electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
some hacking
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 150
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: some hacking Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought me a new sound card this week, an RME Multiface II. When I had it installed today and after reading the manual a bit I thought this could be my remote matrix mixer as well, a thing I'd been wanting for a while. So I did some coding based on the info I found at : http://home.comcast.net/%7Erobbowers11/MCMap.htm as that's the sort of language the multiface understands.

It's not near anything good yet, but it seems doable. I downloaded MidiYoke to have some patch cords and I fired up my good old NetMidi to be able to do MIDI over TCP/IP. For the remote I wrote a little thingy that sends and receives MIDI over TCP/IP to the distant NetMidi which communicates with MidiYoke, which communicates with the Multiface software. And it works.

Just a few hours of typing and trying really, but I can remotely move my first sliders Very Happy

This has the potential to grow into a full 8 x 8 cross point mixer, and with the adat extensions it could even be 16 x 16.

The device sounds like a miracle BTW after having lived for nearly a year with all sound running through the built in sound card of the PC, I seem to have 50 dB improvement of signal to nonsense as well, the nonsense used to be at -45, or something that bad. With a bit of tweaking it might be able to do silence Laughing

mfc.png
 Description:
Proto of multiface remote control
 Filesize:  16.53 KB
 Viewed:  180 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

mfc.png

Last edited by Blue Hell on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent Jan! I was hoping for better Mackie Control support in the G2 (needs pitch bends & such). Maybe your software could have a CC -> pitch bend translation, and all would be well?
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan, can I ask you a few things about the netmidi thingy here? I have an old pc (one with an ancient but nice ISA legacy soundcard that I want to keep using) that is connected via crossover ethernet cable to my main pc. I use remote control software to control the ancient pc from my main pc. Since my main pc uses a wireless lan connection for internet, I have put the ethernet NICs on a different subnet from the wireless lan, in order to use both connections simultaneously without have IE trying to get a connection through the ethernet connection.

Got that Wink ? Now, so far it is working, but now I want to use your netmidi application to link a software's midi in and out on my main pc to the soundcard midi in and out on the ancient one (netmidi + midi yoke should be able to do that, right?) without using a hardware midi interface + midi cables. Well, when I fire up netmidi on both pc's, I see no connection. Could it be that it is trying to communicate through a tcp port on the wrong subnet, since I have these two lans on my main pc? I have little network experience, so forgive me if this is a not-so-bright question Embarassed . Any suggestions what I could try?

Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing let me think ... ok 1st things 1st ... I made two things and I mix 'm up all the time ... one is a server only, and it can have multiple clients but it can not connect to another netmidi server. The other was client or server, user selectable, only one connection , but some chat stuff in it ... both are called netmidi I think ... which one do you have?
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait there is a 3rd one, also a server only ... that's the one on my nm open software page ... it says socket error here when I run it on Vista Shocked
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh oh, and 4th Laughing M/CP ... help, I don't know what I published where anymore Embarassed
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exclamation got it together, sort of ... you need MC/P from here

Copy the exe to both computers, in the settings tab set one to "is server" and the other not (it's a client then). The client one needs an IP address to be filled in and both sides must have the same port setting.

Shouldn't matter how many NICs you have, running "ipconfig /all" from a dos box will tell you what the IPs are for all the NICs you've got.

Fozzie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, thanks a lot (also for understanding my intention Shocked ). Will try when I am at home tonight.
Fozzie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

Copy the exe to both computers, in the settings tab set one to "is server" and the other not (it's a client then). The client one needs an IP address to be filled in and both sides must have the same port setting.

A bit late, but thanks a lot, Jan. It works perfectly! Now I *just* need get the other stuff working Laughing

Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
A bit late

Good in fact .. i had to do a last minute bug fix on it (some settings could not be changed from the program) Wink

So what's the other stuff?

Fozzie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, well, I got this old Terratec stuff with the microwave pc module, which is a kind of microwave II/XT linked to an old ews64 card. I used to have that in my main PC linked to a newer DMX card from Terratec, but for some technical reason it was not possible to get sysex data out from the module to use with an editor and to edit wavetables. So, I got an old pc with 98se linked via LAN with VNC server/viewer to remote control the thing, so functionally I now have a kind of microwaveII module. However, IIRC you have had the experience as well, the EWS cards are notoriously hard to get set up correctly, so that's the 'other stuff'. I used the old card for many-a-year so I will pull it off, but I have to get back into the subject again. But with your nice app, midiox, midiyoke and some other stuff it will work. I insist and hereby convince myself saying it: *it will work* Laughing
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
However, IIRC you have had the experience as well, the EWS cards are notoriously hard to get set up correctly, so that's the 'other stuff'.

Hmm, yes, it's a bit of a headache thingie isn't it.

Quote:
*it will work* Laughing

That's the /only/ to get it to work IIRC Wink

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: