electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
wish: Interpolating Distributor
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: wish: Interpolating Distributor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hell Jürgen,
i post this instead of mailing, so others can post their Opinions too.

My wish is an Interpolating distributor ! ( the name says it all ! and sorry: long post )
What for ?
well, one might like to distribute sounds to different FX units, oder filters, but for this you might better go with a non interpolating unit.
so where would be the Goal for the interpolating thingy ?
Soundinstallations ! or surround installations at Home.

The more the wish came up to go on stage with my Modularsynth, the more i thought it should be more a kind of an soundinstallation than a kind of liveact.
First the idea of a distributor came up for distribute sounds to dfferent FX units.
but as mentioned i realized that one don't need interpolating functions for this use.

But imagine a concert in a park where you can distribute the sounds to 9 speakers.
or make at home your Surroundsetup with some cheap PC speakers ( they sound IMHO ok )

now i thought about how the module should be:
1 input
9 Outputs
LFO: 2 modes:
normal = 1-9 orientation of the outputs
spread = out 5 is center, then 4 outs left, 4 outs right, the LFO is dual and running in both directions

How i understand it would require a CV bus for every single out.
But this is not that complicated IMO

I'm shure there are many uses for such a module, but i think most of them are not THAT important.
But the surround distribution is interesting ! IMO
and for some folks it might be a chance to come up with something very special for live events !
( please don't underestimate this aspect please )
I don't expect lots of sales for such a board, and i'm VERY interested even if i have to pay 100€ (no, i'm really not rich )

For very advanced live patchings one might like to mix several of those boards, which would require then also a mixer for each out to speakers,
and one might like to ad Panners between.
Fonik has just something interesting: the stereo X-fade-Pan

One might think this is better done in digital. Maybe, if you like PCs.........i do not !
But finally you work much more intuitiv with analog gear and the modulationspeeds and possibilitys are somewhat better ( hmmm, maybe i'm wrong )

I have here not only modularsynth liveacts in mind.
Imagine a Drummer with Percussionists and a modularsynth for the 3d animation.
Modularsynths are more than noisemakers.....
and they might be also more then just huge FX units.........
and now combine everything.....................combine the electronic world in anyway with the classical Instruments.
How much more intuitiv to work would be a analog setup than a Notebook with some software ?
same Results ? NO, for shure not IMHO

In my imagination there are wonderful possibilitys to work with a Intrepolating distributor.
Begin with a drone that circles around 9 speakers..........up to ausiospeed Smile
Cool

any Opinions are very Welcome ! thanks
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see the use of something like that, and it would be easy to convert an Interpolating Scanner into a Distributor ...

... if it wasn't for the sharing of most of the VCA circuity between all channels in the Scanner.

As you see in the schematics
http://www.jhaible.heim.at/interpolating_scanner_and_scanvib/interpolating_scanner_2008_sch.pdf
the collectors of all 9 transitor pairs are tied together and feed a common/shared "back end" of the VCA, consisting of U10 and the resistors and capacitors and offset trimmer around U10.

For a Distributor, you'd simply use 9 individual stages of this opamp circuit, each connected to one dedicated transistor pair.
You could probably build this on a piece of veroboard that you place on top of the main board, but you'd have to break the connections that link the 9 transistor pairs' collectors. (Cut traces.)

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Funky40

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Jürgen !

jhaible wrote:

For a Distributor, you'd simply use 9 individual stages of this opamp circuit, each connected to one dedicated transistor pair.

ok, to draw a Board for this is possible for me. I'm not so successful with Veroboards

jhaible wrote:
I see the use of something like that, and it would be easy to convert an Interpolating Scanner into a Distributor ...

... if it wasn't for the sharing of most of the VCA circuity between all channels in the Scanner.

As you see in the schematics
http://www.jhaible.heim.at/interpolating_scanner_and_scanvib/interpolating_scanner_2008_sch.pdf
the collectors of all 9 transitor pairs are tied together and feed a common/shared "back end" of the VCA,

JH.

i would not have to exchange inputs with outputs on the VCA sections ?

How about a LFO with spread modus.
As far i understand i could double the Wave with an inverter and then cut off the V- part on both , not ?
so no second LFO is needed and no CV mixbus.

it sounds easy on your post............the LFO spread thing seems now also much more easy than expected first....
Yes, first when the Idea came up i hoped that one can modifie the Interpolating Scanner
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:

i would not have to exchange inputs with outputs on the VCA sections ?

You'd tie all 9 inputs together, and have 9 outputs.
Re-reading your first postagain, I'm not sure if this will really be what you wanted.
What I describe is something like a 9-channel linear panner.
There is only one channel on at one time, plus there is crossfading between neigbouring channels. Just a 1->9 configuration instead of the original 9->1 configuration. Nothing more.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Funky40

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

What I describe is something like a 9-channel linear panner.
JH.

Yes, thats what i'm looking for.
The Idea was then thought further to have a stereo panner with centerpoint and spread modus of modulation, but thats secondary.
I'll have another look on the schematics and will think about it.

thank you Jürgen !
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: