electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
RMC Fanout box
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: RMC Fanout box
Subject description: You know you want one
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With one of these http://www.rmcpickup.com/fanoutbox.html you can extract the 6 audio streams from your hex pickup.

Also you can send 6 channels of audio to a GK compatible device.

Using this you can not only re-amp but also re-guitar using one of the VG units.

Cool eh?

Andy
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what you're tellig us is that there is a specialized gear head branch just for hex pickup accessories Shocked

And yes, it is cool... this could become far worse than I thought Very Happy

DJ
--
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! Instead of stereo, we now have hexeo, or is that sexeo?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its Hexaphonic, although Sexaphonic sounds fun.

I have a Fanout box and originally I got it to try to create a guitar synth like the Roland GR300, of course like all my plans this never got anywhere.

Currently it isn't connected up but I am going to be sorting all my gear out soon (when my new racks arrive) and I have a spare motu 828mkii hanging around so I will probably connect it up to that and start playing with it again.

The SoundBite Dev Board I have may come into play as it has 8 inputs and could handle the job quite nicely, if only I had the time and ability!

Andy
bugfight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that box is cool. thanks for the link.

here's some info for diy types:
http://www.unfretted.com/loader.php?LINK=/profs/breakout

not the same features, but much cheaper...
ReaktorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: RMC Fanout box Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
With one of these http://www.rmcpickup.com/fanoutbox.html you can extract the 6 audio streams from your hex pickup.

Also you can send 6 channels of audio to a GK compatible device.

Using this you can not only re-amp but also re-guitar using one of the VG units.

Cool eh?

Andy

Fantastic ! Never thought this was possible before...
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, now having six channels of audio is way cool to me, but what are you going to do with them? I tell you what I would do, I'd do the lower two strings on thunder effect and the middle on drums and the upper on cymbals. That way when you play you can really jam out!

What would you do?

ReaktorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The upper three strings dirty and the lower chorused clean.. that's the first thing comes in mind.
ReaktorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm getting curious about this box, how's the splitted audio quality compared to standard pickups ?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well the audio is dependent on the type of Hex Pickup you have on the guitar.

You do not get the same sound as you would from a normal guitar pickup, for a peizo hex pickup on an electric you get a pretty thin sound.

Devices like the VG99 take the hex pickup audio and then allow you to emulate other pickups/guitars, the VG99 for instance can turn these signals into:

Electric
=============
Passive Strat
Active Strat
Telecaster
Les Paul
Les Paul with p-90
Lips
Rickenbacker
L4

Acoustic
============
MA28
TRP-O
GB45
GB Small
GLD40
Nylon
Sitar
Banjo
Resonator

Bass
==========
Fender Jazz
Fender Precision

Synth
==========
11 different synth types

You can have two emulations running, each with its own FX chain and amps, you can also change tunings, emulate 12 strings etc.

You can also set up your own guitar, in the image yiou can see I have set one up with two single coils out of phase with each other.

So with the Fanout box I can record the 6 channels of audio along with the audio from the VG99 (say a clean strat), a bit latter I may say I wonder what this will sound like using a LP rather than a strat and then send the 6 audio tracks to the VG99 and setup a dirty LP instead.

Powerfull stuff.

Andy

VG99.jpg
 Description:
VG-99 editor
 Filesize:  731.66 KB
 Viewed:  1002 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

VG99.jpg

kenl666

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: How are you getting the audio into your computer? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently purchased a hex pickup from someone on the tapeop message board* and am in the process of building the guitar but I still haven't figured out how to actually get the audio into my mac.

What I want is 6 instrument inputs, firewire output, and the capability to assign each input to a different audio track in Logic Pro. This would give me the capability to capture each individual string's output as a separate audio file in one pass, and then process/mangle each separate audio track as desired.

It looks like the MOTU 8pre will fit the bill, are there any others that might come in at a lower price point? Or can I use the line-in inputs on any other interface? My understanding is that the guitar pickups need to be run through an instrument preamp, you can't just plug them into a line in input because there isn't enough gain, is that correct?

*: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/topic-55820.html , they're now $80, http://messageboard.tapeop.com/topic-58987.html and a very good deal. I don't officially speak for the seller, just a satisfied customer.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well you could try using line inputs and then amplifying in logic you may run into noise problems.

Probably worth a try if you already have an interface.

I am pretty sure that the fanout box doesn't have any amplification in it and I had that connected through a motu 828 before and got ok levels.

I am going to connect it up again over the weekend and will let you know.

Andy
kenl666

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Well you could try using line inputs and then amplifying in logic you may run into noise problems.

Probably worth a try if you already have an interface.

I am pretty sure that the fanout box doesn't have any amplification in it and I had that connected through a motu 828 before and got ok levels.

I am going to connect it up again over the weekend and will let you know.

Andy

I tried my regular guitar into the line-ins, that worked although of course the level was pretty low. That gave me the idea though to just build a DIY 6-channel instrument > line level preamp. I googled for schematics and found a few possibilities.

Thanks for the idea.

ReaktorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Well the audio is dependent on the type of Hex Pickup you have on the guitar.

You do not get the same sound as you would from a normal guitar pickup, for a peizo hex pickup on an electric you get a pretty thin sound.

So with the Fanout box I can record the 6 channels of audio along with the audio from the VG99 (say a clean strat), a bit latter I may say I wonder what this will sound like using a LP rather than a strat and then send the 6 audio tracks to the VG99 and setup a dirty LP instead.

Powerfull stuff.

Andy

Yes, it'll open up new wonderful possibilities for guitar. Is VG99 a physical modeling device ? So i guess the audio is only providing the pitch/volume info..
bradben

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RMC doesn't have the new fanout boxes in stock yet. Does anyone happen to have an old one laying around to sell? They rarely pop up on ebay and tend to go quick.
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the VG-99 is a physical modeling device. Models include guitars, amps, synths, stompbox pedals, etc.

Keith McMillen's new StringPort might be a more elegant way to get six channels of audio from a guitar (or bowed string instrument) into a computer via USB 2.0 connection:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2008/Keith-McMillen-Instruments-StringPort.html

It comes with a software suite as well.

A musician who has both a VG-99 and a StringPort w/laptop would be quite dangerous.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That StringPort looks pretty interesting.

It doesn't seem to offer the flexibility of the RMC device for sending audio data to 13 pin devices but it has the massive advantage of not needing a bloody great snake and a 6 input audio device and it looks like there is some MAX/MSP analysis stuff in there as well.

I might just get one.

I don't know if it would make me dangerous though Smile

Andy
fixed1t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: RMC Fanout Box Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi I'm a newbie and just came across your thread about the RMC Fanout Box They are really brilliant enabling you to multitrack record each of the HEX guitar strings and play them back as individual strings into you guitar synth, i.e. GR-1 GR-20 or alike.

you can then process and edit each strings recording and correct errors. Not being a lead guitarist I was always frustrated that I couldn't do a fast enough lead line to output the note to digital tracks and then turn them into real TABS rather than the made up ones you buy.

Unfortunately the aged hands are a bit too stiff to take up lead so I haven't used the RMC since I bought it and have now put it on ebay. The other great thing is the ability to drive say a VG-8ex and a gr-20 at the same time.

Cheers fixed1t

The fixed1t name came about as i love resurrecting old and sick synths and getting their voices back to their original glory, like playing a ukelele in an old folks home.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Its all getting out of hand now!

Here is the new plan:

6 hex outputs, piezo output and pickup output from fanout box going into StudioKonnekt 48, and 8 outputs from the Konnekt going back into the fanout box.

StudioKonnect 48 connected via adat I/O to a RME Fireface.

StudioKonnekt 48 connected by firewire to SymbolicSound Pacarana.

RME Fireface connected to MacPro.

Guitar connected to fanout box. 13 pin processed Output of fanout box going to VG99. 13 pin direct output of fanout box going to Axon ax100mkii.

VG99 connected via spdif to the Fireface.

Axon ax100 mkii connected to Midi Express 128.

Midi express 128 connected via usb to MacPro and also midi connected to Pacarana.

Think what you could do with that!

Andy
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Well Its all getting out of hand now!

That's remarkably self-observant Wink

Quote:
Think what you could do with that!

Shocked Confused . . . Idea Cool Exclamation

The hexaphonic -> Pacarana connection must be the perfect match for some hitherto unheard goodness Very Happy

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, I'm quite interested in re-synthesis of the hex audio on the Pacarana.

Also as a poly fx box especially using the timeline triggered by an envelope follower or midi.

The Konnekt has arrived so I will set up that side of things over the weekend.

The Pacarana should be arriving in the second week of April.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well the first phase is setup, the Konnekt48 is connected to the RMC Fanout box and over ADAT to the Fireface and then onto the mac.

Had a little play putting echoes with different timing on each string in Ableton Live and then passing the sum to a compressor and then through a clean Waves GTR Amp with a warm sort of setting.

So for people that are wondering this is from a piezo pickup from RMC on a Brian Moore i91.13.

248Echoes.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  248Echoes.mp3
 Filesize:  678.08 KB
 Downloaded:  1441 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang! I wish I could play guitar like that! Wow!
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its the echoes that make it sound ok Smile
baranger1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy,
That sounds great!

I cant wait to hear where you take it.
Now you can get REALLY deep into things!

Any latency problems?

Bill Ruppert
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: