electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Hope for a new OS.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ThreeFingersOfLove

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Hope for a new OS. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I have emailed Alesis regarding a new OS update: Below I give my own email and then the reply that Justin Baro from Alesis gave me.

Hi Mr Baro,

wow, at least a response from Alesis. Thank you for this.

I would like to ask if there is going to be an update for the OS of the Andromeda - I am not asking about any extra features or whatever just ironing the many bugs that it has. If it's not possible, then please can you tell me why.

Hi Yannis,

Pertaining to OS updates, we really do not hear of any plans for new updates until they are released on the website. However if you have any specific suggestions, I can forward this to the engineers.

Best Regards,

Justin Baro

Alesis Technical Support
200 Scenic View Drive
Ste.201
Cumberland, RI 02864

I suppose from Mr Baro's reply, you can understand that you don't need to hold your breath for a new OS.

Please, write here in this forum WHATEVER YOU ARE SURE TO KNOW AS A BUG - not things you fancy as bugs, not things of the type "it does this sometimes - or it did it yesterday" and CERTAINLY NO NEW FEATURES OR REQUESTS (not because we don't want them but because it's highly unlikely thay they will put any).

I will forward the bug-list to Mr. Baro and I will ask him to forward it to the engineers.

Regards,
Yannis
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great !
would be wonderful
i sometimes ago did some gathering of bugs and wishes, also "tested" them myself to see if it was a bug or occasional thing . i have no extra things found, but hope that you als take a look at the list and take some of the things written down there to give to them ( see under bugs and wishes, what not to expect from your a6: http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=wishlist&t=8763
let's hope it would work out,
great initiative, if any help is needed..
ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Sunny,

thanks for the link. Do you think it would be necessary to check the list again prior to sending it to Alesis? Some of the reported bugs are not confirmed - maybe they are bugs indeed, maybe not. From an Alesis perspective what is there to fix, if the problem is not known?

I wanted to ask if the envelope modes work the way they are described in the manual. I am almost positive that not all of them work but I would appreciate some feedback on this.

Regards,
Yannis
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when i wrote not confirmed , i meant , no bug or i couldn't find/ reproduce it . so only the things which are confirmed are what i would say "things that matter". one of them is indeed the envelop mode, it doesn't give what is promised.
( by the way when they are willing to change some things in the os , why not also inform them 'bout the wishes.
would be by example really great if the sequenser could sent out midi and be fully programmed while running)
andyval8088

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be nice if Alesis would update the OS, or better yet make it open source. I think the last release was in 2002 or 2003. Hopefully they take the bugs seriously!
ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sunny pedaal wrote:
when i wrote not confirmed , i meant , no bug or i couldn't find/ reproduce it . so only the things which are confirmed are what i would say "things that matter". one of them is indeed the envelop mode, it doesn't give what is promised.
( by the way when they are willing to change some things in the os , why not also inform them 'bout the wishes.
would be by example really great if the sequenser could sent out midi and be fully programmed while running)

My thoughts exactly.

Some things in the wish-list are so important that their omission seems like a bug. Maybe I should include this too.
rokuez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andyval8088 wrote:
It would be nice if Alesis would update the OS, or better yet make it open source. I think the last release was in 2002 or 2003. Hopefully they take the bugs seriously!

indeed. i rushed into a prophet 08 because I was worried about the a6 bugs, and also the prophet 08 just came out.

still want an a6 and will eventually have one. But they really need to fix the bugs I think it would definitely increase sales.

I bet making it open source would make the sales skyrocket. I remember how cool it was that there was an individual JJ making the o/s for the mpc 1k 2500. I wish there was someone like that for the a6.

Possibly alesis could sell the o/s rights to an individual or private company & charge for updates?

ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all,

I have recompiled the list that Sunny made and sent it to Alesis. Let's hope for the best.

Regards,
Yannis
andyval8088

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rokuez wrote:
andyval8088 wrote:

indeed. i rushed into a prophet 08 because I was worried about the a6 bugs, and also the prophet 08 just came out.

still want an a6 and will eventually have one. But they really need to fix the bugs I think it would definitely increase sales.

I bet making it open source would make the sales skyrocket. I remember how cool it was that there was an individual JJ making the o/s for the mpc 1k 2500. I wish there was someone like that for the a6.

Possibly alesis could sell the o/s rights to an individual or private company & charge for updates?

I got an A6 even though I knew about the bugs. The A6 is soooooo fat! I can deal with a couple of bugs. I'm sure they will get fixed eventually anyway. Also, I don't think it will get open sourced or leaked until they are not manufactured anymore. One can always wish though!
scd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't count on an update anymore.

Most A6-programmers do not work for Alesis/Numark anymore. It won't become open source either. A JJ alike OS is also unlikely unless someone steals the source code like JJ did.

I can live with the bugs. The Andromeda still stands like a monster synthesizer with unmatched specs.

rokuez

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

& how would one go about stealing/borrowing this source code :p
Mark-io

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess one would first try to dis-assemble the ROM code into something readable before one would actually try to steal something...
ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 1:09 PM
To: Justin Baro
Subject: Re: Ask A Question

Hello Mr Baro,

happy new year 2009! Do you perhaps have any news regarding the OS update?

Regards

Hello Ioannis,

No official news has been given as to updates at this time.

Best Regards,
Justin Baro

Alesis Technical Support
200 Scenic View Drive
Ste.201

Cumberland, RI 02864
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: