electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Star Trek type sfx
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
boonier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Star Trek type sfx Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello list, this is my first post. What a cool forum!

I'm working on a project where i'm recreating all those classic space/krellian/forbidden planet type sounds (in SuperCollider).

There is one particular atmospheric sound in Star Trek that i can seem to figure out, namely the Alien planet surface sfx when they used to transport to the surface of a planet.

Does anyone know of the techniques the sound designers used back then for this particular sound. I can't seem to find any resources on the net.

Thanks in advance,

si
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Si!
welcome to electro-music.com!

Your supplied link doesn't work.
boonier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah... ahem, I think thats cause my hosting company just moved my webspace to a different server.... Embarassed

Now try this!

thanks
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well that's a very complex sound, and I wouldn't be surprised if a vast majority of it was created using electro-acoustic techniques rather than pure electronic techniques.

I do remember that one contributor once made some very realistic Star Trek noises using the Nord Modular. You may like to download the G2 demo and try doing some yourself. I'm sure that if you asked nicely, some G2 owners here would be more than willing to try and recreate some of these noises on their G2's? It's well worth asking Very Happy
boonier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah I did think that initially also. Seems to be a lot of tape manipulation and feedback and overdubbing going on. I wonder what the original source material was...?

Well, to use the tape analogy, maybe its just worth diving in and creating lots of audio buffers and routing them in weird and wonderful ways!

Unfortunately I dont use a nord modular...but I'll post some examples up when I've had a go.

thanks for your help
S
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

boonier wrote:

Unfortunately I dont use a nord modular...

You do now!

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp

Picture 8.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.68 KB
 Viewed:  7980 Time(s)

Picture 8.png

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sounds like ...
a string section playing a few dissonant high notes.
a couple of field recordings of wind

I would be interested in your Star Trek door open/close sound though.
boonier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there

Well, heres something I came up with using SuperCollider.

Background noise - Created using a bank of 20 resonators each pitched at different freqs and amplitudes.

Wind - Whitenoise through a resonant lp with various random oscillators controlling the cutoff. (you could have guessed that!)

Could do with some tweaking but basically I happy with it! Smile If anyone fancies having a look at the code I can post it up if you like. I would like to have go at using string samples as earlier suggested, for the real retro technique.

Thanks for all your replies

S

ps. love Nord Modular! but you really need the hardware to do it justice.
KarmanHardon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread is old... but I remembered.

Anyway... I more or less accidentally produced the alien planet sound.

I use a revox B77 for echo. I put a graphic eq in the signal loop and toyed around with making it self oscillate. Accentuating a frequency(of the tape hiss) will generate a ''sine'' and harmonics... it's just a matter of accentuating the right frequencies to obtain the right ''chord''... then rewinding and slowing the whole thing down quite a bit. VoilĂ .

It actually freaked me out at first because the resemblance with the original sound is so uncanny... and I imediately thought about this thread.

Goodnite!

And merry things and all that.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: