electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla Source of Uncertainty 266
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 10 [229 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Splenic Irony

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IANABE*, but I'm pretty sure the weird diode thing in the Stored Random Voltages is just a voltage controlled band pass filter. Referring to the picture at the beginning of this thread: the bottom SRV input looks like the frequency cv input, while the knob would be a manual frequency adjust ('probability'). Next to the two outputs are two diagrams ('distribution') - the top shows a flat frequency curve, the bottom a variable bandpass frequency curve. The top would be the non-filtered resistor string out, the bottom the filtered (other resistor string) output.

*I am not a Buchla expert
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Here are links to the original Buchla schematic:

http://rubidium.dyndns.org/~magnus/synths/companies/buchla/Buchla_2660_2_200.jpg

And Scott's nice redraw:

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/buchla266_srv_189.png

And Steve Ridley's description:

"The "Stored Random Voltages" section is similar sort of thing, using a pair of 4015 shift registers fed from a "pulse in" (4mm) socket and mixing various stages (without the 4016 this time) to give two different outputs. Output 1 just mixes the first eight taps, rectifies the total and sends it to a 4mm socket a LED. Output 2 mixes 15 taps, adds a CV in (4mm) and CV from a pot and puts it through a non-linear network with a bridge rectifier in the feedback of an op-amp. The output goes to a 4mm socket and a LED."

Haven't done any other work on the module, but will post an update when I have new info and mp3s.
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good evening all and Happy New Year!

Tonight, my wife and I are down with a cold, so we're laying low. I've been listening to Cabaret Voltaire's "the Conversation" and getting some more sound samples ready to post. Here's what I have:

266_SRV_SawOscIn.mp3

Here I'm feeding a VCO's saw output into the SRV's input. It's got a steady clock coming from an old LFO. The two outputs are fed into two separate VCOs. It starts out with the input VCO at a sub-audio rate, then cranked into audio range, then back down. I did this to demonstrate how CV1's output remains fairly quantized (stairstepped) when the VCO hits audio ranges, while the second output doesn't quantize it nearly as much. It still comes out as audio on the second output.

266_SRV_sineOsc.mp3

Same exact deal as with the previous one, except that I'm feeding in a sine wave. Notice how the voltage sequences create a different pattern than with the Saw wave fed into it.

266_SRV_Noise.mp3

This time the 266 has a CGS Digital Noise fed into it to see what kind of antics it will do, again each output to two separate VCOs. CV1's output sounds pretty much like a standard mad-scientist sample and hold patch, while the CV2 output lets the noise burst through. Creates a simple random but rhythmic pattern.

266_SRV_Wog_smooth.mp3

One thing that bugged me is that I couldn't get the CGS noise slow enough to see what kind of slow random stuff I could create with the SRV. I fed in one of my Wogglebug's smooth CV inputs instead. While it's playing the two VCOs, I'm adjusting the Probability pot, which is in turn changing the pitch of the pattern.

266_QRV_wog_smooth.mp3

Same patch as before, except using the 266's QRV section. I wanted to compare how the smooth woggles would 'sound' when processed by it instead of the SRV. Pretty interesting the difference, even though I'm not sure how to put it into words.

266_QRV_wog_smooth.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  266_QRV_wog_smooth.mp3
 Filesize:  2.51 MB
 Downloaded:  1823 Time(s)

266_SRV_Wog_smooth.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  266_SRV_Wog_smooth.mp3
 Filesize:  1.44 MB
 Downloaded:  1769 Time(s)

266_SRV_Noise.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  266_SRV_Noise.mp3
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Downloaded:  1740 Time(s)

266_SRV_sineOsc.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  266_SRV_sineOsc.mp3
 Filesize:  2.14 MB
 Downloaded:  1753 Time(s)

266_SRV_SawOscIn.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  266_SRV_SawOscIn.mp3
 Filesize:  1.48 MB
 Downloaded:  1780 Time(s)

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: FRV Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello again. Hope your New Years hangovers are manageable! drunken

This morning I made the finishing touches on cleaning up the 266s Fluctuating Random Voltages PCB, the third of the 4 PCBs in this series. The schematic can be found here:

http://rubidium.dyndns.org/~magnus/synths/companies/buchla/Buchla_2660_3_200.jpg

Some comments:

0) The FRV module is the direct predecessor of Grant Richter's Wogglebug. Before the 266 FRV, there was the 265 Source of Uncertainty (Grampa Wogglebug?), and if you really want to go back further, you could look at the 100 series Noise Source and S&H. Back to the Wogglebug - the 266 FRV can be easily modified to provide some of the former's features that the FRV is missing.

1) In my version I used the MM5837. I considered adding a separate noise source that doesn't require rare parts, but decided against it. The layout is already large enough as is. Instead I decided to provide an option for an input jack, so that you can use any 10 V p-p signal as a noise source. The 5837 outputs around 11.5 V p-p, so replacing it with your favorite noise source should be easy. Of course, if you have a 5837, you can still add a switching input jack. Wire up the output of the 5837 to the NC switching input, which gets disconnected when you plug in an external noise source. I should add that I have not tested this, but if my research is correct, it should work.

2) I added stepped outputs. Why Buchla hasn't is a mystery to me. I think I got the idea from Scott Stites, so a bow to him for the tip!

3) I added a random triangle output. Yep, it's Mr. Woggle himself, normally hidden to Buchla 266 users.

I've got suggestions for a few other mods, but I have not tested any of them. I will write up a complete listing of mod suggestions at a later date. Haven't recorded any sound samples yet, but if you've heard the wogglebug in action, you already have an idea.

266_FRV_w_Parts_Final.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  266_FRV_w_Parts_Final.pdf
 Filesize:  212.8 KB
 Downloaded:  1928 Time(s)

266_FRV_PCB_Final.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  266_FRV_PCB_Final.pdf
 Filesize:  70.29 KB
 Downloaded:  1529 Time(s)

Tasmanian Alkaloid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thankyou kindly for the work, and making these available.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! This is fantastic. Thanks so much for this work!

I was going to wait until all 4 parts were posted before starting to etch... but I think I'll go ahead now and start with this FRV.
Dego

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds fantastic. Smile I just keep waiting for the drums to kick in Wink
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: FRV Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:

1) In my version I used the MM5837. I considered adding a separate noise source that doesn't require rare parts, but decided against it. The layout is already large enough as is. Instead I decided to provide an option for an input jack, so that you can use any 10 V p-p signal as a noise source. The 5837 outputs around 11.5 V p-p, so replacing it with your favorite noise source should be easy. Of course, if you have a 5837, you can still add a switching input jack. Wire up the output of the 5837 to the NC switching input, which gets disconnected when you plug in an external noise source. I should add that I have not tested this, but if my research is correct, it should work.

I just bought (10) MM5837. I will probably only use 2, and keep an extra 2-- so that leaves 6 surplus. If anyone wants 1, PM me. No charge, but please, just 1 per person. Also, these are pulls, so, if they don't work, I apologize in advance. They are supposedly tested and working though.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't received these ICs in the mail yet-- so it'll be a while before I can send them to people who requested one. They were only about 2.50 each, so I don't see much point in charging anyone-- but my extras have all been spoken for now. I'll PM people when I get them and ask for your address. Do you think I can just send these in an envelope with padding? Or is that unsafe for the chip?
Tasmanian Alkaloid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could take a piece of the foam that IC's sometimes ship with, cut it through the middle (cross-section), push the legs into one half, and put the other half on top. Then, sticky-tape it closed, like a sand witch. Should travel safely like that in a plain envelope (unless somebody drives a fork-lift over it when they're sorting mail!) Bug squash
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Padded mailers usually work. I usually keep old IC tubes for this purpose. Cut them down to size as needed, insert ICs, and pop into the padded envelope. Plain envelopes can tear in transit, causing contents to get lost.

ericcoleridge wrote:
I haven't received these ICs in the mail yet-- so it'll be a while before I can send them to people who requested one. They were only about 2.50 each, so I don't see much point in charging anyone-- but my extras have all been spoken for now. I'll PM people when I get them and ask for your address. Do you think I can just send these in an envelope with padding? Or is that unsafe for the chip?
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, unfortunately I've had even PCBs sent just in a normal envelope and the edges have torn through - was lucky the boards didn't fall out. I could see an IC getting crushed pretty easily without some kind of padding.

By the way, does anyone know where to pick up a CD4006 in the US?
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well with the new baby i havent had too much time for new modules but this project has really gotten me excited! looks like i need to get some new etchant!

eric...where did you buy your noise chips? if i cant find them i might just put an external input for the noise...

thanks so much for this project!!!!

loss1234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4006's are available at unicorn if i remember correctly
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
well with the new baby

Hey! my congratulations! boy or girl?

loss1234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks

he is a boy

RINGO THOMAS SNAZELLE! born dec 15th!

it has taken 3 weeks just to finally get back to ANY synth diy stuff.

but this project, well i will HAVE to find the time Wink

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:

eric...where did you buy your noise chips? if i cant find them i might just put an external input for the noise...

I got them off e-bay. They're pulls, but supposedly they're tested and working. It was $25.99 for (10) chips, free shipping, I think. There are more auctions up from the same seller now (but without free shipping). Hopefully they'll wok OK.

I want my SOU to be as close as possible to a real 266, so I grabbed the chips wherever I could find them.
numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the dumb question, I know the 555 is such a staple chip, but I've never actually used one in a circuit. I seem to remember reading somewhere certain implementations of the chip can have current draw issues - either CMOS or non-CMOS. So which 555 would you recommend for this project?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recommend the CMOS versions. I used ICM7555s. I know that TLC555s are good too. I think that's what MOTM uses.

numbertalk wrote:
Sorry for the dumb question, I know the 555 is such a staple chip, but I've never actually used one in a circuit. I seem to remember reading somewhere certain implementations of the chip can have current draw issues - either CMOS or non-CMOS. So which 555 would you recommend for this project?
numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, so I'm not so dumb to ask - thanks for the quick reply!

vtl5c3 wrote:
I recommend the CMOS versions. I used ICM7555s. I know that TLC555s are good too. I think that's what MOTM uses.

numbertalk wrote:
numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also looks like there's a NTE replacement for the CD4006 at Mouser and Jameco - I'm assuming this would work fine, right?

Also, vtl5c3, do you know yet which ICs and a count of each (as well as how many transistors there are) for the 4th and final board yet? Placing an order for a few modules soon but wanted to get the parts I'll need for these boards with that as well.

Thanks!
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that this covers it:

CD4013 - 2
LF398 - 2
CD 4016 - 1
TL074 - 1
CA3080 - 1

2N3906 - 2
2N4341 - 1 (I used 2n4391)
1N457 - 4 (1N4148)
1N5240 - 1

I'm considering adding extra LED buffers for the 5 outputs (2 trigger outs and 3 S&H), so that would mean 5 more NPN transistors. 2N3904 seems to work fine.

numbertalk wrote:
Also looks like there's a NTE replacement for the CD4006 at Mouser and Jameco - I'm assuming this would work fine, right?

Also, vtl5c3, do you know yet which ICs and a count of each (as well as how many transistors there are) for the 4th and final board yet? Placing an order for a few modules soon but wanted to get the parts I'll need for these boards with that as well.

Thanks!
numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you!!
numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, also, any vactrols on the 4th board?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope I'm not too late - flush that NTE shite.

http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/product.php?productid=677&cat=0&page=1

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 10 [229 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: