electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
A collection of Klee musics
Page 10 of 13 [314 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did eventually remember to hit the record button during my set, so I'll have some of it ready laster today maybe. It was a half hour set so I think I can make a couple of excerpts.

Home,My Studio,and another view
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the NYE streaming. I was on probably too early for many in the USA to have heard. Here are two excerpts of the half hour Klee-fest.

The patching used was:

- The Klee which was running the 3 VCOs of the M5N, and gating it via Gate1
- a baby10 running an AM3030 VCO which was then mixed into the M5N. The AM3030 had the saw out going to the metalbox/cgs wave multiplier's folder, and the pulse going to the wave multiplier's grinder. From there, the folder went to an ssm2044 filter, and the grinder went to a Bananalogue LPFA. From there they came back to the M5N's mixer.

The control was clocked from midi, I had DP6 running a 16 bar loop, to give some drum tracks and synch to the PEK which was running its own sequencer with some more rhythm. Clock was divided by 6 and fed to the Klee's clock in. The baby10 got Trigger3 from the Klee. Gate1 went to the main gate for the envelope control of the M5N.

oh yeah, also was clocking a Binary Zone using Trig3 which would change things around, and the Binary Zone was feeding an Improbability Drive which was influencing the AM3030 via the quantized output. It's probably noticeable once in awhile.

A minimalist show actually for me, but it was fun and kept me busy.

ER-NYE2009-1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ER-NYE2009-1.mp3
 Filesize:  4.14 MB
 Downloaded:  1963 Time(s)

ER-NYE2009-2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ER-NYE2009-2.mp3
 Filesize:  2.94 MB
 Downloaded:  1872 Time(s)

Home,My Studio,and another view
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey REX ....... Cool Kleemation !!! I missed the set as you saw in the chat yesterday ,BUT, as you promised, there would be something to listen to here Very Happy

Had lots of fun all day listening to great music and chatting among friends !!!

Happy New Year !!!

Bill
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used my klee on the NYE live stream too.

Download available here:
http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSgY1Oya20

HNY! Very Happy

[Blue Hell - fixed the link (click edit or quote to see how)]

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom

Last edited by Pehr on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also played my klee on New Years day -

<div> <div> zimmifrl by sduck409 </div> </div>

I also made a video of this, but am using final cut express for the first time, and it's taking longer to get sorted out than I planned. I've got the video finished, just trying to get it into the right shaped box for vimeo - it's too long for youtube, although I may make a shorter version.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man - you guys are just blowing me away! Very Happy Shocked

I'm downloading Pehr right now, so in the meantime I'll post:

E-Rex: I agree with Bill - great Kleemation! Thank you for recording and posting this for those of us (me) who manage to read a notice and not react. How you integrated everything together and produced such a cool set is beyond me. I'd love to see you do this live.

SDuck: Another beautiful tune, indeed! I can't imagine how you did that, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the video. I love this piece!

My hat's off to you guys. I tried recording a more "spatial" video last night, but I screwed it up by accidentally hitting one of the special effect buttons on the camera, and it turned into more of a jumble than my videos normally are.

53% from Loxodrom so far....

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sduck, Pehr ....... love em' !!! Since I play so much audio while sitting at my desk, I decided to add a SONY bookshelf audio system so I can hear all submissions loud and clear !! Laughing Great work guys !!! Cool

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
My hat's off to you guys. I tried recording a more "spatial" video last night, but I screwed it up by accidentally hitting one of the special effect buttons on the camera, and it turned into more of a jumble than my videos normally are.

Oh dude, yes, I know how you feel. I did that while recording a fireworks display once and boy what a surprise Shocked Laughing doh !!!!!

Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Listening to Pehr now.......I think I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of Bellatrix by now...saw a planet that looked habitable, but it was ruled by damned dirty apes.....

Frikkin' awesome, Pehr.

These are good times, aren't they?

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Sduck, Pehr ....... love em' !!! Since I play so much audio while sitting at my desk, I decided to add a SONY bookshelf audio system so I can hear all submissions loud and clear !! Great work guys !!!

What I heard of the streaming audio was just out of this world. I tuned in right after I read Jan's mention of it running. Got in just after Edison Rex's set had ended and I made it through K. Kissinger's excellent set, then for some reason this laptop choked and things got really choppy. I couldn't get into the chat at all, for some reason (my computer kept cryptically telling me my connection was denied).

The show would make a great CD set. Toss in SDuck's composition above and I'd be set for the rest of the year.

Dang - (still listening to Pehr) you guys have mastered the Klee for live stuff. I'm not sure I could pull that off...

Pehr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you all! Very Happy
That sequence was actually a 'golden pot' setting I've found they day before.
Played around a little with the gate bus and threw in a random sequence during the later part.

oh, btw, the voice of the sequence in my set is the SN-voice Wink

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
oh, btw, the voice of the sequence in my set is the SN-voice

Shocked Cool! I'll have to point TH to that one.

I re-did the one I flubbed last night. It's a thirty two step sequence (16X1 Invert B mode). Each voltage output is controlling a VCO. One VCO is going through the MS-20 filter - the first section is tracking the VCO and adding harmonics, the second section is low pass filter. The second VCO is going through my Schmitz 2040 Transistor Clone filter, the third VCO is going through my Triple Wilson SVVCF. The voltage outputs are crossed around on the filter controls to add more variation. I've also got two drum voices, supplied by the CGS dual drum simulator (I gotta drag my MPS BB out of mothballs).

I have it on Vimeo, because I wanted y'all to hear it in stereo - my Triple Wilson SVVCF is a stero filter, and I rarely use that feature because I usually have too much other stuff patched up. Here it's in stereo, with an LFO running the different BP filters in different directions.

Cheerios,
Scott

Klee Sequencer: 3 32 Step Sequences Controlling 5 Voices from Scott Stites on Vimeo.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott
that's cool! but how come you have miles of cables lying around Question

Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mono-poly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://share.ovi.com/media/mono-poly.TheDailyNoodle/mono-poly.10143

Noodle (no hand patch)

Wiard Noisering
Klee Sequencer
Buchla 100 fm/am patch + 194 vcf
Plan B Mod 13
Blippoo Box
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, Carlo!

Do you mean the patch cables? If so, here's a sketch of the patch - my cables are generally three foot cables, and a number of them are six foot (needed for my Triple SVVCF, which is that multi-knobbed module sitting by the window). The CGS drums and VCOs are without panel, so I alligator clip to them. Anyway, each line on the diagram is a patch cable (bear in mind some of those are multed). Each voice, to be individual, is going to require a minimum number of cables. The main bulk of my modular just sits there on the table - all that extra footage just piles up like so much spaghetti. Mmmm....sphaghetti......

klee_patch.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.62 KB
 Viewed:  307 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

klee_patch.PNG

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Noodle (no hand patch)

Hard core! Cool

How in the world did you get the variation on the Klee sequence hands off - were you using external range input?

You know, a good noodle is something I've never tried yet. I'm inspired...

How many miles (meter) of patch cable will I need? Very Happy

sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn, some fine stuff pitched in here recently. You all sound great.

Here's my humble video that gave me a nervous meltdown putting together -

zimmifryl from Stephen Drake on Vimeo.

Ok, so there's no mystery - there are no industry secrets here...

This patch was put together over several days of basically a few minutes here and there of fooling with it. I also didn't have enough patch cords to finish it, so had to make new ones during the process. And there are still some odd ones in there.

Clock is the blacet binary zone, picked because it's about the only clock source that'll run the mfos sequencer. Clock into the klee, and also into the cgs pulse divider - woops, first big problem - the mfos sequencer doesn't want to work after the clock has been through the pulse divider. Yikes. Through some strange experimental urge, I try plugging the pulse divider out into the motm 510 wavewarper, and for some reason the mfos sequencer works that way. Odd.

The original idea with the mfos sequencer was to have a fixed sequence of bass bell tones, which I had set up at one point, but was never really happy with it, and kept on devolving it so finally it was just popping the gate on a fixed pitch triangle wave every 16 clock ticks - doh... doh... doh... doh... doh...

Pitch setting on the klee are basically the same as I wrote about earlier - just 4 basic intervals - 2 seconds, 1 minor third, 2 fourths, and 1 fifth. The gate bus switches are mostly in the center position, with just one or two up or down, and I changed them on the fly during the noodle. Mostly the thing is in 16x1 mode, invert off, although there are times when I change things. I also flipped the merge switches on and off at various points.

The klee driven sounds are pretty straightforward - the fixed pitch outs (all three) are all going to motm 300 vco's 1v/oct ins, saw outs, and the vco's are all tuned to the same pitch, except one thats up an octave. All of these through standard motm vca's controlled by my modded motm eg's, driven by the 3 gate outs. The first entrance is going through a motm 480 filter, the second voice is through a mankato filter, and the third voice is through the tellun doomsday machine and then a motm 440 filter (which is a really delicious sounding combo). I finally have a real mixer (motm 830), so no wierdness there this time. Some little fiddling that occurred during the thing - I ran cables from the various glide outs from the klee to the freguency mod ins on the various filters - mixed them up, so filter freq is different than the vco freq, and the various knobs that control all this are turned on during the piece. I also turned on a bit of bleed on the vca's near the end - I like that effect, and meant to do it earlier, but forgot.

Video is an attempt to have 2 cameras going - a stationary one on a tripod, and a handheld, my little flip thing. The handheld one was mostly useless - I couldn't really run the synth and keep the camera focused on anything except for some brief moments. Edited in Final Cut Express, my first time using it, and there was a steep learning curve, hence no niceties such as cross-fades and titles. Maybe next time. Had to get some help from the apple support forums along the way - very handy resource! The audio was captured seperately in cubase (stereo this time!), and a little reverb was added, but that's all.

That's it!

[no LPG's or wogglebugs were used in the production of this video. Rats/sorry.]
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Here's my humble video that gave me a nervous meltdown putting together -

wow!
wave

What a perfect end to the day! E-Rex, SDuck, Pehr, Monopoly all in one day. And this video is just great!

Quote:
Ok, so there's no mystery - there are no industry secrets here...

This patch was put together over several days of basically a few minutes here and there of fooling with it. I also didn't have enough patch cords to finish it, so had to make new ones during the process. And there are still some odd ones in there.

I love it - run out of patch cords, so you build more. Nothing can stop you. Laughing

Hey Carlo - see all those patch cables? - I think there are more there than in my pile. The difference is, these look like they belong - they're draped across one hell of a beautiful modular, whereas as mine are coiled up like a nest of vipers in front of a mishapen metallic...thing.

Quote:
Clock is the blacet binary zone, picked because it's about the only clock source that'll run the mfos sequencer. Clock into the klee, and also into the cgs pulse divider - woops, first big problem - the mfos sequencer doesn't want to work after the clock has been through the pulse divider. Yikes. Through some strange experimental urge, I try plugging the pulse divider out into the motm 510 wavewarper, and for some reason the mfos sequencer works that way. Odd.

Yes - weird that the MFOS wouldn't clock off of the pulse divider - I was going to say maybe the level isn't high enough, but a CGS divider would be plenty. I know my MFOS EGs originally wanted to see a fairly stiff signal, so I put some comparators in on the gate and trigger inputs - now they'll trigger if I sneeze at'em. But, like I say, IIRC, the CGS divider puts out a pretty high signal (10V?).

Quote:
The original idea with the mfos sequencer was to have a fixed sequence of bass bell tones, which I had set up at one point, but was never really happy with it, and kept on devolving it so finally it was just popping the gate on a fixed pitch triangle wave every 16 clock ticks - doh... doh... doh... doh... doh...

And it actually evolved into the beginning and ending of the piece!

Quote:
Pitch setting on the klee are basically the same as I wrote about earlier - just 4 basic intervals - 2 seconds, 1 minor third, 2 fourths, and 1 fifth. The gate bus switches are mostly in the center position, with just one or two up or down, and I changed them on the fly during the noodle. Mostly the thing is in 16x1 mode, invert off, although there are times when I change things. I also flipped the merge switches on and off at various points.

Yep - even to this day I tend to forget that the bits do most of the work, and only a few strategic gate bus switches need to be off center (off of bus 2). It was easier to remember back when it was on the breadboard because it was easier just to plug a few wires in than a bunch. Laughing Flipping those switches worked really well here for variation. Hmmm....

Quote:
The klee driven sounds are pretty straightforward - the fixed pitch outs (all three) are all going to motm 300 vco's 1v/oct ins, saw outs, and the vco's are all tuned to the same pitch, except one thats up an octave. All of these through standard motm vca's controlled by my modded motm eg's, driven by the 3 gate outs. The first entrance is going through a motm 480 filter, the second voice is through a mankato filter, and the third voice is through the tellun doomsday machine and then a motm 440 filter (which is a really delicious sounding combo). I finally have a real mixer (motm 830), so no wierdness there this time. Some little fiddling that occurred during the thing - I ran cables from the various glide outs from the klee to the freguency mod ins on the various filters - mixed them up, so filter freq is different than the vco freq, and the various knobs that control all this are turned on during the piece. I also turned on a bit of bleed on the vca's near the end - I like that effect, and meant to do it earlier, but forgot.

Yeah - I like opening up the VCAs too, just a smidge. It bugs me that I don't have a keyboard synth that allows that. But, then again, I only have two keyboard synths, and a new (old) string machine my sister gave me this Christmas. Laughing

Quote:
Video is an attempt to have 2 cameras going - a stationary one on a tripod, and a handheld, my little flip thing. The handheld one was mostly useless - I couldn't really run the synth and keep the camera focused on anything except for some brief moments. Edited in Final Cut Express, my first time using it, and there was a steep learning curve, hence no niceties such as cross-fades and titles. Maybe next time. Had to get some help from the apple support forums along the way - very handy resource! The audio was captured seperately in cubase (stereo this time!), and a little reverb was added, but that's all.

I've thought a second camera would be great - and I like that, hope you keep up with the idea. It is really hard to operate a modular with only one hand, though. It really inhibits some things one wants to do, - sometimes you want to flip more than one switch simultaneously, for example, or twiddle two knobs, etc. I've thought about making a camera helmet, but that would probably be the last straw for my wife if she saw me marching around the house in it. My problem is one of ergonomics, also. It's easy enough to play the synth, but to film it is really hard, because I have to stoop over to get a good angle. After a while my back really starts to complain. My last video had a flub that bugs me, but I just couldn't bring myself to do another take - my back was killing me. It looks like yours is set up quite well.

Quote:
That's it!

Well thanks for posting it - I really enjoy it!

Quote:
[no LPG's or wogglebugs were used in the production of this video. Rats/sorry.]

Back to the studio with you!

Cheerios,
Scott

Pehr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Yes - weird that the MFOS wouldn't clock off of the pulse divider - I was going to say maybe the level isn't high enough, but a CGS divider would be plenty. I know my MFOS EGs originally wanted to see a fairly stiff signal, so I put some comparators in on the gate and trigger inputs - now they'll trigger if I sneeze at'em. But, like I say, IIRC, the CGS divider puts out a pretty high signal (10V?)

MFOS sequencer needs a clock pulse of at least 2/3 of V+ to step.
I have had to modify most of my digital CGS gear to output as high voltage as possible, but the divider seems to output farly high voltage, but the logic outputs could be low.
The MFOS envelopes, however, only need abt 2V to be gated/triggered.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah - not sure if I remember what the CGS divider level is. I've got the board around here. My MFOS EGs were an earlier design that really wanted a pretty high level. Definitely much more than the 5V Gates/Trigs my TH Digital keyboard puts out.

Cheerios,
Scott

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Hey Carlo - see all those patch cables? - I think there are more there than in my pile. The difference is, these look like they belong - they're draped across one hell of a beautiful modular, whereas as mine are coiled up like a nest of vipers in front of a mishapen metallic...thing.

Very Happy Cool

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Pehr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Yeah - not sure if I remember what the CGS divider level is. I've got the board around here. My MFOS EGs were an earlier design that really wanted a pretty high level. Definitely much more than the 5V Gates/Trigs my TH Digital keyboard puts out.

Sorry, I meant the newer ones Embarassed

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I imagine Ray came out with those about two seconds after I completed my module. Laughing

My triple EG module has two of the ADSR design with the LEDs, only I didn't put in the LEDs, and one of the old, original AR/AD EGs. I added EOC trigger outputs, so they can cycle. My favorite part is on each one I have a three position time constant switch - I use those all the time - they're probably the most used switches on my synth. Only thing better would be a VC EG. One of these days....

Take care,
Scott

mono-poly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Hard core! Cool

Hahaha

Scott Stites wrote:
How in the world did you get the variation on the Klee sequence hands off - were you using external range input?

Honestly the sequence is coming from the Wiard noisering witch modulates also the Klee and the Klee out goes into the Noisering.
But it is a big crosmodulated patch because the Klee also controls some cv on the Blippoo Box witch modulates the noisering to.

Scott Stites wrote:
You know, a good noodle is something I've never tried yet. I'm inspired...

I wonder what you will come up with.

Scott Stites wrote:
How many miles (meter) of patch cable will I need?

Not that much you'll be suprised.
mono-poly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2 Noodles

http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/original/0568/752c25b312a742aaa6c5cdb4e0ae57bf.mp3

http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/original/0566/7b7427fb8263438392a18745f858597f.mp3
Page 10 of 13 [314 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: