electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Genoqs Octopus
Page 4 of 4 [83 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good demos to be sure, but I like it best with all three playing simultaneously. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Buchla 200e and Genoqs Octopus Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Dayflight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I do not agree to what you said. The Octopus is a production machine for all kinds of music. Techno, Dance, POP ....., Ambient / Chill Out.
I work with an ambient initiative in Germany NRW called "Ambientcircle".
Here I use very often the Octopus to trigger my Soft- & Hardware synth in
an ambient context.
Go to

www.ambientcircle.de

an go to sessions for download or session ambient music. Very Happy

You can also watch the fotos or videos to see the Octopus in action.

The Octopus can do like you want. From Techno to Chill.

v-un-v wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

Well.. I don´t want it. Like.. I´m not sure what I would need it for. No doubt that it must be great and all that though.

Shocked

But it's one of those things like tabletop Space Invaders- a great conversation piece- and you can't fault that it looks great in the dark Cool

The problem with the youtube vids is that Dieter (I'm presuming that's Dieter?) makes programming look like child's play, but later on there is another really tedious video of some dude just pressing (what looks like) thousands of combinations of buttons only to end up with a really bog-standard rave-like sound. There are parallels here to be drawn with software- where the actual programmers of these machines will excel with them, but people who just want a quick return will struggle, then look elsewhere.

As a tool for dance music (and repetitive Tadream sort of stuff) , I think the Octopus is a real winner, but for more organic linear sounding things it's not really made for that I think? But to be honest, since I've bought a computer, I've made far less music than I did when I had made-for-purpose equipment (and no computer!).
Dayflight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YEP: € 2.399 for the Classic machine.

But in the meantime the Nemo is out for € 1.399,- (a smaller Octopus.)

Go to www.genoqs.com.

seraph wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
How much? (gulp!)

at Chateau Sonore, Gabriel Seher talked about 2400 euro, if I recall correctly. see here.
Dayflight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy The 8 Basic Demonstartions were made to show persons how they can do some key performnce things. Users asked for this. They were not made to perform a song.

On youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFYCmtVF0Vk

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwjw3p0d9kU&feature=related)

you can watch two ambient session (no. 4 and 6) where I used the Octopus (like in otheres).

ripe909 wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

Well.. I don´t want it. Like.. I´m not sure what I would need it for. No doubt that it must be great and all that though.

Shocked

But it's one of those things like tabletop Space Invaders- a great conversation piece- and you can't fault that it looks great in the dark Cool

The problem with the youtube vids is that Dieter (I'm presuming that's Dieter?) makes programming look like child's play, but later on there is another really tedious video of some dude just pressing (what looks like) thousands of combinations of buttons only to end up with a really bog-standard rave-like sound. There are parallels here to be drawn with software- where the actual programmers of these machines will excel with them, but people who just want a quick return will struggle, then look elsewhere.

As a tool for dance music (and repetitive Tadream sort of stuff) , I think the Octopus is a real winner, but for more organic linear sounding things it's not really made for that I think? But to be honest, since I've bought a computer, I've made far less music than I did when I had made-for-purpose equipment (and no computer!).

That "some dude" was me. Somebody requested a video of real-world basic usage of the Octopus. Although Dieter's videos don't show it, he has to prepare the Octopus for use in the studio. This includes setting MIDI channels, setting base track pitches, etc. I showed setting up a very simple track from power-on, although it's not sexy, it is part of normal usage!

I will try and post up some more advanced videos on some topics that Dieter has not covered. Also, I may be of a different mindset than most who use such a sequencer, but it wasn't the sometimes random, otherworld modulation capabilities of the Octopus that attracted me. I use it as a fairly straightforward multitrack sequencer, constructing complete songs. Admittedly this is one area where there will be room for improvement on the Octopus (song construction). Right now there is only the page clustering concept (chaining multitrack loops). The machine is flexible enough to serve in both manners.

cheers
ripe
Dayflight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject:  Octopus / Nemo
Subject description: Live programming
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 8 videos I have made should show a little bit how differtent functions works on the Octopus. People asked for that. The idea was not to produce a complete song. I like the videos of ripe very much but my intention was different. Normally I used the Octopus in a similar way like ripe (in studio and live). Next I will produce a performance video...promised!
DaLuke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Octopus is king of sequencers...
Subject description: very complex machine indeed

Hi,

I have bought one of the first Octopus machines from Gabriel and Marcel (who are both Romanians living in Germany)...very clever guys I must say.

I have had in the past these:

Latron Notronic (funny name...nice machine)

Doepfer MAQ16

Manikin Schrittmaker

Doepfer Schaltwerk

At the moment I am still in the possession of few sequencers:

Korg SQ10 (and the Korg MS20)

Roland MC4B (bought from Vince Clark)- Yazoo; Depeche Mode; Erasure

Roland 100M custom made sequencer (the only one in the world) made by a big fan of these modular synths who is a member of the Roland 100M forum (rytnik) I also have 12 modules (4VCO/2 VCF/2VCA/2ENV/1 Ring mod/1 mixer) in 2 cabinets plus the 181 keyboard (Imagine these plus a Ssytem 100 expander and all these lovely sequencers....

I also use the Future Retro Revolution/ Atari ST 1040

With regards to the Octopus there is nothing out there to match its power and flexibility...and the craftmanship is second to none. However, the credit crunch caught me 10.000 pounds in the red....so I am selling my Octopus for a mere 1750 pounds. Since the pound is now weak I am not getting a good deal but I must do this before the criminals at Amex/MBNA/Barclays/RBS, etc will take my house away...Sorry Gabriel but when I will be back in (sound financial) shape I WILL get it again...although you will have to make me a Black Sea edition with blue LEDs just for me...I hope you agree that I deserve one...
Dayflight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Octopus
Subject description: Selling your Octopus

Very Happy Selling your Octopus....a horror idea but I understand the reason why.
Hopefully Obama will help Very Happy and you can buy a Black Sea with blue LED´s from Genoqs.

Good Luck Very Happy
Page 4 of 4 [83 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: