electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
POLIVOKS VCF SIMPLE SCHEMATIC LAYOUT
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
haxster

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have mastered Polivoks VCF building and will soon post a full proper schematic. If you don't feel like getting into etching your own pcb I will be selling one on ebay this week. It is kinda pricey but that is because i do short runs. It has an onboard LFO, and Gain stage. Look at this blog to see the details if you would like to build this.

http://bluelanternclones.blogspot.com/

i will post the pcb on ebay right now.
handsfelloff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey nice one mate Very Happy

The pcb is pro! is it double sided? I would love to etch my own stuff, but prehaps for the first build this could be more sensible. I have some software that helps you design layouts, but one step at a time! I live in the uk I hope that wont be a problem for shipping.... I checked out ebay for the pcb but could not find it would you kindly send a link Shocked

cheers again!

Wilson
haxster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah it is 2 sided:

here is the link, i have afew more so if you miss this bid i can post another one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=290290542351
handsfelloff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the link!

Someone has tagged that already, but unforunately with the shipping its already getting out of my reach for me now.... UPS to UK at $46 is steep for a flat light weight letter size package. Damn couriers are a rip off and since its letterish it may be cheaper to send parcel post. Apologies for being a cheap stickler... your pcb is amazing and I'd love to build it if I can afford!

Alternatively or in the mean time.... still since I have my etching gear I would like to have a go myself on the cheap....whats the worst that can happen? I etch a hole in the bottom of my boat and sink to the bottom of the canal (5f max)
Do you reckon I could do a single sided hack or your design? Would be a great learning experience. I have some software that helps to create layouts and if it okay with you I could base off your latest schematic.

If you happen to have any prototype singlesided layout jpg's that I could start with that would save some time...Ah but that would be cheating Rolling Eyes

Im excited to get etch solder hacking!

many thanks

Wilson
haxster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will post a proper schematic then. I will start on it this evening pacific time so you could start planning your own pcb.

If you could find out how much shipping is for something under a lb. in weight USPS priority I could also ship it that way. That takes longer though.
The size of the pcb is roughly half a sheet of paper.
handsfelloff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks haxster,

What a legend Twisted Evil
Very much appreciated you have really help to bring this amazing little filter to the diy world with some nice extra twists...

I did some research into sending the pcb....Any courier seems prohibitively expensive $42 being a reasonably conservative figure. however this is because the package is calculated by rounding up to the nearest kg so...half a sheet of paper you say...should fit nicely into a large padded letter envelope it bound to be cheaper and customs don;t get nosy...We have a national post office royal mail cheap for delivering letters airmail. Not sure, but i guess there must be some equivalent over your way if the package fits into an envelope airmail sizes...

If there is no easy immediate cheap way I will have some fun making my own layout etches from your schematic trail and error way. In fact I definately will anyway for the experience...Ive got to use this tub of acid for something Twisted Evil then prehaps if you have some stock/increased demand i can give you a shout in a couple of months when I have some surplus £'s (like I ever have surplus) Shocked

thanks again for busting out the schematic.

Wilson
haxster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the first schematic page for Polivoks Vcf cloning. This is the Gain stage. I will do the other tomorrow. I am tired.

GAIN STAGE-POLIVOKS VCF 2009.bmp
 Description:
Gain Stage schematic for complete Modern version Polivoks VCF

Download
 Filename:  GAIN STAGE-POLIVOKS VCF 2009.bmp
 Filesize:  866.31 KB
 Downloaded:  1023 Time(s)

handsfelloff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surprised

Thanks mate this is great!

I have just ordered the parts I will start working this out in cad today.

Wilson
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am confused....are you saying that your new schematics allow you to build the polivoks filter without any hard to find parts? this would obviously be amazing! but if not...well i should order some of those odd programmable opamps!

thanks

handsfelloff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn right!

Order haxters board or even buy a complete build!
Parts are standard and cheap.
Wilson
haxster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah you build this with LM4250 Programmable Op amps (2 of them), here in the states those are not hard to find or obsolete. You can use the original IC also but you would have to change the 1.2M resistors to something lower. I don't think it is worth getting a hold of the original IC's. I will have the actual schematic soon, by Monday. The fix i used for this seems to be working for alot of filters were the cutoff range is poor. The trick is to put a 100k trimmer with +/- on pin 1 and 3 and have pin 2 with 100k go to the Control voltage portion of the circuit. Usually it has the Cutoff, and CV inputs tied together. Yusynth does this to alot of filter designs. I learned that from his stuff.

The polivoks alternative project was started from here:
http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/vcf_polivoks/vcf_polivoks.htm
You had to tweak it yourself to get it working.
No updated pcb was ever made or maybe there was no demand, it had kinda died.

I simply fine tuned and finished the job proper to a final reliable pcb.

This fixed worked with a Synthacon Steiner VCF too.
handsfelloff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've put haxters/raywilsons gain stage into cad and come up with a starting point for single layer pcb Surprised (with 3 jumpers) Its my first attempt at board design so I'll work on it more till I present it Embarassed
When I have done as best I can i'll post for comment and advice.
Im getting the parts this delived this week so i can start breadboarding!

its adictive Shocked
handsfelloff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,

So I have come up with a single sided layout of the schematic Haxter posted.
Its the very first board I have ever attempted to design and has taken the best part of a day even with this simple little schematic its quite a challenge to work out single sided Shocked fun though...I think Very Happy ...so I was wondering if you kind people (haxster if you have a moment) could check it out and advise me. I have done some learning about pcb layout so hopefully I have got some way and avoided the major pitfalls...
Anyway this is stage 1 the simple part...next comes the actual vcf Shocked that going to be fun!
Cheers,

Wilson

Last edited by handsfelloff on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:30 am; edited 2 times in total
handsfelloff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

single side pcb layout first attempt! Let me know if I made any obvious rookie errors Embarassed

cheers,

wilson

gain_pcblayout.jpg
 Description:
gain pcb Layout
 Filesize:  245.91 KB
 Viewed:  422 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

gain_pcblayout.jpg

gain_pcbtracks.jpg
 Description:
gain pcb tracks
 Filesize:  213.09 KB
 Viewed:  426 Time(s)

gain_pcbtracks.jpg

gain_schematic.jpg
 Description:
gain pcb schematic
 Filesize:  182.6 KB
 Viewed:  773 Time(s)

gain_schematic.jpg

jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

haxster wrote:
You get different Rez notches, it is a Rez Notch Hack.

I tested this Rez notch hack with my nearly-complete Papareil build last night. I don't know if it works the same since your build is slightly different. Anyways, the LPF mod is quite excellent, and will make it into my panel. The BPF made a difference but wasn't as immediately overwhelming... actually rendered the Polivoks uncharacteristically subtle! Surprised I don't know if it was just the sound sources I was processing or maybe it works better with the values/components in your build.

For anyone out there who is building the Papareil version and is curious, the mod is a pair of SPST switches which connect the center wiper of the Res pot to the negative pins of U5. (Do I have that right?) The one that works best for me connects to the junction of U5 pin 6, R21 and R22.

Thanks for the cool mod and other tips. Very handy.
davebr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Polifoks VCF filter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just built the Polivoks VCF on a breadboard using NTE888M parts. They seem to work quite well. I was less than enthusiastic about the self-oscillation so made a simple modification to make it more to a 10V pk-pk sine output. I've documented my modifications and have scope images of various waveforms over on my Polivoks filter page at http://modularsynthesis.com/kuzmin/polivoks/polivoks_vcf.htm.

[EDIT - I just got some УД1208 Russian parts and did frequency plot comparisons between the NTE888M and УД1208 parts. There is a slight frequency and output amplitude difference but they look very similar. Scope images have been added to my website for comparsion.]

Dave

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by davebr on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:01 am; edited 3 times in total
jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Polifoks VCF filter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davebr wrote:
I just built the Polivoks VCF on a breadboard using NTE888M parts. They seem to work quite well. I was less than enthusiastic about the self-oscillation so made a simple modification to make it more to a 10V pk-pk sine output.

Cool Dave. I have a second board. Someday I'll build your variation -- your mods seem useful and well considered as usual.

davebr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Polifoks VCF filter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davebr wrote:
I just built the Polivoks VCF on a breadboard using NTE888M parts. They seem to work quite well. I was less than enthusiastic about the self-oscillation so made a simple modification to make it more to a 10V pk-pk sine output. I've documented my modifications and have scope images of various waveforms over on my Polivoks filter page at http://modularsynthesis.com/kuzmin/polivoks/polivoks_vcf.htm.

[EDIT - I just got some УД1208 Russian parts and did frequency plot comparisons between the NTE888M and УД1208 parts. There is a slight frequency and output amplitude difference but they look very similar. Scope images have been added to my website for comparsion.]

Dave

I got some uA776 parts and added a comparison of those as well as a couple of videos and sound samples to my Polivoks filter page. - Dave
gasboss775

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: HOW DOES CURRENT SOURCE WORK? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can anyone explain how the voltage to current circuit works on this, I can't get my head round it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: