electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
G2 - midi stuck notes
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
boxcolony

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: G2 - midi stuck notes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys, I'm having this dilemma every time I play in live.

My set up is a Nord G2 controlling a Korg Wavestation SR assigned in SLOT B (midi channel 2). meaning all other slots A, C and D are internal G2 sounds.

Now here's my problem (not that much but from time to time it gives me headaches): If i'm in Slot B (playing my SR) then I change slot say A (key pressed) to use a lead sound I get stuck notes from my SR.
The only way to remove the stuck notes is to change the midi Channel assignment in the SR to a diff channel and back again to channel 2 to reset the stuck notes or go back to slot B and press all the same keys that I just pressed.

Now i can actually avoid it by lifting my hands off the keys before I change slots but it ain't worth it sometimes.

Can you help me out with this matter. Is there a way to create a module that I can place in slot A(or other slots) that would have a midi command for slot B for note off?

I would definitely appreciate any ideas or solutions on how to deal with it.

SALAMAT (thank you)

eric
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: G2 - midi stuck notes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

boxcolony wrote:
Can you help me out with this matter. Is there a way to create a module that I can place in slot A(or other slots) that would have a midi command for slot B for note off?

You could try using the "All Notes Off" CC message (controller number 123)
Sorry I can't try it but you would need a way of initiating the message on slot focus change (???).

Or maybe just use the other slots keyboard gate so the CC is sent whenever you press a note in the new slot.

I don't know if the CC should go to slot B or the midi channel of the Korg.
boxcolony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Ian, I'll try to experiment on the CC#123 when I get home. Smile

I think you should get another G2... cause I'll need a sample patch for this one just in case I fail. Wink
boxcolony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: G2 - midi stuck notes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i got it working using a CC#120 as a panic button. now how can I Automate this button when I select another slot? Is it possible? (NEWBIE ALERT!!!)

FB WavestationSR.pch2
 Description:
The patch is intended as a Korg Wavestation Controller added a panic module. I used CC#120

Download
 Filename:  FB WavestationSR.pch2
 Filesize:  1.08 KB
 Downloaded:  1346 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When you put a constant in a patch and set it to 64 it will make a jump from 0 to 64 when that patch starts, alternatively there is the in/out/stat(us) module that can give you a pulse on patch load or var change. You could connect that to the send input of the CC send module.
boxcolony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
When you put a constant in a patch and set it to 64 it will make a jump from 0 to 64 when that patch starts, alternatively there is the in/out/stat(us) module that can give you a pulse on patch load or var change. You could connect that to the send input of the CC send module.

Thanks Jan, I think that would be a good solution. although theoretically I can understand it I guess I need a hand for a sample patch. Wink

That would also resolve the stuck notes issues of this patch by Ian that I just found a while ago.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-127761.html#127761
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, but a question first ... I looked at your patch and it seems like you want to send a CC120 when you change away from the patch that lets the notes hang ... while my solution would send a CC120 from the patch you change to and so it should be in the patch you change to ... did I get t hat right?
boxcolony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ok, but a question first ... I looked at your patch and it seems like you want to send a CC120 when you change away from the patch that lets the notes hang ... while my solution would send a CC120 from the patch you change to and so it should be in the patch you change to ... did I get t hat right?

Yup your right, what i actually did was some sort of panic button when note hangs as I change slot. the stupid part is that I have to go back to the same slot to turn it off thus ruining a live performance. Crying or Very sad
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok ... the thing then is that I'm not sure if it's possible to let a patch do something special when you click it away ... a finalizer ... I'll try some things.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm ... no ... seems like you need something in the patch you change to ... Crying or Very sad
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like this (but then for CC120 and Channel 2 of course).

cc-on-switch-to.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.69 KB
 Viewed:  16125 Time(s)

cc-on-switch-to.jpg

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Eric is switching slot focus, rather than loading a patch into a slot. AFAIK there is no way of triggering something on a slot focus change.

You should be able to put the kill A module into the B slot and hookup the send to a keyboard gate so that the kill command is sent when you play the first note after switching to slot B.

It will keep sending the kill on each note played in slot B but that doesn't matter does it? You can't kill something that is already dead.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
I think Eric is switching slot focus, rather than loading a patch into a slot.

In that case I misunderstood ... I know of no way to do something on changing the keyboard focus either.

boxcolony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi Ian and Jan, sorry for the late reply. I tried all your suggestions but one way or the other I still have to trigger the note off manually to end the stuck notes.

I'll post a patch or a performance when I'm done experimenting. Smile

I'll just PM you guys if I have further questions.

Salamat (Thank You),

Eric
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

boxcolony wrote:
I'll just PM you guys if I have further questions.

When you just do it here it will be instructive for others as well maybe ... and it is an interesting problem I think.

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: G2 - midi stuck notes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

boxcolony wrote:
...Now here's my problem... If i'm in Slot B (playing my SR) then I change slot say A (key pressed) to use a lead sound I get stuck notes from my SR....

This problem may be a bug in the G2.

With my G2X connected by MIDI to control my MC-909, I'm able to reproduce this stuck notes problem on the MC-909 by holding notes while switching slots on G2X. But, when I swap around and use the MC-909 to control the G2X, the MC-909 does NOT leave stuck notes on the G2X while switching parts (same as G2 slots) with held notes on the MC-909. The MC-909 will send a MIDI note off command on the old MIDI channel as soon as the held note key is released. This is the way it should work, I think. It is interesting to note that my G2X does NOT leave stuck notes on the internal G2 patches while switching slots, the problem is only on the G2X MIDI output.

Is it abnormal for MIDI controllers to leave stuck notes while switching MIDI channels? I would test this with my other MIDI gear, but all the rest is still unpacked since I moved to my new home. If it is abnormal, then this problem should be labeled as a G2 bug.

I can't think of any way to generate a signal that could be used to send an all notes off MIDI command just by selecting a another slot. It looks like the only way is to send the command manually. A suggestion not mentioned yet, use a sustain pedal connected to the G2. In the patch that you switch to, put a MIDI control send module to send the all notes off command to MIDI channel 2 that is triggered by stepping on the pedal. This will leave both hands free to play without having to look for an assigned button to push on the G2 front panel. You only have to step on the pedal if you get stuck notes. If you release the pedal quickly, it will not affect your playing of the G2.

Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: