electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Dim D
Page 6 of 13 [313 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next

What "chipset" would you like to see in a Dim D PCB
Original chips. They are still out there.
76%
 76%  [ 39 ]
Low voltage BBDs - easier to get, probably more noisy. Takes longer to design.
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Make a PCB that allows both options. Will be more expensive (more PCB area required!), and will take the longest to design.
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
Not interested. (Who needs a Dim D? And isn't there another Dim D project on the way?!)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 51

jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update:

Series production BBD boards arrived today.
Will start soldering tomorrow, to get that 2nd prototype to verify the production run ASAP.

Got a mail today that Main boards are on the way to me as well.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Juergen,

In preparing for the Dim TD, I'm guessing we'll need 40 LM394s or 20 CA3086s. I'm actually finishing up my Tau now with LM394s since I'd read they sounded a little cleaner. Do you think 3086s will sound ok for the Dim TD to save a little $? If it makes a difference I will gladly use the 394. I like saving money but when investing the time and energy to make something like this I'd rather it sound as much to my liking as possible.

Thanks!
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
Hi Juergen,

In preparing for the Dim TD, I'm guessing we'll need 40 LM394s or 20 CA3086s. I'm actually finishing up my Tau now with LM394s since I'd read they sounded a little cleaner. Do you think 3086s will sound ok for the Dim TD to save a little $? If it makes a difference I will gladly use the 394. I like saving money but when investing the time and energy to make something like this I'd rather it sound as much to my liking as possible.

Thanks!

I'm building mine with 3046's.

You can use sockets, of course, and simply try what you like better!
(Two SIL sockets insead of a DIL socket per IC - then you can put in either the DIP 8 or the DIP 14 packages. Just be very careful about chip orientation in that case.)

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
numbertalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
I'm building mine with 3046's.

Ah, good to know!

jhaible wrote:

You can use sockets, of course, and simply try what you like better!
(Two SIL sockets insead of a DIL socket per IC - then you can put in either the DIP 8 or the DIP 14 packages. Just be very careful about chip orientation in that case.)

I'd noticed you'd done this in the photos on your site. Nice.

Thanks for the info!
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UPDATE

BBD board from production run: prototype built and tested.

Main boards arrived - will start to solder soon.

Estimated start of shipping: First week of January 2009.
(So yes, I missed my goal by a few days, sorry about that.)

Don't send any money befor you get an invoice, in January.

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BOMs are online!

http://www.jhaible.heim.at/subtle_chorus/jh_subtle_chorus.html

JH.

Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does it makes a difference between NE570 and NE570N ?
and thanks for the update.
The demos sound really _very_ subtile btw.
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
does it makes a difference between NE570 and NE570N ?
and thanks for the update.

No, it's all the same.

Quote:
The demos sound really _very_ subtile btw.

On the synthesizer demos, everything goes thru my beloved Quantec reverb, so even the "dry" sound has a lot of "space" already, and switching the Subtle Chorus in isn't as dramatic as it could possibly be.
When I find the time, I'll make demos without reverb - then the effect of the chorus' adding "Dimension" to the sound is really stunning.

On the vocal demos, I think the effect is more pronouced, even though there is some Quantec in these, too. But here I've added reverb to the vocals first, and then run the sound clip thru the first two Dimension modes.

JH.

kokoon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funny, i thought the demos didn't sound subtle enough Very Happy
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kokoon wrote:
funny, i thought the demos didn't sound subtle enough Very Happy

I guess that's why the original Dim D is often mixed to the dry signal (or so I've been told).

JH.

jfromel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where do all those SMD caps on the BOM go? didn't see them on the layout?
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jfromel wrote:
Where do all those SMD caps on the BOM go? didn't see them on the layout?

Solder side - beneath each IC.
Best way for low-inductance PSU decoupling of opamps, IMO.
I also used the same caps for smothing the FET swiching on teh main board.
It's all the same value, so you just solder them in without thinking too much.
(I hate DIY with "true" SMT design where you often cannot read component values, once the thngs are out of their box.)

JH.

funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Expensive HA1457 IC !

On one hand, i'd really like to be able to play once with an vintage-in-mind DIMENSION CHORUS, on the other hand, i really wonder if it's worth spending all that money.

I'll surely go for a modern TL version...

Qty SKU Description Price Total
IC HA1457Wx14 $28.00 €20.00
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Cart.php

HA1457 Integrated Circuit
€14.51x14 = €203.08 $283.00
http://www.littlediode.com/components/cart.php

And apart odd value resistors, why going for 1% resistors for this typical 70's gear ?

edit : 12+6 ic are needed (plus 2 as spare) = 20 pieces. 40$ at smallbear.

Last edited by funkyfarm on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funkyfarm wrote:

And apart odd value resistors, why going for 1% resistors for this typical 70's gear ?

Good question. But why stock up on 5% carbon resistors at all, when 1% metal film are barely more expensive nowadays? Especially with the price break you usually get for 100 of the same value?

JH.

jfromel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

original looks like 5% metal film

http://www.modezero.com/roland-dimension-D.htm
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Good question. But why stock up on 5% carbon resistors

5% carbon resistors are already stocked ! Very Happy
hence the question.

I'll never buy up to 100 resistors anymore...
I can hardly sleep at night with all these little evils sleeping under my bed.

(and i'm fed up with changing money into carbon or metal stock or else)
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funkyfarm wrote:
Quote:
Good question. But why stock up on 5% carbon resistors

5% carbon resistors are already stocked ! Very Happy
hence the question.

I'll never buy up to 100 resistors anymore...
I can hardly sleep at night with all these little evils sleeping under my bed.

(and i'm fed up with changing money into carbon or metal stock or else)

Most resistors are 5% carbon in the original, so you can use them in my version as well. As long as you don't ask me to make a list of which resistors! Wink

JH.

funkyfarm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll try.

Very Happy

Quote:
Most resistors are 5% carbon in the original

I'll be cautious.

(and i'm not racist, i've already a huge pile of 1%)
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Subtle Chorus shipping has started!

Invoices are sent out.
If you have pre-ordered, but haven't got an invoice email yet, please contact me.

Happy New Year to all of you,

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that I've started shipping the boards, it's high time I finish the documentation.

I just put a component overlay for the Dim T version "Tau" PCBs online; which components to omit, where to place wire bridges:
http://www.jhaible.heim.at/subtle_chorus/tau_dim_t_overlay.pdf

This is for those who bought two Tau boards for building a Dim T or Dim TD effect only.
If you already have two completed Tau phasers, you don't have to change anything - you just use them in Vibrato Mode and without resonance.

Next thing I'll work on: Drawings how to connect everything together.

Project description for the whole thing:

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update

Most of the wiring information should be up now at:

JH.

whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What are those 6 rows of holes in the attached diagram? Are those wire bridges? Can I just link all holes together?

BBD.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.43 KB
 Viewed:  155 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

BBD.jpg

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
numbertalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those are for the vintage HA1457W SIP op amps. If you're not using those I think you can leave these disconnected.

whomper wrote:
What are those 6 rows of holes in the attached diagram? Are those wire bridges? Can I just link all holes together?
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whomper wrote:

No, by all means don't short them together!
Just leave them open.
This is where the HA1457 opamps go, in the "vintage" version. (In that case, don't solder the TL071 and TL072 opamps in.)

JH.

whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
whomper wrote:

No, by all means don't short them together!
Just leave them open.
This is where the HA1457 opamps go, in the "vintage" version. (In that case, don't solder the TL071 and TL072 opamps in.)

JH.

Right, I have not encountered such an enclosure yet Embarassed

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
Page 6 of 13 [313 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: