electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » How-tos » Manuals, Instructions, and Documents
Ondioline User and Technical Manuals
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Dayfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Ondioline User and Technical Manuals
Subject description: Restorer Is Searching for Manuals
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have just restored an Ondioline which works fine but because it has so many switches, trimmers and potentiometers that need adjusting I desperately need user and technical manuals or similar for the instrument. Any language would be ok. The serial (I assume) number on the volume control panel is 1096. I would appreciate any help, leads, and other information anyone could give me and would be happy to pay copy and postage costs or for the manuals.
Dana Countryman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ondioline User and Technical Manuals

Dayfan wrote:
I have just restored an Ondioline which works fine but because it has so many switches, trimmers and potentiometers that need adjusting I desperately need user and technical manuals or similar for the instrument. Any language would be ok. The serial (I assume) number on the volume control panel is 1096. I would appreciate any help, leads, and other information anyone could give me and would be happy to pay copy and postage costs or for the manuals.

How did you you do, with restoring your Ondioline?

- Dana
Dayfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Ondioline Restoration
Subject description: Restoration of two Ondiolines

Dana,

I did find a copy of the manual in French that was fairly helpful. I ended up drawing my own schematics and figured out what did what. I have restored two Ondiolines with one museum quality. I would be willing to do another one.

Mark
Dana Countryman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ondioline Restoration
Subject description: Restoration of two Ondiolines

Dayfan wrote:
Dana,

I did find a copy of the manual in French that was fairly helpful. I ended up drawing my own schematics and figured out what did what. I have restored two Ondiolines with one museum quality. I would be willing to do another one.

Mark

Well, I own two. One worked for a while, and I recorded it a little. It's fantastic!

It stopped working, and the guys in my repair shop never got it working well again. It has a lot of rust in it, and the wires are crumbling away.

My second Ondioline worked in Switzerland, but stopped working when I got it to America. It has been in the shop for over two years. They've worked on it occasionally, but I don't have a lot of confidence in them. I even gave them the "head" of the first Ondioline (which works), in hopes that they can make ONE working instrument.

If my guy can't fix it, maybe I could have you work on it? I would love a working Ondioline.

- Dana

Check out my new Sci-Fi music video with Jean-Jacques Perrey:
"Funky Little Spacegirl"!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FEet-mRXc
Dayfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Ondioline Restoration
Subject description: Ondioline repair or restoration

Dana,

I would be interested in restoring your Ondiolines. What I can do ranges from a complete museum quality restoration to a functional restoration that includes new parts undisguised as old. I can also do the cabinets. One of the instruments I restored was very rusty and much of the wiring had to be replaced because the insulation was rotten, hard and crumbly. A chore but necessary for any success. I also have restored an Ondes Martenot and RCA Theremin. If you would like some pictures of any of these let me know. These are great instruments and both should be restored so they don't end up in the dump! I think your video was great!

Mark
Dana Countryman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ondioline Restoration

Dayfan wrote:
Dana,

I would be interested in restoring your Ondiolines. What I can do ranges from a complete museum quality restoration to a functional restoration that includes new parts undisguised as old. I can also do the cabinets. One of the instruments I restored was very rusty and much of the wiring had to be replaced because the insulation was rotten, hard and crumbly. A chore but necessary for any success. I also have restored an Ondes Martenot and RCA Theremin. If you would like some pictures of any of these let me know. These are great instruments and both should be restored so they don't end up in the dump! I think your video was great!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliment on the video! That was a lot of fun....

OK, I'm very interested about having you restore my Ondioline's.
Let's talk on the phone aboout the details.
Please email your phone number to dana@danacountryman.com, with a best time to call. I'm in the Seattle area.
I'm really fed up with my repair guy, and willing to go with you. But we should talk.

Also, I'm amazed that you've worked on an Ondes Martenot. There's one in America?? I'd be curious to know WHERE it is. I've never seen one in person.

I'm just finishing building a Martenot-style ring controller for my modular synthesizer. There's a video at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB5pWE8Zv8U

- Dana Countryman
Dana Countryman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ondioline Restoration

Dana Countryman wrote:
Dayfan wrote:
Dana,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliment on the video! That was a lot of fun....

OK, I'm very interested about having you restore my Ondioline's.
Let's talk on the phone aboout the details.
Please email your phone number to dana@danacountryman.com, with a best time to call. I'm in the Seattle area.
I'm really fed up with my repair guy, and willing to go with you. But we should talk.

Also, I'm amazed that you've worked on an Ondes Martenot. There's one in America?? I'd be curious to know WHERE it is. I've never seen one in person.

I'm just finishing building a Martenot-style ring controller for my modular synthesizer. There's a video at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB5pWE8Zv8U

- Dana Countryman

Mark,

Sorry! I didn't see your private message before I sent the above.
I'll give you a call -- thanks!

- Dana
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ondioline Restoration

Dayfan wrote:
If you would like some pictures of any of these let me know.

Please post some pictures here on electro-music, I'm sure they would be of interest to the rest of the community too.

Cheers,
Adam-V

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My friend Nick has the technical manuals for the Ondioline. I'll be passing his house today. I'll ask him. In the meantime- yes please- PHOTOS!! Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He said that all that he could find was these scans.

Looks like there is a circuit diagram there, so hope that helps Smile

I've also got JJP's promoter's email and phone number- PM me if you need these (he originally supplied the plans).

regards,

Tom

Ond 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Viewed:  1789 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Ond 2.JPG

Ond 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.21 MB
 Viewed:  1200 Time(s)

Ond 1.JPG

Dayfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Schematics and pictures
Subject description: Restored Instruments

Thanks Tom for the information. Every bit helps. Below are some URL's for photos of instruments I've restored. Can't see the interior which is interesting to me but you can see how the instruments turned out. I didn't do the cabinet for Ondioline 1 or the palm but did the rest. Going through the photos reminded me of how much work goes into one of these restorations. If you are interested I can post some before and after or some interior photos. I don't see a convenient way to post photos on this site. Am I missing something?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Mark
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Schematics and pictures
Subject description: Restored Instruments

Dayfan wrote:
Am I missing something?

Yup, the img tag Laughing it's a button you can hit when composing your message. I edited your message to show the pics, when you want to see how I did it you can edit or quote your post. Basically I added a http prefix and enclosed the URLs in IMG tags.

Nice pics!

Edit : good work too!

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! Those are beautiful instruments...

/Stefan

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dayfan, they're beautiful!! Very Happy

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elgauchoandres

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ondioline User and Technical Manuals

Dayfan wrote:

Hi! maybe you or other people interested may visit: http://retrotsf.free.fr/ondioline/ondioline.htm where you'll find schematics, a demo record, magazine articles, etc.
I know two Ondiolines, one like that is in the museum of Citè de la Musique of Paris (France) in bad shape and (most common model), and a very rare model that is in the Museo de la Música of Fundación Joaquin Díaz (Spain) http://www.funjdiaz.net/museo/ficha.cfm?id=104

··elgauchoandres··
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Duchemole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi everybody
i live in france and have an ondioline (and know a friend who has one too)
i have a slightly different model from the usually seen pictured on internet (not as different as the spain museum model)
it's been fixed here by a technician too (when i've received it, it was 110V and i did not know that), it's playable again, with some small tuning problems in higher notes (small black pots on the front)
i'm very glad to see that other people have interest about that marvelous instrument !!!

ondioline.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.87 KB
 Viewed:  1030 Time(s)

ondioline.JPG

Dayfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Ondiolines
Subject description: Pictures/Sites

The pictures and sites are great! I am surprised at the variety of cabinets and styles that the pictures show. The Ondioline in Spain is one I have never seen. Please post pictures and sites showing or discussing Ondiolines. The site in France with the schematics etc is very good, I found very good data there when I was doing my first restoration.
autoprod

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject:  Ondioline 7 watt amp schematic Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great timing on this thread. I've just started restoring an Ondioline and so far it's been invaluable help.

I thought I'd share a schematic for the amplifier part, as it deviates a tad from the above - Most notably at the output, where the 1250 Ohm reads 250, and the 16ohm only 6. It could be a misprint, but there are no signs of faded letters or other damage/manipulation. Also, there is another hook up and cap size at the transformer.

Ondioline_amp_1950.PDF
 Description:
Ampli-7w-Schema de principe

Download
 Filename:  Ondioline_amp_1950.PDF
 Filesize:  536.89 KB
 Downloaded:  994 Time(s)

Dana Countryman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ondioline 7 watt amp schematic
Subject description: Dana Countryman's Ondiolines

autoprod wrote:
Great timing on this thread. I've just started restoring an Ondioline and so far it's been invaluable help.

I thought I'd share a schematic for the amplifier part, as it deviates a tad from the above - Most notably at the output, where the 1250 Ohm reads 250, and the 16ohm only 6. It could be a misprint, but there are no signs of faded letters or other damage/manipulation. Also, there is another hook up and cap size at the transformer.

I'm reading all this with GREAT interest.
I have owned an Ondioline since 2000. It is a Blonde model. It has been in and out of the shop several times. I don't even want to tell you all how much I've spent on repairs on it. (!)

I traveled from Seattle to Paris in the year 2000, to bring back the instrument, which I bought sight unseen over the internet. It was in terrible shape. It still is.

After the first repair, it worked for a while. I did some recording with it at that time. Here is a sample of a wonderful oboe-like setting, with the manual vibrato implemented by moving the keys back and forth:
http://www.danacountryman.com/misc/ParisPartial.mp3

Unfortunately, the instrument stopped working shortly after this. Many of the switch contacts are rusted, and much of the wiring is crumbling away. The original filter bank faceplate was damaged by heat, and was melted badly in places. I had a new faceplate created at a local company.

In 2006, I obtained another Ondioline - a Walnut-stained model. This one is in much better shape. However, although it worked in Switzerland, by the time it was trasported to Germany, it suddenly did not work. It hasn't worked since.

I took it into the repair shop, where it has been for almost two and 1/2 years, until yesterday, when I brought it home. The repair guy was not successful in fixing it at all. Obviously, I'm not very happy about this fact. I intend to have it repaired once and for all.

These are fantastic instruments -- very expressive, with sounds you just cannot get from a modern synth.

I'm including photos of the front and back of my original Blonde Ondioline.

- Dana Countryman
http://www.danacountryman.com

OndiolineDana.jpg
 Description:
My Blonde Ondioline, with the varnish beautifully restored by my father.
 Filesize:  424.35 KB
 Viewed:  1032 Time(s)

OndiolineDana.jpg

OndiBackDana.jpg
 Description:
The back of my Blonde Ondioline.
 Filesize:  429.39 KB
 Viewed:  1007 Time(s)

OndiBackDana.jpg

Dayfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Ondioline Schematic
Subject description: Schematics vs. reality

Autoprod, glad to hear about another Ondioline being restored. We need to keep as many of these instruments alive as possible! Your schematic is not visible so l looked at the original and it looks like the 1 was added to the 250 ohm resistor grounding the cathodes of the 6F6 tubes. I would suspect that the 250 is right, especially if it looks original. In general, when I'm restoring something, if it looks original I go with the value installed if it checks relatively close to the marked value. Manufacturers often changed things in production from the schematics and never bother to tell anyone. They often changed values based on what they had on hand because many values are not critical. The Ondiolines I restored use 6BQ5 tubes instead of 6F6 tubes and use a different value altogether. I have a schematic of the 6BQ5 version of the power supply/amp that I drew if anybody needs it. I also have written up some directions for tuning an Ondioline if anybody is interested.

Dana, sorry you didn't get your Ondioline fixed. Give me a call?
Dana Countryman

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Dana's Martenot Electronics
Subject description: Dana's Martenot Electronics

Howdy,

I put together the "bare bones" minimum modules needed for my "Martenot Controller" and mounted them in the top half of a synthesizers.com portable cabinet.

Now, I can lug this contraption to various places, and not be stuck in the basement, dependent on the big modular.

Next up: a midi keyboard, mounted on springs, capable of manual vibrato and voltage control.

Cheers,

- Dana Countryman (always thinking!)

http://www.danacountryman.com/martenot_project/martenot.html

PortCabSm.jpg
 Description:
My portable cabinet (mounted on a tripod), for use with the Martenot Controller....
 Filesize:  466.92 KB
 Viewed:  810 Time(s)

PortCabSm.jpg

instrumantiq

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Ondioline
Subject description: About mine

Hello,
Thank you for this instructive conversation. For my part (you look all living quite far from my place) I give al my Ondiolines to the famous parisian repairer (the one who repaired the JJ Perrey's) called Jean-Loup Dierstein. I've got recently an other one in a very good cosmetic condition (walnut) also the inner parts...but making just a sound like a buzzzzz. I sale it.
In case : http://www.instrumantiq.com/pages_html/galeries_anciens-divers.htm

Bye
Gilles from France
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Gilles!

welcome to electro-music.com!

I guess my question would be, how much? Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
instrumantiq

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello v-un-v Janitor ,

it is very difficult to find one working. The one I'm presenting today doesn't escape to the rule. Because of the condensers ?...there is a sound like buzzzzz...

It is now a bit more than 40 years of age (41 precisely, wrote in a carnet by the seller in Paris-that we furnish- 31st of March 1957). Not used for around 10 years but kept carefully by the widow of the owner in a room, protected against the humidity and the heat. All lamps are working. One button is missing. The wood (walnut) is in good condition.  There is no rusting part visible inside.
Up part length 58cm / down part length 41,5cm / total height 70cm / down part width 21,5 cm / up part width 18 cm
I sale it 700 euros without the delivery.

I read on your post...Birmingham...a friend of mine or my son should croos the Channel by car soon. You can save some money in just giving them a part of the gas for their travel !!

To see the pictures on the site (we displayed new ones today and we can send other if needed) :
http://www.instrumantiq.com/pages_html/galeries_anciens-divers.htm

Options :
230 euros for a wooden cover for the keyboard like used to propose Georges Jenny on the same model, also in walnut platted. To see :
http://www.instrumantiq.com/pages_html/galeries_E-Accessoires.htm
110 euros for new French varnish

If you want to join us as member (free of charge, without commitment) will let you the possibility to make an order or a buying-option  :
http://www.instrumantiq.com/pages_html/contacts_formulaires-membres.htm

At your disposal for any further information if needed.
Cordially.
Gilles

Email : info@instrumantiq.com
Tel # : 00 33 (0)1 30 56 66 25
Mob : 00 33 (0)6 08 96 31 54
Address : B.P 35 78592 Noisy Le Roi CEDEX -FRANCE-
Company : "instrumantiq" Gilles ELIE
N° Registre du commerce : 454 006 990 Versailles
instrumantiq

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Abestos
Subject description: What about abestos sheet ?

Hello,
Is anyone knows what material could replace the abestos (amiante in French) part efficiently, with the same peculiar quality....?

Thank you
Gilles

Mail : contact@instrumantiq.com
tel.(France) : 00 33 1 30 56 66 25
Mobile : 00 33 6 08 96 31 54
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Manuals, Instructions, and Documents
Jump to: