electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Snappy pop for Hot Buttered popcorn
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sitarman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Snappy pop for Hot Buttered popcorn Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am having trouble getting the "pop" sound for emulating the song popcorn . Just cannot get the filter/envelope combination snappy enough on my G2. Any suggestions?
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, unless you're set on Hot Butters demolition of Popcorn, you could shoot for the originals sound - I don't think any ultra fast envelopes are needed... But more importantly, Gershon Kingsleys original is ca. 1.9e47 times groovier than any of the ripoffs Wink

You can listen to the original here.

DJ
--
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ran across this sound once while messing around with a self-oscillating filter. What do you think?

No bashing the original, but that minimalistic Hot Butter version is probably the single greatest reason that I got into synthesizer music in the first place. I love it, especially when it sticks to the march rythm and doesn't try to jazz it up. Smile

/Stefan

sbt_popcorn.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  sbt_popcorn.pch2
 Filesize:  1.7 KB
 Downloaded:  1801 Time(s)

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
...No bashing the original, but that minimalistic Hot Butter version is probably the single greatest reason that I got into synthesizer music in the first place.

Ah.. yes. It's probably the De Facto Synthesizer Music for a lot of people. I don't know if that's good or bad... good thing is that it has recruited many eletcro-musicians. I only discovered Kingsleys original a few years ago. It's well spaced out with driving heavy synth bass and everything - pretty rad in 1969 Very Happy Hot butter is allright (I also got a kick out of it once upon a time), it's just that people generally don't know about Kingsley and I think he deserves the credit. Oh, and speaking of Kingsley, here is a recent rendition of Popcorn by the man himself!

DJ
--
sitarman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for patch and trip down memory lane. The Hot Butter album was the first Moog alblum I owned.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: