electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
16ths slicer building block
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: 16ths slicer building block
Subject description: capture a 4/4 bar of audio, trigger the individual slices by a sequencer or whatever...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this building block was designed at request of fellow G2 user xav. when activated, it listens to the MIDI master clock and punches in on the "one" of the next bar, capturing exactly one 4/4 bar of incoming audio. it then divides this loop arbitrarily into 16 slices of equal length. those 16th note slices can then be triggered by any means. so, you can hook this circuit up to the keyboard module and trigger slices manually over the keyboard (as in the demonstrational application), or over MIDI. but there is also way enough DSP power left to add a sequencer of your own design into the patch, and trigger it with that. trigger slices at audiorate? sure! Laughing

keep in mind that the starting point of the slices is purely mathematically defined, not by any sort of hitpoint detection. so if you intend to mangle a drum loop, make sure it's tight to begin with.

the circuit is based on my non-driftting-sample-accurate-access-to-delayline (NDSAATD Laughing) -techniques. It offers total control over the transients of the slices too (if you want to make things more sluggish or snappy).

The controls and control inputs are highlighted and also documented in the textpad.

have fun.

NOTE: the keyboard-module seems to output its note-value one sample later than the gate. i had to delay it in my demonstrational application (play slices on keyboard). another G2 bug, yay! Laughing

16thsSlicerBB_TK.pch2
 Description:
capture a 4/4 bar of audio, trigger the individual slices by a sequencer or whatever...

Download
 Filename:  16thsSlicerBB_TK.pch2
 Filesize:  3.32 KB
 Downloaded:  1178 Time(s)

xav

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much Tim. Fantastic!
That was a dream, like so many patches you made. But it's obvious I'll use it very soon.
What could we ask Tim to patch? A polyphonic (audio) pitch analyser, able to mute separate notes?
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing well, there's already the new version of Melodyne to do that. Laughing no, seriously, i'm still working on a REALLY good MONOphonic pitch detector on the G2. i've been experimenting alot with different time-domain-approaches (max zero-crossing-gradient detection, PLL techniques, zero-crossing-autocorrelation etc.) but it's still on the workbench. very interesting subject matter though.

...as i mentioned in the PM, the slice triggering is monophonic, meaning that a fast consecutive trigger will cut off the previous one. there would be a possibility of having up to 4 voices of polyphony (using the 4tap delay), but that would be much more expensive DSP-wise. and as this is a building block, i tried to be as economic as possible. IIRC, the patch uses ca. 35% of of a slot, so there's still enough space to patch stuff to drive it.

another idea would be to patch a deluxe version which would offer time-stretching/pitch-shifting/reverse playback. this would basically just be an engine driving the elastic-audio-building block.
Neon Sega

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just grabbed your block, added 16step-sequencer and that's it!
Thank you very much for your super done block and thank for sharing
It's very interesting, that it keeps slices in all variations - nice tip!
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: