electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
What's everybody up to?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rogan

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: What's everybody up to? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I noticed that everybody is being kinda quiet lately, so I thought I'd take a poll to see what everybody has been working on in the past few weeks.

I've been working on sequencers, drum loops, bass sounds, melodies and trying to improve some of my reverb algorithms.
kijjaz

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've never been ChucKing for quite some time.
I'm quite busy working on many music project this time, but still spending my free time playing around with music softwares on Linux.

For audio programming, i've just played in an electronic concert,
but I mainly used Puredata that day.

Hey now i'm having a new idea again..
After playing with some dataflow programming languages.. for example, puredata..
(especially how I can create new object instant on-the-fly and connect data),
If we can create a system that can work that way,
but using ChucK as the engine...

Maybe this all can be coded in ChucK. (still no need to build GUI, just a system for it to work like that is enough)..
Maybe just one class in ChucK that can manage this..
So we can create ChucK objects with live commands and connect them, give directions to signals and calculation,
thus creating ChucK-powered dataflow programming language!

Oh my brain -_-"..

I need coffee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Music-wise I had a few gigs, played my own sequencer at a local festival and played records here& there. Good fun but nothing too extraordinary. I'm seriously considering kicking the hardware mixer out of my liveset and mixing everything in plain ChucK, that should save weight but it will also enable me to sample my synth on the fly, provided I can think of a way to compensate for latency somehow.

Code-wise I've been experimenting with some cheap wireless tilt-sensing game-devices; http://www.myrealplay.com/ Those things work as USB HID devices and are being dumped in bargain bins; just ignore the PS2 games; they should work with your PC/Mac; as far as I can tell they are 100% standard compliant.

I've also been trying to make LiSa sound like turntable scratching with mixed results so far.... but the experiments have been fun.

Slowly getting the hang of making radio, the people that have a show before mine are really into SC so that's nice. I was happy to feature Les's song about a puppy who chews on stuff last time; I like that one.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have spent the last 3 weeks coding a chainmaille weave generator program in POV-Ray. I also wrote three articles for a chainmaille website and participated in a chainmaille chatroom.

I just got my production prototype of the accelerometer on a USB interface too! I need to stop playing with chainmaille and start testing this device, updating the web page and such.

I arranged for kijjaz to get one of these babies and as a happy coincidence, the owner of Ultimarc has a Thai wife and will be visiting kijjaz's city this month! So they are making arrangements to meet and exchange the prototype for some fun interaction. Ahh, what a small world this is!

Kassen, if you're mucking around with tiltsticks, I bet you would like to get your hands on one of those as well. I can make that happen, you would just have to promise to spend some limited amount of effort testing and evaluating it. In addition to being a 3-axis accelerometer that looks like a joystick to ChucK, it also has an expansion port for buttons, pots, and slow analog or digital inputs. So you can build a club-stompin' control gizmo with it if you like (and tiny-small too)! Just let me know, preferably by email if you want one.

Thanks for the thread, rogan, I gotta get back into music!

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where I was this week;

Text& pictures report;
http://steim.org/jamboree08/?p=437

Video excerpt;
http://steim.org/jamboree08/?p=571

Great fun.

telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been busy, busy this week. Outside of music and art:

* my fiancee rolled her car completely over. She escaped totally unhurt thank god. we're content to share a car anyway. it was stressful for her and myself

* i got a job! i've been laid off for 3 months, i was starting to drive myself and the aforementioned fiancee crazy. I'm going to be working as a mentor (sort of a teacher/friend) for two mildly developmentally disabled (ie 'retarded') people. They're a couple, which is really sweet. I met them both the other day and it seems like it's going to be both easy, relaxed, and rewarding. I love the kind of work I do. I formerly worked in a group home for 10 schizophrenic men so this is gonna be way more low-key. pays the same = jack shit.

* went to court, again, yesterday, on this bullshit 'resisting law enforcement' charge. they're offering me a shitty plea where it remains on my record and I have to do community service. i am simply not guilty (of anything other than accidentally riding my bike into a crime scene), and the cops on the scene were totally out of control. I got choked out by one officer when both of my hands were on my bike's handlebars, and violenced by others shortly after, my glasses sent flying. they never told me to put my hands behind my back nor did they ever read me my rights. i spent 11 hours behind bars in a really shitty lock up. don't get arrested in indianapolis without a sweater == it's freezing in there and they like it that way.

* been selling a lot of my art, or i should say Getting Ready to sell it. I was (am) part of a big group show here in Indianapolis, and came *this* close to selling a big canvas to the daughter-of-the-owner-of-the Indy Racing League. She was concerned about it fitting in her house. I was concerned about paying my rent this month. The gallery is trying to 'broker' a deal on another piece I have. I also got a visit from the gallery I work with down in South Carolina (artisticspiritgallery.com); they're basically waiting to see if I sell 2 of the pieces in the show: if not, they want to buy them. They've been sort-of long term collectors/dealers of my work and they're really cool. they specialize in outsider/visionary art. my art website is markalanmiller.blogspot.com if anyone's interested. It's a huge part of my life.

**EDIT** - I'm diagnosed with bipolar II and all of the above stressors have been pretty tough on me. I 'rapid cycle' like crazy, for those of you who know what that means. I almost checked myself into the hospital 3 days ago because I was at the depths of despair. Later that day I could palpably feel myself rising out of that and into a manic state, which I've remained in more or less since (helps with job interviews!). This partly explains the length of this post. Smile I enjoy mania, but I wear my GF out with all the rapid talking, wild behavior, etc. I've learned to be somewhat aware of how it's affecting me (and the people around me), which is helping. I'm also a recover(ing)ed addict and alcoholic which is all very tied-in with the bipolar stuff. I just smoke weed nowadays, but I used to have massive heroin (no needles luckily) crack, and pill problems, in addition to drinking about every day for 6-7 yrs. I'm only 28 so I'm THRILLED to have pulled myself out. Many don't make it. I did and I'm excited.

Ok, music, then! :

* Sort of been dividing my time between the following: playing guitar, learning chuck, learning max msp, and creating great noise in Plogue Bidule (which is incredible IMHO). I've made significant progress in max and chuck, both have offered some small 'breakthroughs' in the past week despite all the other stuff going on. I look forward to continuing with chuck in particular and gaining some coding skills I just don't have yet. I do have fun, though.. plenty.

**EDIT** - Also been having a blast sitting upstairs and playing my WSG (www.musicforouterspace.com). The gentleman that built it (our own RF) built a speaker in, so it's totally portable. Really awesome idea and it really works well. The volume knob, I have realized, alters the timbre in interesting and surprising ways, especially thru the speaker. I've been doing some experiments with unstable-sort-of states just between two sounds. Last night I was getting some great 'glass marbles cracking together' sounds out of it. It's a great machine for meditation as well I'm finding.

Thanks for reading, folks, it's been one of the wildest weeks of my life. Course, doesn't it always seem that way when you're crawling out of the fray?

Peace
Marck
kijjaz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

now i'm preparing for another electronic - experimental concert..
i've been putting DC motors on an acoustic guitar and tune the strings
and connect electric circuit with the motors heheeheh...

now it can sound very industrially ambient.

i'm so proud of my cheap guitars that i've been modifying -_-" ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tell us more kijaz.. sounds cool..
any other mods?
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He's waiting on a nice little surprise from England, eh what?

Grin Smile

kijjaz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've usually been modifying acoustic instruments:
guitars, recorders.

now one guitar I have is modded for bowing with some sympathetic strings.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_string )

and another is inserted with 9V batteries for sitar sounds.

i've been making reeds from drink straws for inserting into recorders.
there was one recorder that i punched more holes for a wider playability range (almost 1 and a half octave that's easy to control)

hmmm.. -_-' i'm planning to mod more guitars.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kijjaz, did you talk with Andy about getting an accelerometer board? He said he would give you one.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: