electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
MIDI sync issues with arp and sequencer
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
cantgetnosleep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: MIDI sync issues with arp and sequencer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all,

I've had an A6 for several years and lately I've been having trouble syncing it to my computer. My setup is as follows:

Macbook pro.
Logic 8.0.2
MOTU midi express XT

When I try and sync the A6 to logic, the arp and the sequencer have a hard time staying on beat. They seem to either start early or late. Sometimes when I turn the machine off and back on, that helps. I can record what sounds like a perfect take into Logic, with the timing right, and when I play it back, it's off again. In fact, each time I play from logic, the notes seem to start erratically early or late.

I have the sync source set to MIDI on the A6, and Logic is sending midi clock, with Logic's sync source set to "internal".

Has any body had similar issues? Any ideas? This is driving me a bit nuts, so I'd appreciate any help...especially before I send it in to get it looked at because it's not under warranty and, coming from Texas, I'd have to mail it to either NY or LA to get it serviced.

I did read somewhere that the A6's delay will not sync to clock, and I've noticed this, but even with the delay off, I'm still having issues.

It's also possible that this is a problem with Logic and the MOTU unit. However, I don't have this problem with any of my other synths, so I feel like that's unlikely.

Many thanks - Andrew
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andrew, I can see why you cant get no sleep, sort of Laughing

welcome I hope someone will know, but maybe you can make the PC sync to the synth instead?

robertdouglas13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: arp sync problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello I have the same problem as you have, on an Imac with Logic 8.02, but with all my synths, the USB ones Acess Snow and Korg Micro X, and the midi ones like the JP 8000. Not only that but when by chance an arp sequence runs more or less correctly and I want to record it by whether an audio in track or boucing it through an external instrument track, the arp stops and all i record is a long 4 bars boring note. The only way i found is to record the arp pattern in midi, and then play it from logic as a succession of notes.
Mind as well that all midi synths don't play at the same speed. The Snow: same timing as Logic plugins . The Micro Korg: ahead of the beat, the old midi ones lag far behind. All this is automatically compensated within logic but strangely only through "external instrument" track and not trough an audio in track.
Well, sorry, I'm not very helpful here, but just to say that the problem may come from Logic itself. In my case it's pretty sure, it's not like all my machines have an arp problem.
Douglas.
cantgetnosleep

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the responses and welcomes. Yeah, unfortunately I think MIDI is kind of a forgotten step child. Douglas - sounds like you're having more problems than me there. I can feel your pain.

Take it easy.
robertdouglas13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: sync thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, Thanks for the advice about calming down, after a month and half wasted on midi and arp problems I've finally given up defeated. But as some kind of retaliation I'm going to burn all my hardware synths and do everything with sofwares. They might not sound as good but they work, and in sync. And I'm not even sure they don't sound as good.
Well,
Bye.
Douglas "not-zen-yet".
jonkull

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello. I use an A6 with Logic 8 on a MacBook Pro and haven't noticed the timing issues you describe. I use an M-Audio MidiSport 4x4 so...maybe it's a MOTU issue? I'll go play around with some arps/seqs now just to make sure and post my results here.
jonkull

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope. No sync problems here. I tried with my M-Audio interface and my MOTU Ultralite's MIDI port. One thing I did notice is that some of the presets have odd numbers of steps...like 6 or 7 instead of 4 or 8. They sound out of sync when played back from Logic in 4/4 time.
cantgetnosleep

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jonkull: Thanks for checking. I've wondered if it's the motu unit, but since I don't seem to have the problem with my other synths, I'm not sure. However, that said, I use my A6 much more than my other synths, so maybe I'm just noticing it. I do have an M-Audio 2x2 and I'll check with that and see if the problem goes away. Hmm.

Cheers - Andrew
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you have to send a midi "start" message to make the arp/seq sync up.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: