site.

To make variation control work use 0 for for variation 1, 8 for variation 2 .. 56 for variation 8. I think the step is 8, could be 4 but probably not as then you would have noticed it work but strangely.

MIDI clock start/stop can bee done by using the MIDI clock start and stop commands.

Jan.
steampump

G2 patch files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Control over G2 Engine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jan
Your advice push me forward
it is partially exact step value is 16
CC#70 value 8 for variation 1 , value 16 for variation 2, value 32 for variation 3 , value 48 for variation 4, value 64 for variation 5 , value 80 for variation 6, value 96 for variation 7 , value 112 for variation 8.
Midi chanel is not needed.
Programming on Remote25 this morning , all avariation works now.

Found also the problem for Start/ stop on Elka MK55 . I was on the false output
Midi output 1 is without midi clock
Midi output 2 is with midi clock

Remote25 seems not able to handle with midi start and midi stop command....

I just begun and G2 Engine Help page for beginner (in french)

www.armuco.ch

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Control over G2 Engine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

steampump wrote:
step value is 16

Ah yes you are right of course, my mistake : 128 / 8 is 16 not 8.

See that's what 'normally' is the mapping used by Clavia for the G2, 128 divided by the number of steps the thing to control has, but not always ... some tinkering is needed sometimes.

Jan.
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: