electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Roland VG-99 pickup selection?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Roland VG-99 pickup selection? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, I got the GK-3 installed and calibrated after a nerve wrecking procedure (I'm no guitar tech!).

Now I wonder if it is possible to use the normal pickups on the guitar together with the COSM guitars. I've read the manual and it's not quite clear on this point. The only way I can get to hear the normal pickups, so far, is by disabling the GK-3 with "GK connect" = OFF, and that disables the COSM guitars. The pickup control box has a MIX position, hinting that it may be possible, but how... if at all... ?

DJ
--

Last edited by DrJustice on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha! Found it! Smile

The last page of each COSM guitar algorithm has controls for COSM level and Normal pickup level.

DJ
--
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff.

What I would recommend is saving away a few sets of GK setups on the VG99.

So keep your "optimal" calibrated set, and also create a few more sets reducing the sensitivities of the strings for each one so you have a set of SK settings with different sensitivities.

The synth type modules work best when you use one of the GK sets with lower sensitivities, also distorted type patches can also work out better with lower sensitivities, you need to experiment a bit. Using the stock patches and changing GK setups is a good way to see the differences. You can set the GK setting you want the patch to use and this is saved with the patch.

With the GK pickups these different settings this make quite a difference, if you are using piezo pickups then the difference can be huge.

I have also dusted mine off and have been playing with it a bit today.

Andy
DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll make good use of the GK sets. I've read a bit about GK-3 calibration, and the consensus is, in accordance with your observation, to generally use lower sensitivity.

A couple of Qs's for you GK veterans:

How do one correctly measure the distance from nut to bridge? The bridge has 6 individual saddles... I went for the Les Paul setting which is 628mm - that seem to be more or less the distance from the nut to the center of the bridge assembly on my Gibson SG Standard.

The "yoke" (new term for me, that) of the pickup seems to be too slightly small (i.e. too small radius on the pickup curvature) even when adjusted to it's flattest setting. I've managed to get the string to pickup distances within the range 1.2 - 0.8 mm. Is this good enough?

The sensitivity settings are all over the place, in the range 30 - 55, to acheive a uniform amplitude across the strings. I guess that's normal, being dependent on minute differences in pickup distance and string material.

I've attached a picture of the GK-3 as installed on the SG. As you can see, the pickup is at an angle - I had to do this to achieve the minimum distance of 10mm from pickup center to bridge saddle for the E4 string. Those distances now lie in the range 10 - 17 mm.

DJ
--

SG_GK30001_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.51 KB
 Viewed:  307 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

SG_GK30001_1.jpg

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Center of bridge sounds fine to me. Or have a check on the Gibson site as they will probably show the distance.

I think as long as the strings are roughly 1mm from the pickup when you finger the highest fret you should be ok, some people have it set lower to avoid crosstalk between the strings.

I wouldn't worry about the sensitivity settings being all over the place my GK setup is also like this.

Andy
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reassurances, Andy! It's new territory this, and I want to be sure that everything set up to perfection. I think the setup is OK now, for a first go at it. The GK-3 seems to track perfectly - I'm impressed with the performance.

DJ
--
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: