electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
SINE wave from CMOS?
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
aerogramma

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: SINE wave from CMOS?
Subject description: any advice on how to get one?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!
i've been building my first CMOS based devices in the last weeks and had a lot of fun... and probably avoided to go bankrupt too Smile

I really like the rawness that comes out but I'm also an indestructable SINE wave lover

Is there a simple way to get a sine wave from a CMOS IC?

thanks and all the best from here

aero

Wink
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CMOS are inherently digital, and sine waves sound like they do because they are not. A very steep low pass filter would reduce a square wave to mostly just it's fundamental harmonic, which would be close to a sine wave, but it wouldn't be spot on. Almost certain to contain higher harmonics to some degree. And even then, it would have to be re-adjusted for every note.
Maybe you can waveshape a sine from a square, but I think they tend to use saw or triangle because it's a lot easier.
Sorry.

jnuaury

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

theres two ways to do this
one follows the concept of bit depth and the other is similar to sampling rates

"bit depth" method
you use a divider and make a "dac" with resistors after a square wave to get a sine wave essentially with a bit depth of however many divisions you use

also youll need to clock the square wave at a muh higher frequency than the pitch you want to be the sine-ish wave

link
http://www.robthefiddler.com/electronics-audio-diy/circuit-experiments/big-johnson-signal-generator/

"sampling rate" method
use a counter after the square and then run the separate count outs through resistors (or pots) set up as voltage dividers... its more or less a really fast sequencer and once again you need your square to be much higher than the sine-ish wave

link
http://www.milkcrate.com.au/_other/sea-moss/#8a

urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not quite simple, but lookup Walsh functions. You don't need a DAC.
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check out this thread:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-23878.html

The first post from para includes a sine/tri cmos oscillator.

brgds

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
jnuaury

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

urbanscallywag wrote:
Not quite simple, but lookup Walsh functions. You don't need a DAC.

i hope i didnt overcomplicate things by relating dividers/counters to bit depth/sample rate...

the dac i was talking about is just a resistor ladder

Image:R2R.png

you route the square wave to a divider (i like the 4040) and then you take different divisions and wire them to the bit inputs on the diagram
different resistor values and different divisions will give you different waveforms...

using a 4017 clocked 10 times above the frequency you want the output to be can done with less trial and error as you can map 10 points onto one period of a sine wave and use that to pick resistor values for each output or just use (trim)pots to tune it in a similar manner to the ian fritz double deka vco

urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No I don't think you are over complicating things, its just bizarre that the Walsh generators don't need a DAC. Shocked
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

urbanscallywag wrote:
its just bizarre that the Walsh generators don't need a DAC. Shocked

Laughing math = fun.

aerogramma

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

Laughing math = fun.

...if you can really handle it... which i'm not sure i can LOL

thanks to anyone who's repling!

Wink

aero
urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
urbanscallywag wrote:
its just bizarre that the Walsh generators don't need a DAC. Shocked

Laughing math = fun.

Is that why it makes my head hurt? Laughing

I just wanted to add that I'm sure there are cheaper and better ways to generate a sinusoid using CMOS, Walsh functions are just fresh in my head.
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

haven't tried these, sin_0001 looks the more interesting of the two -

sin_0001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.76 KB
 Viewed:  453 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

sin_0001.jpg

sin_0002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.24 KB
 Viewed:  459 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

sin_0002.jpg

urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem with these circuits is making them tunable (let alone voltage controlled) right?
jnuaury

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

urbanscallywag wrote:
The problem with these circuits is making them tunable (let alone voltage controlled) right?

well the second one andrew posted does appear to be voltage controlled already.... the pot (im assuming it controls frequency) is wired as a voltage divider supply the circuit 0-15V depending on its position....

urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess both of them have pots, but they just aren't included in the equation. Oops!
jnuaury

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well the first circuit has the pots wired as variable resistors (rheostats)
but the second one the pot actually divides the voltage meaning you could remove the pot and toss a cv in where the wiper was connected (pin 14)
theoretically at least

urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I see that. But when I looked at the equations I didn't think they were tunable even though I did see the pots.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first one seems to be a drum osc, where the sine fades out at a rate controlled by the variable resistor.
urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I saw the trigger input and thought it was like a bootstrap to get the thing oscillating.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's about the same thing ... when it can be set to oscillate forever.
urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see, the pot is decay control, and with the suggested 22k resistor it should oscillate with continuous amplitude?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When its really a drum osc, but I'm < 100% sure, it would likely decay to zero with 22k. So basically I don't know Wink
urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing OK if LTSpice has the appropriate components I will try it.
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: walsh dac? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK..i am no expert. BUT i thought that walsh functions at least as outlined in the Electronotes supplement s-008 definitely DO need a DAC.

I quote from the heading "Digital to Analog Conversion" from supplement s-008 (which is a great read by the way)

"it is of course necessary to combine the various walsh functions in proportion and in the proper sense to get the proper waveform for the calculated walsh coeffecients. Four possible methods are shown below"

one of the methods the show is just a simple opamp summer but even that if used with a resistor for each walsh function is summing the separate functions into one analog waveform...

or at least that is how i understood it. (since all wash functions..like squarewaves are just a combination of high and low, or on and off/1 and 0, and if you can get a sine out of that there has to be a D to A process somewhere.

really not that much different than the Counter method with the resistor ladder someone already mentioned. except walsh functions (i think) could end up a lot more complicated if you want to build the whole first 31 functions. you need a lot of xors and flip flops. and then they still recommend filtering the result.

i find these walsh things really interesting and hope to build a working generator soon.

but really, SO MANY circuits use a simple DAC that i think the term DAC sounds much scarier than it is.

there is a great article free to the public on useful walsh stuff... and it has examples of getting SINES from just a few functions at

http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/schematics/walsh/walsh.pdf

great topic! thanks andrew for putting up those cool schematics! are they from the cmos sourcebook?

urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I started looking into Walsh functions after you asked on SDIY (I asked if anyone had samples). I built/simulated the 31 function generator in software. It doesn't need a DAC. Its bonkers. Laughing
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am very confused. so you mean in software it doesnt need a DAC? what software did you use? i would love to hear some samples!! is it worth getting into?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: