electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
electro-music 2009 location
Page 3 of 7 [151 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Kurt Michaels

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On a related note.....is there anyone here in this forum that specializes in electronic percussion? If I'm able to perform at EM09 I'd like to expand my performance to include percussion.

KMCc:)

www.myspace.com/kurtmichaels1

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: This looks great!
Subject description: do you want to reschedule Kansas City?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an exciting development for a 2009 electro-music festival.

I'm considering rescheduling the Kansas City (regional) electro-music festival. Please participate in a new poll.

Thank you!

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-226394.html

shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can anyone tell me what the weather is typically like at the end of october in Bloomingdale NJ? just kind of wondering because i will be driving to the gig. are the roads into the facility well maintained if there is a lot of snow?
rlainhart

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be very unusual to have snow at that time of the year - not impossible, but quite unlikely. It should actually be a beautiful drive, as the end of October in NJ is still foliage season.

At any rate, that area is usually pretty good about snow removal, if it should happen.

http://www.vimeo.com/rlainhart
http://www.youtube.com/rlainhart
http://soundcloud.com/rlainhart
http://twitter.com/rlainhart
http://www.facebook.com/rlainhart
http://richardlainhart.bandcamp.com/
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I live about 30 minutes by car away from Bloomingdale. Here is a picture of my neighborhood that I took on November 6, 2008. The Bloomingdale site is probably at a slightly higher elevation, so it will be a little cooler; but not much.

Halloween is usually sweater weather, and it often runs on a four-day cycle: One day brilliantly sunny and breezy, one day slightly warmer, partly cloudy, and calmer, one day overcast, and one day of rain.

My neighborhood.jpg
 Description:
My neighborhood, November 6, 2008.
 Filesize:  159.94 KB
 Viewed:  335 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

My neighborhood.jpg

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allentown, where I live, has similar weather. Halloween is quite often a day of beautiful weather where the little trick or treaters rarely have heavy coats on to cover their costumes.

The accommodations are all heated and AFAIK during the event it won't be necessary to go outside to move from venue to venue. This should be the best event ever.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: thanks
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks everyone! nice photo Ark! the fall foilage looks beautiful on your street. reminds me of my own area.

doesnt sound like weather will be an issue!

i do like the facility you guys have chosen...it really looks great for our event...i like the idea of all of us together at the same place, which will create much more time to enjoy everyone's sets and to hang out. i think your right mosc...its going to be great!

since the facility allows all hours of activity...i think an all night journey to the dark side on Halloween would be really cool.

secretmusic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I missed EM08 for a variety of reasons, and I'm glad that it'll be back in my area again. This site is a little over an hour from me, so I'll have to go this year. And my birthday's that Friday, too. Depending on how things shape up, I'd be interested in doing some related event on my radio show the Sunday afterwards, such as having a few of the performers come up to play live, interview, or some such thing. Would be a good tie in, I think.
Fishkill, NY 12524
newage@secretmusic.net
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very tempted to try to get to this
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:

That would be great!

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
modulator_esp wrote:

That would be great!

I've emailed to join the mailing list

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just looking at prices for flights and they are't too bad, especially if I fly mid-week, so it is looking like a distinct possibilty Smile

Would it make any difference if I flew to Newark or La Guardia?

mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not really a difference.
Newark is closer to the venue.About 25 miles.
Much easier commute than La Guardia,which is on the Island of Long
40 miles.

ark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let me emphasize how much more difficult it would be to get to the site from Laguardia. In order to get there from Laguardia, you have to cross the East River, Manhattan, and the Hudson River. That's two bridges and a lot of amazingly busy highways. If you are not familiar with driving in New York, you would be much better off with Newark Airport.

If you are planning to come from overseas, Newark has international flights and Laguardia does not. And the trip from Kennedy Airport to Bloomingdale is likely to be a nightmare.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like Newark is a better option then

What is the public transport like in the area?

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a Bus from New York that goes to the camp. I'm not sure about Newark.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
There is a Bus from New York that goes to the camp. I'm not sure about Newark.

thanks, that's useful to know

Atlas5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

come to SF in 2009, we have beer
billy_boogie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, the location and dates are chosen? We @ Rinse, Repeat. are very excited to hear the EM09 might be in Jersey and are VERRRY interested in playing again for everyone this year. Looks like a great spot.

www.myspace.com/rinserepeatband

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atlas5 wrote:
come to SF in 2009, we have beer

We tried to have it in the Bay Area this year but couldn't make it happen. We are working on it for electro-music 2010.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was curious what your thoughts are on public attendence... The camp looks great, but remote. Obviously, I'm not all familiar with the Bloomingdale area that's why I ask.

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
ark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RFBB wrote:
The camp looks great, but remote.

"Remote" is a matter of definition. Oof the camp entrances is literally at the end of a residential street, and the main entrance is 3 miles from the Interstate 287 exit.
RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess when I read the post from Greg about travelling by bus it threw up a red flag.

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
ark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RFBB wrote:
I guess when I read the post from Greg about travelling by bus it threw up a red flag.

Public transportation in New Jersey is geared toward commuters getting in and out of New York. Point-to-point transportation within New Jersey is a real nuisance because there isn't a single main highway, but rather a random interlocking network of them.

I do think that it would be a good idea to think about how best to arrange transportation for people arriving by air.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We went on another visit to the camp on Tuesday. It is really beautiful.

Comments in random order:

There is a bus from NYC that stops very near the camp. A cell phone call will send someone down top pick up people on that bus.

We need to look into people who come in from Newark Airport. It's a bit far to call the camp for pickups, but there is probably a bus that take you close enough for that. In any case, Newark is the airport of choice.

This is going to be one special event. Having everyone there 7/24 will make for a very wonderful experience. It's a beautiful location and the facilities are superb.

The is a problem that the WiFi there is very limited. If we stream, we will probably not be able to pass out the password to everyone because on email download will kill the stream. Even at that we'll have to cut down to 96 kbs or maybe even 64 kbs. This WiFi problem will be a tough nut to crack. Maybe someone will come that has a 3G USB modem or something and we can set up a separate network for email etc. We will have time to sort that out.

The cabins are much nicer than I thought they would be. Each has two bathrooms with showers and each has 6 rooms (32 beds total per cabin). So, we can have male and female halves of the cabins. There is in each cabin a common lounge with comfortable chairs, sofas and a fireplace. Nice places for small jams and schmoozing.

One bad thing is that there is no elevator to the upstairs performance area. We can consider having a performance space in a huge pavilion that is about 300 feet away in another building. There are no stairs but if the weather is bad it will be a problem. There is a paved walkway though.

For those that must have a room with private bath, there is a Best Western Motel a short drive away and there is a Lodge that might have some rooms available on the other side of the lake. We are waiting to find out about availability of the lodge.

Another great thing is that we can have some people move in on Wednesday night if they want to help set up for the general arrival of people on Thursday. If you are coming in from Europe of the West Coast, you might consider this as an option to arriving late on Thursday with jet lag and having to miss stuff.

We plan on having food service by Chef Geoff so there will be no need for people to leave the camp for the duration of the event. There is a very nice kitchen. We are thinking at the moment that the price will include room, all performances and seminars, and food. We don't want to go through the process of selling meal tickets and the like this time. It's too difficult for the volunteers and the Chef. If people want to bring personal food for some reason, there are microwaves available in the main building. We will do what we can to accommodate people with special needs.

All buildings are non-smoking. We aren't allowed to serve alcohol. Pets are not permitted, but service animals are allowed. Please bring service animal documentation just in case there are questions. There are bears in the woods, so it's probably best to leave pets at home anyway.

There is space for campers and a few spots with electric connections. There will be a small charge on a per person basis.

There will be very little camp staff on duty, so everyone will be expected to volunteer for cleanup and such. Past experience has shown that this won't be a problem; electro-music people are always keen to pitch in and contribute.

We hope to announce the costs for the different accommodations in a couple of weeks. This is another participant supported event. We expect the costs to be pretty reasonable all in all. We will allow single day attendance with and without beds, but we will price things to encourage people to stay for the entire event. It will make for a better experience for everyone.

This is going to be something special.

Page 3 of 7 [151 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: