electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Thing Modulator V3.0
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
kxspxr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Thing Modulator V3.0
Subject description: I made a vero layout and a few modifications to The Thing Modulator
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't have any succes with getting this thing to work with a RC filter on the power supply as suggested her: http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

I tried building it without the filter which gave me a loud tone from the VCO at all times. However, if a 1K resistor and a led is connected from +9V to GND before the chip's power pin, it is totally quiet until it's fed with an input. I also added a switch to select a range for the VCO and pot to attenuate the output. This is an easy build if you want a very decent ring modulator-like effect. Could probably use a buffer on the input.

EDIT: it is ALMOST quiet when it is not fed with an input.

Thing Modulator V3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.65 KB
 Viewed:  13871 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Thing Modulator V3.png

aerogramma

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds interesting thanks!

so if i read it correctly thi thing modulator has only one audio input correct?

any chance to have a sound sample?

cheers

Wink
kxspxr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes - one input and one output. I can't upload any sound samples because I gave my Thing Modulator V3.0 to a friend the other day. I will build one for myself next week (if time is on my side) and upload some sound samples.

EDIT: Sine the bandwidth of the oscillator lock is determined by input voltage and input capacitans, I'd suggest experimenting with the 100nF input cap. Check out the datasheet for LM567 for the equation.
EDIT_2: I tried it with only a few audio sources; piano, violin and fuzz guitar sound absolutely great IMO. Maybe because of the rich harmonic content in all three?
EDIT_3 (and pretty off topic):I can see from your myspace you know Goodiepal as well. He's one of my old friends, small world Smile

aerogramma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks!

look forward to hear them when they're ready

Wink
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMPORTANT

THIS PROJECT DOES NOT WORK QUITE RIGHT WITH A REGULAR LM567

(this is why specifically asks for an LMC567....big difference

when i tried it with a lm567 it had a lot more bleed. with an lmc567 it had very little.

kxspxr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
IMPORTANT

when i tried it with a lm567 it had a lot more bleed. with an lmc567 it had very little.

That is very good to know! I don't remember what I used in the one and only Thing Mod V3 I made, which I gave away the same day I soldered it. I'll check it as soon as I get a chance..

-Kasper

LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
IMPORTANT

Getting hold of a LMC567 is not the easiest thing in the UK. Unless someone knows a good source for these?
aerogramma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject:  off topic! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EDIT_3 (and pretty off topic):I can see from your myspace you know Goodiepal as well. He's one of my old friends, small world Smile[/quote]

oh yes i know the palla quite well, i even know his grandma..
we did quite a few stuff togheter and he lunched at my table for years... supernice guy
ninja86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD - check Farnell for the LM567CN http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=9488367&action=view&CMP=e-b1ef
LektroiD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ninja86 wrote:
LektroiD - check Farnell for the LM567CN http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=9488367&action=view&CMP=e-b1ef

That is not an LMC567

LektroiD wrote:
loss1234 wrote:
IMPORTANT

Getting hold of a LMC567 is not the easiest thing in the UK. Unless someone knows a good source for these?

fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes... LMC567 ≠ LM567CN

try http://uk.farnell.com/national-semiconductor/lmc567cn-nopb/tone-decoder/dp/1559315

b

LektroiD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbob wrote:
yes... LMC567 ≠ LM567CN

try http://uk.farnell.com/national-semiconductor/lmc567cn-nopb/tone-decoder/dp/1559315

b

Farnell wrote:
US Stock
US Stock items that have a service charge indicated are coming from our Newark warehouse. The service charge will be 15.95 per order, in lieu of a freight charge for Newark items.

Delivery Charge: £15.95 once per order.

I'm looking for one in the UK Wink

DGTom

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need to pick up some LMC567s... I found the normal kind still pretty usefull, I made a pair of drone oscillators for my lunetta which do some cool 'stepping' tones when used in a feedback loop with one another & found a pretty good configuration for a nasty digital sounding fuzz. I'm gonna try this one out as well as I've still got a few chips, was it devised with the LM or LMC?
mikebike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this thing is awesome! im gonna build the WSG filter and tack it on the end!??!?! maybe an envolope folower? crazy!?!?!!
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: