electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
NOMAD tweaks
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
avantronica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: NOMAD tweaks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey folks/developers

Nomad tweaking / bug reporting:

I'm a long-time NMk owner, just acquiring a long awaited MicroMod to the family - the portability makes the joys that bit more accessible.
So i'm all fired up, but the clavia Mac beta OSXeditor is (as you may know) temperamental .... so NOMAD looks promising and has some excellent additions - looking to the future it'd be good to see this developed

Now i've already spotted quite a few bugs (morphing settings being the most troubling) - but a few of the others do look easy to fix ... which is why i downloaded the source .... it's been a long time since i did any tinkering with code and i have to say the downloads i obtained thru cvs have left me wondering how to proceed

There seems to be a lot of stuff that is not required and there isn't anything obvious for me to 'compile' so if any of teh active developers could shed a bit of light on where to begin (and with which files) then it'd allow me to dig about a bit and suggest fixes (rather than just filing bug reports - i'd like to help with my very limited coding skills but plentiful enthusiasm and eye for detail)

OR is it best to just post up bugs and let the experts sort it ? Is development active ?

best s
julien

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

To setup your development environment you should follow the instruction here: http://nmedit.wiki.sourceforge.net/Eclipse .

I have some knowledge of the code, so I may be able to help you with the code. Otherwise you'll have to ask Christian. He developed most of nomad.

If you can tell me what you want to fix, I'll see if I can give you hints.

Julien
avantronica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
Thanks for the feedback

Here's the situation

I'd like to help thru the proper channels eventually (cvs etc) - but i'm not a developer. For now i'd like to prove I can get the right code downloaded form the site and make sense of the content - change a few things (e.g i've seen a case where knobA changes valueB and knobB changes valueA - i.e. simple to rectify) - then create new build versions (i prefer osx app)
At that point i may pass details of mod or modified file to active developers - or if it is easier than it looks, do it thru cvs.

At the time of my first post I assumed it was only bugs present in the code, I hadn't appreciated it still needed a fair bit of completing (e.g. slave LFOs and OSCs not complete!!). I also downloaded netbeans and it showed even more TODOs outstanding

OOP programming would be a nice skill to acquire, but it wasn't (isn't) clear to me which folders to download from the sf root, so it's all over by the first hurdle

I had no joy building the app in netbeans (couldn't locate main class) though i could see it (i think)

I'll try eclipse next - but a few pointers would be appreciated as to the root content (there does seem to be rather a lot of extra legacy stuff in there)

I'm also keen to stimulate interest in developing the code for the future
I know i can help a bit - more along the lines of bug finding/fixing than feature creation

I also know how hard it is to find the free time, I got half way thru developing an editor for the waldorf blofeld and then life catches up with you ...

cheers s
julien

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Best thing is that you setup the dev environment in eclipse, as explained in the wiki. Let me know if you face problems.

Yes the repository is full of legacy code. But the wiki points to the current directories.

If you want to correct the behavior/style of the modules you should look up the xml files in /plugins/net.sf.nmedit.nordmodular/data/ . The module.xml is used to describe the modules and the parameters associated to each module. The classic-theme.xml file is used to describe the graphical part of each module. If you find a bug that makes buttons sending the wrong values, it's probably rooted in the classic-theme.xml file.

To modify the xml files you don't need to setup a dev environment, just modify them in your favorite text editor.

Considering the OO aspect of nomad. Nomad is a big program and a bit difficult to get into. I can probably help with the core libraries, but I don't know much about the plugin system.

Cheers,

Julien
avantronica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again for the guidance Julien

I have seen the details in the link you provided and downloaded eclipse
This does seem to help
I also figured out how to check out the requisite files ... probably !!

There does seem to be a few problems (even though i'm no developer, it may be related to that fact, but maybe not, so hear me out ... )

First off
I get 5 errors just from checking out the two prescribed folders

Firstly I create a new workspace
Secondly I import from cvs the 'libs' folder as a project
Thirdly I import the 'nomad' folder which resided at the same level
Then the errors
1) Project 'nomad' is missing reqd library 'nmlibs'
2) "" "" "" reqd library commons-logging.jar
3) "" "" forms-1.0.7
4 "" "" looks-2.1.3
5) project won't build until errors resolved !

so
digging around
I find the commons-logging.jar file residing in another place (jar depencies) (i'm guessing this may be depenDENcies ?)
I find forms-1.1.0
+ looks 2.1.4
however
despite the warnings in Eclipse
I see no place to change these references to the 'latter' versions

There are no file references to e.g. 1.0.7 that i can locate

Of course all of this is just trial and error
However, I'd have assumed that the latest code in cvs source
was currently working

Clearly something needs tweaking - but what ? Build.xml holds no clues !

Can I suggest that a tidy up by a knowledgeable party be a good start point

Can you confirm I checked out the folders ok

i.e. I checked them both in (import) as projects into one workspace
then i can tick a box that links libs into nomad project (from nomad project settings)

When looking at teh wiki - it suggests settings that i cannot make from within the libs project (output folders etc) - i can only access these from nomad

Any clues anyone ? Can anyone confirm that following the wiki will produce a buildable release or have I gone wrong somewhere with eclipse?

Thanks
avantronica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey folks

Okay I found a similar thread with christian and blue hell

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-25377.html&highlight=

Having gone through this again

I can resolve ALL except the issue with the nmlibs project

I cannot adjust any settings wrt the libs project (the way i can with nomad)
I cannot select the libs project from the properties tab of nomad
I tried deleting the reference to nmlibs project and the nomad project generated 100s of errors - i cannot find a way of getting this sorted

It is also clear (beyond my learner status) that there are a few tweaks required to make the cvs version run smoothly - there ARE spurious files inside the 'official' folders

Also it is not possible for me to import the libs into the workspace using teh wizard - it comes up with a tags page that i cannot get past

I'm nearly there - can anyone complete the last piece of the puzzle regarding nmlibs

Help !! Surprised

s

[/url]
avantronica

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

okay folks
we have a bit more progress
i have twisted and turned past a few more of the obstacles
primarily by following teh excellent eclipse developer instructions
only a few leaps were required
alas

1) Not sure how to run the prescribed ANT script
ie cd nomad / ant configure
where and how do you do that
2) i ran the build.xml as ant using an assortment of rightclickmenus
...maybe this is same as 1) - not sure

basically throws up a bunch of errors and freezes at the splash screen

i have pasted the first of many errors below ...

severity=ERROR; code=BAD_LIBRARY; message=can't access to resources from library net.sf.nmedit.nordmodular@jnmprotocol in plug-in net.sf.nmedit.nordmodular@0.1.0, URL is file:/Users/avantronica/Documents/workspace/modular/nomad/nomad-source/plugins/net.sf.nmedit.nordmodular/lib/jnmprotocol2.jar; source={Library: uid=net.sf.nmedit.nordmodular@jnmprotocol}

seems like i am close to being able to run, but out of inspiration to make it happen

ps I had to rename the imported project from libs as nmlibs and edit the build xml file to suit this

online wiki stuff points to libs and nmlibs - i think this may be inconsistent

anyone wish to assist a budding developer get on the first rung of the ladder ?

how do we get to the OSX version from here ???

cheers
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Jump to: