electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
analog sequencer
Page 2 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
renegadebliss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubblechamber wrote:
The Zeit is great, I'm lucky enough to live within driving range of Analogue Haven and I've had the chance to spend some time with it. The only problem I have with it, and the GenoQs octopus also, is that they are midi sequencers and have no CV output standard.
If I were looking to buy an analogue seq. I'd probably get another MAQ16/3. It's a great 3 track sequencer with CV. and ALOT cheaper than the Zeit($2999US)+how ever much the CV option will cost+sending Zeit to them and waiting....
But if I had nothing but midi gear this would be the greatest sequencer ever made.

I have a P3 and a seperate Midi-->CV/Gate converter and it works without ANY problems. I personally would (and did) purchase a sequencer with MORE capabilities and add the cv/gate seperately than to buy a Sequencer that is not up to my standards that has CV/Gate built in....

One of the best things that I did was trade my MAQ in for a P3 Wink

Dave
elemental

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm now looking for another analog sequencer.
Had an Oberkorn 3 for a few months now - it is a great sequencer, but its a bit too complex and cumbersome for what I need.

Basically - I would like something to create sequences for my analog modular; 3 cv destinations would be nice, different gate lengths, SWING!, midi control, and an intuitive interface; something that could be used live also.

Looks like the P3 and Frostwave Fat controller are both discontinued now.
uberman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
I've just bought another MAQ for sequencing my analog stuff, whilst the P3 covers the midi stuff Smile

Is there any word on the progress of the P4?
morbius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Analog Sequencers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To get the full benefit of analog step sequencers at their best... each stage needs both 'trigger-inputs' and trigger-outputs, and is found only in Moog 960, Synthesizers.com Q960, and COTK 960. The synth-dot-com has extras you'll want to look into. These trigger ins and outs are designed to connect to various other devices, such a 962 sequential switch, a Moon Modular M564 sequential switch, and of course, other 960 sequencers. it's an unbeatable combo for on-the-fly and improv performance.

You'll see some 'fancy-looking' sequencers which have trigger-outputs... but I'm not aware of any that have trigger inputs... and this is a big part of the whole 'open-ended' patching which Robert Moog originally designed. Of course, you give up 'presetting/storing the notes/sequences (unlike digital)... but then digital cannot 'perform' and 'improv' like the 960's.
Think of it... Moog made 'em (when Moog was making modulars)... Synthesizers.com makes the Q960 (with extras)... and COTK make their 960... it's gotta have some perks to have that much demand.

One thing... I seem to remember you saying you don't work with CV's... only MIDI. Too bad. The 960's only work with CV's and triggers. You'd have to convert CV's to MIDI in order to use it.

IMO... MIDI has it's place... as does digital/virtual.. and analog. But by far... analog is the most fun... creating sounds and patches that no one has ever heard... not bound by menus... and you can mix and match modules from many different makers... in digital land, that would be plug-ins... If the worked, and if they were any good.

morbius001a@yahoo.com
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While not available to anyone but me, my DIY synth has many more useful features than the 960 and its clones. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9425.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
morbius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
While not available to anyone but me, my DIY synth has many more useful features than the 960 and its clones. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9425.html

Then... I guess it's of no use to anyone... but you Wink Unless, of course, you want to leave it to me in your will or somethin'. Very Happy

morbius001a@yahoo.com
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to make it available as a DIY, but so much work to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
morbius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I'd like to make it available as a DIY, but so much work to do that.

I wouldn't mind seeing a good pic of the front panel... and/or any detailed 'user' points... (as in, what makes this unit superior in it's capabilities to at 960, or Q960. You can either post here , or email to me directly if you want.

I'll be doing reviews for the Moon Modular M563, and M564 (very kewel). I don't know that I need to get the Quad Quantizer which has just been released... I have the COTK (Deopher) Dual Quantizer, which, on the surface, which has several switchable modes, where the Moon Quad Quantizer looks like it's just a straight 1/2-step quantizer x4.... and I am sooooooo out of space.... just today, I moved my Ring Modulator and two multiples to the rear of my studio cabinets... and I've got three dotcom Q961's I'm not even using. Maybe I otta sell those puppies. (anyway---)

morbius001a@yahoo.com
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, you poor boy, it's such suffering with too many analog modules... Laughing

The link to my sequencer page explains it pretty much. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9425.html

morbius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Oh, you poor boy, it's such suffering with too many analog modules... Laughing

The link to my sequencer page explains it pretty much. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9425.html

Yeah.... that's kewel. I don't really use the up/down control on my Q119's... like, hardly ever (seems too obvious for some reason)... but I would if this was a VC'd jack/switch, so I could use a voltage to change directions.

I notice that (looking at the photo) the input jacks at the bottom... (what is trig-in and trig-out on the 960)... is VC 'skip', and VC 'halt'. Obviously, just 'looking' at it, vs. actually using (and/or designing/building) it, gives one much more insight. (And also, this isn't a 'this one is 'better' than that one... nyah, nyah)... but-

I've used many of Moog's 960's... but what I have now, are Dotcom's Q960's... which are a tad more advanced (modes available for each stage = skip, normal,stop, and reset)... so you can manually set different reset-points* .... and there's more about this later. Also... I didn't see trig-in and trig-out jacks for each individual stage (1-9)... only what looks like trig-outs at the end of each row... (and bypassing the V & S trigger differences for the moment)... does that mean that the trigger outputs are at the end of each row... just like the CV outs are?

See... either I'm missing something... or- there is not way to use a trig to 'jump to' 'X' stage, from 'Y' stage (what stage you're at) while running. I see the VC-skip jacks... and the VC-halt jacks (taking those labels literally). I don't see how you could patch a trig/gate from (let's say) trig-out #1 from a 962, and patch that to cause the sequencer to go to (an arbitrary stage)... like stage #6, every other cycle (cause by the 962's cycle being triggered from the 960's stage 1 trig-out).

*I'm also trying to see how the reset-point(s) could be manually, sequentially (with sequential switches), randomly, or by using a second Q960, or a Moon Modular Trigger Sequencer, changed without using any of the controls onboard the sequencer itself.... like using specific patches to achieve the above mentioned methods. (it very well could be that the photos labels are misleading me... or- that I'm just plain ol' stupid. Rolling Eyes

The Q960 can be easily modified so that you have full control over the width of the internal osc.s pulse via patching to any voltage source... so you can do some incredible 'altering' of the Q960's normal left to right, or 1-8 stepping. You can make it run backwards/forwards, and/or in patterns (which includes skipping stages alternatively) which also can be made to vary... semi-randomly, and/or full random... and random which is from a mixture of white and/or pink noise... and/or any waveforms (though a sawtooth or ramp tends to yield more interesting, and can be melodic patterns). Additionally, using one or more manual trigger-bus(es), and/or sequential switches and/or VC-switches to alter the reset-points from a second Q960, which is 'shifted' in sync with whatever master clock you want (be it the first Q960, or an osc., or another external clock)... hell-fire... it can get to be hairy just describing it.

But- .... no 'on board' portamento... Sad ... but it can be patched-in, and even using two or more slew-limiters, each set with separate up/down times and/or lin/expo settings, and patched-thru VC switches, so that they are only active at desired times.

But be reassured... I say all of that, knowing full well that you built that wonderful unit... in '73 (?).... and that, in itself, is quite an accomplishment.

I guess... bottom-line... those jacks at the bottom... both VC 'input' jacks?... and the V & S trig-output jacks at the end of each row... trig-outs for each row? (not individual stage?).

morbius001a@yahoo.com
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

morbius wrote:

I've used many of Moog's 960's... but what I have now, are Dotcom's Q960's... which are a tad more advanced (modes available for each stage = skip, normal,stop, and reset)... so you can manually set different reset-points* .... and there's more about this later. Also... I didn't see trig-in and trig-out jacks for each individual stage (1-9)... only what looks like trig-outs at the end of each row... (and bypassing the V & S trigger differences for the moment)... does that mean that the trigger outputs are at the end of each row... just like the CV outs are?

The two jacks for each stage are Jump (maybe what you are calling reset) and Gate out. So you could patch the out of one stage to the in of another to get a short sequencer of sorts. The inputs are something like 1/4 volt, so any signal can be used, more or less.

The switches are sort of a buss that connects each stage to the V and S trigs at the right. There are three busses.

Fwd/Rev is, of course, voltage controlled.

Quote:
(it very well could be that the photos labels are misleading me... or- that I'm just plain ol' stupid. Rolling Eyes

Yes, very good. The labels are incorrect. Idea

Quote:
The Q960 can be easily modified so that you have full control over the width of the internal osc.s pulse via patching to any voltage source... so you can do some incredible 'altering' of the Q960's normal left to right, or 1-8 stepping. You can make it run backwards/forwards, and/or in patterns (which includes skipping stages alternatively) which also can be made to vary... semi-randomly, and/or full random... and random which is from a mixture of white and/or pink noise... and/or any waveforms (though a sawtooth or ramp tends to yield more interesting, and can be melodic patterns). Additionally, using one or more manual trigger-bus(es), and/or sequential switches and/or VC-switches to alter the reset-points from a second Q960, which is 'shifted' in sync with whatever master clock you want (be it the first Q960, or an osc., or another external clock)... hell-fire... it can get to be hairy just describing it.

That sounds like a lot of fun. On the Clavia G2 there are some funny things the sequencers do when they are clocked in non-intended ways too. Smile
Quote:

But- .... no 'on board' portamento... Sad ... but it can be patched-in, and even using two or more slew-limiters, each set with separate up/down times and/or lin/expo settings, and patched-thru VC switches, so that they are only active at desired times.

Yes, slew limiter modules are more flexible, but having them built in is convenient.

Quote:
But be reassured... I say all of that, knowing full well that you built that wonderful unit... in '73 (?).... and that, in itself, is quite an accomplishment.

Thanks, but if I was going to redesign it today, It wouldn't be much different.

Quote:
I guess... bottom-line... those jacks at the bottom... both VC 'input' jacks?... and the V & S trig-output jacks at the end of each row... trig-outs for each row? (not individual stage?).

Well, the correct explanation is the left one under each stage is a VC input that causes the sequencer to jump to that stage, just like pushing the little red button. The right one is gate out.

You didn't mention the voltage controlled stage selector, or the 8 channel analog multiplexer. Wink

Synthrotek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We make step sequencers, check out our our 8 or 10 Step Kits. I will a 16 step ready soon.

http://www.synthrotek.com/category/8-step-analog-sequencer-kits/
morbius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, Howard- it sounds almost as if we're nearly talking about the same functions.... 'jump' = trig-in, and so on. I can be 'open-minded'... but, regarding the labeling (trigger-in; trigger-out; CV (control-voltage); gate(s); and... uhhh what was it?.... Ah! .... where you were talking about the 1/4-volt (inputs).... I'd equate that to "Threshold".... which on the S.com modules are 1.5 volts, pretty consistently (at least for stuff like EG inputs, and similar things.
The reason I kinda lean toward labeling 'things' as to what they do, or 'are'.... is, for times when you might want to use them in ways that weren't at the front of the designers' mind, when he/she designed the noodle-bait, in question. For example: in an ever increasingly hypothetical patch, where I may want to use a sequencer as just one sub-part, of a more complicated patch... (and not really as just a sequencer for pitches... but to use the timing, stepping, and trigger ins & outs, for control of some other module.... and- the sequencer (in the signal-flow of the patch), may be somewhere in the middle... and is probably set to react to some output(s) from one or more other modules.... seeing "jump" may not make as much sense (esp. if teaching students), as 'trigger-in'.
"Trigger-In" leaves little doubt (unless maybe uncertainty of an actual 'trigger', vs. a gate).... (which has actually been an issue that needed to be addressed on the S.com)(and has been). Moog's strategy was to make you convert one type of voltage (system-wide), to another... and back again.... (S-trig & V-trig). Then, most modulars began to just use a 'gate' voltage, and 'Control' voltage... and, for most things, that's enough. But for an "open-ended" sequential-controller like the 960/962.... sometimes, you actually need to be able to select between a 'gate', and a 'trigger'... because in some patching situations, a 'gate' will not work as needed... (and visa-versa).
I find myself thinking... what if there had never been a 'standard' agreed upon for MIDI... and every manufacturer used different methods, names for functions (like Port. vs. glide), and just generally, everyone do whatever they want? Man... anyone who thinks some things have a sharp learning-curve now.... wOw! Jeez... what if each synth used different names for each type of waveform (not just sine; tri.; saw; ramp; sq.; rectangle???). Where many of us would catch-on sooner or later.... think about the guys, who have a hard time grasping analog-modular synths, as they are now.

Cheers... (it's 'oodles-of-noodles time').

mosc wrote:
morbius wrote:

The two jacks for each stage are Jump (maybe what you are calling reset) and Gate out. So you could patch the out of one stage to the in of another to get a short sequencer of sorts. The inputs are something like 1/4 volt, so any signal can be used, more or less.

The switches are sort of a buss that connects each stage to the V and S trigs at the right. There are three busses.

Fwd/Rev is, of course, voltage controlled.

Quote:
(it very well could be that the photos labels are misleading me... or- that I'm just plain ol' stupid. Rolling Eyes

Yes, very good. The labels are incorrect. Idea

Quote:

That sounds like a lot of fun. On the Clavia G2 there are some funny things the sequencers do when they are clocked in non-intended ways too. Smile
Quote:

Yes, slew limiter modules are more flexible, but having them built in is convenient.

Quote:

Thanks, but if I was going to redesign it today, It wouldn't be much different.

Quote:

Well, the correct explanation is the left one under each stage is a VC input that causes the sequencer to jump to that stage, just like pushing the little red button. The right one is gate out.

You didn't mention the voltage controlled stage selector, or the 8 channel analog multiplexer. Wink

morbius001a@yahoo.com
SugarRatz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is there a way to midi clock the maq i dont see midi imputs on it -

forget this - i have one now -- i love it -- that little lcd screen is well cryptic though!

Page 2 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: