electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Is it worth getting a Waldorf Q+?
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Is it worth getting a Waldorf Q+? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I was wondering if with the new Blofeld, it would be worth getting a Waldorf Q+.
I know it has some more capabilities and real analog filters, but the Blofeld has wavetables and will have samples (I hope they get that on the desktop version too) and is way cheaper (I guess the Q+ is more than 1500 euros used and the Blofeld can be had for 300 euros used...).

Since I was really considering getting a Blofeld because of the huge capabilities because of the wavetables and samples, would it be wiser to get another synth than a Q+?

Thanks in advance
Best regards and merry christmas

Paugui
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Q+ has the filters, as well as a step sequencer and keyboard. It also has some wave tables, although they aren't as extensive as the Blofeld. The Q+ seems to have a better user interface. I think the Q+ is offering more. It's only downside is that it is no longer being made.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
T7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
I think the Q+ is offering more. It's only downside is that it is no longer being made.

Sure it is: http://www.thomann.de/gb/waldorf_q_phoenix_edition.htm

And from the Waldorf news page: "19/05/2008:

Due to the high demand, we had decided to restart manufacturing of the Analog Filter Synthesizer Q+ and ship those in the Q+ Phoenix Edition. -Waldorf"
paugui

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can still get it new, there are a lot of stores that still have them.

But my main question was if I am to get a Blofeld later for the Wavetables and Samples and VA all together, would it be wiser to spend that money on a different synth, like and Alesis Andromeda or a Nord Wave or Nord Modular G2 or a Virus TI, as the sound of the Blofeld might be similar to the Q+?
T7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paugui wrote:
You can still get it new, there are a lot of stores that still have them.

But my main question was if I am to get a Blofeld later for the Wavetables and Samples and VA all together, would it be wiser to spend that money on a different synth, like and Alesis Andromeda or a Nord Wave or Nord Modular G2 or a Virus TI, as the sound of the Blofeld might be similar to the Q+?

The Q+ with its analog section is very unique sounding. Get both, or get an XT instead of the Blofeld.
paugui

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your replies

I have been thinking about this again lately and I see that I really want to get a Nord Wave and a Nord Modular G2, as those two seem pretty nice and have the right size for my home-studio.
But I might still have the funds for another synth.

I am still thinking a lot about the Waldorf Q+, but since there is now a new Virus TI2, I was thinking about the original TI (as the new version doesn't seem to bring anything more than a new design and an extra DSP power) and it's price might drop a bit soon.

Are these two synth sounds quite distinct?
Which one has nicer sounds for ambient electronic music?
Is that it's really easy to find Access Virus TI demos but Waldorf Q+ demos are quite rare...

Also, which one has an easier interface?
Is that I really want a synth I can access almost all parameters easily on the keyboard and program it from there.
From what I saw, the Virus depends a lot on the computer to get programed, but how about the Q+?

Thanks in advance

Paugui
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paugui wrote:
Are these two synth sounds quite distinct?

Yes and no. Most deep modern synths can be programmed to make practically the same sounds, as well as completely distinct sounds, owing to the fact that their programming is so flexible. In the range of what may be called 'musically usable' sounds, there is basically a very large sonic overlap between these types of synths. The main differentiating features are the more extensive wavetable features in the Virus TI and the more extensive filtering in the Q+ - these are some of the things that contribute to the potential sonic differences.

Quote:
Which one has nicer sounds for ambient electronic music?

This question comes up quite often: Which synth is best for ambient/trance/dance/psychedelic-squaredance-funk-rock etc.. The answer will have to be: Yes. Or more seriously, the one you choose to make ambient-style sounds with. Really. Both of these synths are brilliant for ambient (or any other style) if you put in the effort to program them.

Various factions of the synth community will often attribute certain synths with suitability for certain musical styles. IMNSHO, that is usually bullshit, except for the obvious cases in which you want something very specific, e.g. G2 for specialized self playing patches vs Memotron for mellotron'ish choirs. But even then we're not talking musical styles, just some specialized possibilities. If you are told to get synth X to use for style Y, and you buy X and use it for Y, then that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If a whole community does this, then it becomes a 'proven fact'. Can you tell I'm tired of such claims? Laughing

My recommendation would have to be the one you feel most comfortable working with, and which has the special features you need. Such features could be, e.g. computer connectivity (Virus has the edge with its USB/TI), or immediacy in performance (Q may have the edge with advanced arpeggiator, step-time sequencer and more knobs), and the wavetable vs filtering mentioned above.

If you are going to rely on the presets then you should audition them both - the Virus has more and better preset sounds and will probably be the most attractive in this case.

Of course, if you simply desire one over the other, then do listen to your desires!

I know this answer may not sound too helpful, but it is honest. Remeber that the similarities I'm talking about are for these types of synths, i.e. modern digital (mainly) subtractive synths with powerful architectures; Virus vs Q is a case in point. BTW, I have owned both a Virus and a Q, and still have the Q (because I desired it the most and liked the interface better). When all this is said, different synths may lead you in different directions, but that is a rather personal affair - which is a Good Thing™.

Quote:

Also, which one has an easier interface?
Is that I really want a synth I can access almost all parameters easily on

That one is easy Smile
The Q has the best onboard UI.

DJ
--
paugui

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your reply pointed out some points that really made me favour the Q+.

I was just wondering if I can use the Q+ analog filter to process external signals?
If so, would this be as good as to have a dedicated external filter like the JoMoX T-Resonator?

How is the Q+ step sequencer?
Can we change steps in real time like old analog sequencer from Tangerine Dream?
Can the Q+ do nice analog drum sounds so that I can use it as a drum machine too if needed?

Thanks in advance

Paugui
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paugui wrote:
I was just wondering if I can use the Q+ analog filter to process external signals?
If so, would this be as good as to have a dedicated external filter like the JoMoX T-Resonator?

The Q+ can filter external sounds. The external input can be mixed together with the oscillators and passed through the rest of the voice, including filters an effects. It's different from using a T-resonator, on several points though - e.g. the Q is polyphonic, whereas the T-resonator is probably better and more immediate for 'crazy' filtering fx.

Quote:
How is the Q+ step sequencer?
Can we change steps in real time like old analog sequencer from Tangerine Dream?

You can change the step parameters in real time, TD-style. There are 8 knobs on the front panel which let you do this. There is a learning curve for this sequencer to get the most out of it, though.

Quote:
Can the Q+ do nice analog drum sounds so that I can use it as a drum machine too if needed?

Yes it can. However, the Virus will also do nice drum sounds. The Q+ has 20 programmable drum maps which can contain 32 sounds each (using a single part). I don't think the Virus TI has drum maps. Both of these synth are 16 part multitimbral, so both can be used as drum synths in that way.

As for some further differences that I can think of which relates to the sound possibilities: The Virus TI has more LFO waveforms and more FX, and the Q+ has its extensive freely programmable modulation matrix (making it a semi modular in practise).

In a more meta-value oriented perspective: The Virus is a newer synth and may therefore has more modern appeal with more convenience features (mostly provided by the USB/TI). Whereas the Q is more old school, but have a somewhat deeper programmability, possibly with better fidelity (e.g. less aliasing).

DJ
--
paugui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot for your reply, it seems the Q+ is really the one I want.
I just hope I get one soon Very Happy

Thanks to all for your replies,
Best regards

Paugui
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Q+ is an excellent instrument. I do however think that it is very hard to compare the Blofeld to the Q+ and then come up with a reasonably valid verdict. If you want a true performance oriented synth then obviously the Q+ is the one to buy. My point is that:
the Blofeld is cheaper, with a much simpler and more cumbersome interface ( but amazingly effective one ), the audio capabilities can be said to be more advanced than the Q+. The Q+ has a more distinct Waldorf signature sound while the Blofeld covers far more terrain and can sound way more subtle and mellow. These are two related but also two completely different instrument designs. However, from what you have discussed here so far it does seem to me that the Q+ might be what you want. You should try to play one and figure out if you really like it.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just for the hell of it I'm going to throw the Stromberg into the equation too Razz

Looks like an update of the Q/Q+ to me. When it will be available is anyones guess. My personal theory of the day is that it will not be on the market before the Q/Q+ is sold out or discontinued...

DJ
--
dnaflr2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Q+ availability Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't been able to locate any dealers that have the Q+ available. Are any of you aware of someone who may have these?
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see you are located in the US. It might be that shops are reluctant to have weird stuff like the Q+ in stock.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
redseamusic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a ruby red Q+ for sale, Please PM for details .
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: