electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Oct. 21 - There's a 2nd short Quadatrix video up :)
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Oct. 21 - There's a 2nd short Quadatrix video up :) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(I've forgotten how to grab the html code for displaying the actual video here in the message. Sad Sorry about that.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/dolphinicus

This is a short (just over 3 minutes) video giving a very simple demonstration of 1/4, of what the Quadatrix 4 x 4 step 1V/octave Sequencer of mine WILL become. Smile

The Quadatrix in the video has only 2 of it's coming 4 sets of 4 step 1V/oct. semitone sequencers. (There'll be 4 of them as well as 4 sets of 4 step 1V/oct. Octave sequencers).

This sequencer will be providing the ability to change the frequency of any of the 16 steps using rotary switches to select the played semitone as well as 1 of 3 octaves, for each step. Vertically, horizontally, diagonally, at random and in forward or reverse.

Currently, it's horizontal and vertical controllers are 2 x the Ray Wilson MFOS Sequencers, set up as Gate Sequencers only - as well as 4 x Ken Stone Master Dividers. (2 of his old version, modified for 7 divisions of the input clock as well as 2 of his new version with 4 dividers, each split into 0, 90, 180 and 270 degree divisions of the main input clock.)

Each of the MFOS Sequencers will also have each of their 4 controlling bits buffered and brought out to the front panel, for extra clock division control of the Quadatrix.

There'll be more videos of the Quadatrix coming during the building of it's next required modules.
Once I have 4 each of the semitone and octave 4 step sequencers - V1.00 of this sequencer will be complete. I'll also be posting the complete schematics for the entire sequencer in this thread.

Odd. Smile I posted the video to my youtube site last night as well as in the Design section of my web page. When I logged on this morning, I saw that there had already been 80 (eighty) viewings!
scratch Huh?? I never even advertised it anywhere. I wonder where all the viewers CAME from in the 1st place? scratch Cool, though. Smile

Also - once version 1 is completed, I'll be getting back to work on the final version of the Liquid Hihat as well as building the first prototype of the KAOS VCLFO and posting their schematic updates and videos to here, as well. Smile

Last edited by Rykhaard on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You mean inserting the video in a body of your message ?

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yusson wrote:
You mean inserting the video in a body of your message ?

Embarassed Ummmm yes. Very Happy Thankee! scratch Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:
scratch

Find the text " Intégrer cette vidéo sur votre site" on the youtube page, highlight the text in the box below it, copy it and paste it into your message.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's this thing with the melody sequencer going forwards and backwards?
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jan! In looking about, I FINALLY found where the 'embed' code is that I can copy, for pasting. Smile

Blue Hell wrote:
What's this thing with the melody sequencer going forwards and backwards?

Mmmm. I can't remember where I writ that, but - using the 4 bits from Ray's MFOS Sequencer (the 4 bits decide which of the 16 steps are playing), the 4 individual sections of the Semitone sequencer and / or the 4 sections of the Octave sequencer, may be played forward or backwards. Smile

At work tonight, I started working out patches for playing the 16 steps vertically; then switching to playing them horizontally. I think at some point, I may have to make a 'patch book' for this thing, with the huge variety of possibilities that it'll have. Very Happy
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:
Mmmm. I can't remember where I writ that

Maybe I misunderstood, at around 00:40 in the vid the 2nd module from the left in the lower row having rows of four leds, the 2nd row goes forwards and backwards, that's not the melody thingie ? it seems to be correlated ....

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Rykhaard wrote:
Mmmm. I can't remember where I writ that

Maybe I misunderstood, at around 00:40 in the vid the 2nd module from the left in the lower row having rows of four leds, the 2nd row goes forwards and backwards, that's not the melody thingie ? it seems to be correlated ....

Ahhhh! It's the bit count controlling that of the 2 sequencers. Smile Bit 1 is cycling faster than Bit 2. So LED's 1 and 2 are alternating. Then Bit 2 flips high, so that LEDs 3 and 4 are alternating. Then Bit 2 flips low and LEDs 1 and 2 alternate again. Smile (If I'm recalling correctly. I can't run the videos on this machine, as with anything intensely graphic, it powers down. Sad )
Shall clarify when back from vacation on Tuesday. Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think i get it, thanks!
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
I think i get it, thanks!

When I get the last 2 of the 4 step sequencers added to the panel, I'll do a complete explanation video, explaining how everything works. Smile It'll be confusing to some people right now with not much of anything explained. The power possibilities of it though are huge. Surprised Smile
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looking good so far

some form of note quantisation would probably help if you want to change notes on the fly Smile

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
looking good so far

some form of note quantisation would probably help if you want to change notes on the fly Smile

I should be ok there. I've bought a slightly larger dowel for making knobs from. I'll be using that for the Fine frequency control on my VCOs and Frequency on my VCFs, as well as for Semitone and Octave switching on the sequencers.
They'll have the notes from C to B marked on them as well, to make them visually easy to see for switching quickly. Smile
In the few tests that I've tried so far, without any knobs, the switching hasn't been too hard at all, whilst the sequencers are cycling.

I'm hoping to stay away from quantizers completely, having rotary switch switching ability for the pitches. Smile

Sequencer 3 of 4 was started earlier today and should be finished by tomorrow afternoon before work. The 4th semitone sequencer should easily be finished by this weekend and hopefully, the multiplexer as well, so that I can start switching between the 4 sequencers as the main driving engines are cycling away. Smile
This is the biggest part that I'm looking forward to, as I'll be able to start switching notes horizontally across the sequencers as well as vertically. Very Happy

Once the 4 x 4 sets and multiplexer are done, I'll THEN do an explanation video to get the idea across, much more clearly. Smile
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:
Once the 4 x 4 sets and multiplexer are done, I'll THEN do an explanation video to get the idea across, much more clearly. Smile

what about a little scetch? a diagram would be helpful for me at least. Very Happy

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
Rykhaard wrote:

what about a little scetch? a diagram would be helpful for me at least. Very Happy

I never thought of that! I'll see what I can start doing for that. I'll post it here as well as in the Design section of my webpage. Smile

NEW video up! There's a full explanation of it in the Design section of my webpage: http://www.damian.deathlehem.com/design

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lovely stuff
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
lovely stuff

Thankee muchlee sir! It'll only get better once the 4th and last sequencer is completed, as well as the multiplexer, to switch between the 4 of them. Smile THAT is when it'll truly start standing out. Very Happy Should be done within a week. Once they're completed, THEN, I'll do a full instructional video (or set, there of) along with schematics / detailed info. / diagrams / schematics, at my web site. Smile
Luka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there are some crazy things going on there rych!
how come the stages are jumping back and forth?
what is controlling that?

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:
there are some crazy things going on there rych!
how come the stages are jumping back and forth?
what is controlling that?

Each of the 4 sequencers, are 4 steps long. Which of the 4 steps in each of them is played, is controlled by the input of 2 bits. (HIGH / LOW voltage).

When 1 of the sequencers has no HIGH bit coming in to either input, it's at step 1.
When 1 of the sequencers has a HIGH on Bit 1 (of 2), it's at step 2.
When 1 of the sequencers has a HIGH on Bit 2 (of 2), it's at step 3.
When 1 of the sequencers has a HIGH on both Bits 1 and 2, it's at step 4.

Each sequencer has 2 Bit inputs, as well as a Bit THRU (exactly like MIDI Thru), to echo it's control out to any of the other sequencers.

Any Bit cycling type (or any BIT for that matter) can be input to control which step is currently 'live'.

The steps that are live, are fed to (in these 2 demos) a VCO, then a VCF and finally a VCA.

1 of my 3 MFOS Sequencers, are controlling the envelope generators that are controlling the VCFs and VCAs. I tell each step of the MFOS Sequencer's Gates, which beat #'s to play at.

And that - is how the Quadatrix CURRENTLY, operates.

When I have the 4th and final 4 step sequencer done, there will also be an 8 input multiplexer. Which of it's 8 inputs is selected, will be controlled by it's 3 bit inputs.

The 4 sequencers Voltage outputs, can then be input into any of the multiplexer's 8 inputs, to decide when they will be live, in a VERTICAL manner. (The 4 sequencers themselves, are operating in a HORIZONTAL manner.)

When this panel is complete, it'll give me the ability with 16 steps, to come up with essentially, an endless combination of patterns. Smile

There'll also be an OCTAVE version of this sequencer, for octave changing. Otherwise, it'll be the exact same setup. Smile
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: