electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Genoqs Octopus vs Infection Music ZEIT
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mObiTh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Genoqs Octopus vs Infection Music ZEIT Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've wanted an Octopus for a while now (and am properly upset at the current pound->euro exchange rate) and have recently looked at the Zeit too. I'm almost tempted to remortgage to get the vampire edition...

Am wondering if anyone on here has experience of both machines and could comment on how the two machines compare.

I'm into making extreme apocalyptic noise - proper end of the world stuff - and wanna know how suitable these machines would be for generating large amounts of chaotic, evolving, but still vaguely musical (haha yeah right!) music data.

It would form the hub of a hardware setup containing various analogue drum machines and synths, and also hopefully sync to my other bits of kit that have sequencers (machinedrum, xbase, etc) without any trouble, although possibly I'd want to 'bypass' these sequencers and just use these boxes as sound modules via midi (although synchronisation is still useful for effects etc).

Hope that makes sense. I know the answer is probably that I should save up for an octopus but I'd love to hear more about the Zeit if anyone has any experience?

Cheers

m
BirdFLU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a desktop Zeit and it will do what you want, but so will the GenOqs machines.

You should really think about how you think a sequencer should work for what you want to do. Then, really carefully study the manuals for each machine. I can e-mail you the latest Zeit manuals, I don't know if they're posted or not.

I think the biggest differences between the two are the Genoqs machines can do more stuff, but the Zeit is easier to learn and probably faster to use in a live environment. If you're gigging, you might like the Zeit more, if you're mostly using it at home maybe the Genoqs will be more to your liking.

I really like the ideas and capabilities of the Genoqs machines, but looking at the way I do things, I knew the Zeit would be a better fit for me even if it meant having fewer capabilities.
sparky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why bother comparing them if the Zeit is virtually unobtainable? I paid a deposit over four years ago and I'm still waiting. I've been very patient and have only emailed a few times asking for updates. I received replies apologizing for the delay and lack of communication, then two years ago I was told there was only one person ahead of me in the queu and my Zeit would be ready in a few months. The only contact I've ever had from David Hughes at Infection Music that wasn't a reply to one of my few emails was: 1) A request for an additional deposit about eight months after the promised Zeit never arrived and 2) Back in late November of 2004, just after I'd decided to put down a deposit and received the info for doing a bank tranfer, I suffered a gall bladder attack and had to spent a few days in the hospital. When I returned home I found an email from David Hughes, upset that I hadn't made the deposit yet, as he had expected.

I'm curious BirdFLU, how long ago did you make your deposit?
mObiTh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uh oh...
BirdFLU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sparky, it took four years for me too I thought it was because I wanted the desktop model. I've had mine a little over a year, so I haven't kept up on whether they were shipping or not since then. If they're not shipping, then I guess it is a little hard to compare. I don't know why they wouldn't be shipping because even though mine is supposed to be a "beta" unit, it's OS is probably 98% done. I've had other gear or software that wasn't in beta that was less finished.

Someone is selling a rackmount version on the AH list right now, so that one will probably ship.
mObiTh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a four year lead time is outrageous!

i've taken the plunge and netted the last vampire squid...
Nelson Baboon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mObiTh wrote:

The Octopus is a phenomenal sequencer (I have the original version), and the genoqs people are great. There have been several significant updates in the couple of years since I got the machine, and they are, in general, extremely responsive to user input. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
mObiTh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droolmaster0 wrote:
mObiTh wrote:

The Octopus is a phenomenal sequencer (I have the original version), and the genoqs people are great. There have been several significant updates in the couple of years since I got the machine, and they are, in general, extremely responsive to user input. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

yeah i've no doubt at all i've made the right decision. it's just a shame i can't use it - i'm in the process of rebuilding my house and if i start playing with it i'll end up living in a building site for ever...!
Dayflight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject:  Octopus Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I have also an octopus and after a learning period I can say its a fantastic sequencer ever build.

mObiTh wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
mObiTh wrote:

yeah i've no doubt at all i've made the right decision. it's just a shame i can't use it - i'm in the process of rebuilding my house and if i start playing with it i'll end up living in a building site for ever...!
kybertech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the Octopus now nearly one year and must say this is the most complicated machine I ever possessed. I am basically able to use it like a regular step sequencer now and compose lead, bass and drums.

But I still record the midi to the computer to create a song.
I purchased it in the hope to get the composing process entirely out of the computer- which might be possible with it but I don't know for sure since the learning curve is so high.

The one thing the Octopus has as advantage against other machines is that you can rewrite the operating software if you know C and learn the eCos system (which is quite complicated as well)
skippy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone know the status of the Zeit sequencer?

Last news seems to be 17 Dec 09 when it was discontinued with a new version "early in the new year" 2010.

http://www.infectionmusic.com/news.html
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re: Octopus:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-46301.html

It doesn't seem to be good times for hardcore MIDI sequencers...

/Stefan

ikarus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="skippy"]Anyone know the status of the Zeit sequencer?
Last news seems to be 17 Dec 09 when it was discontinued with a new version "early in the new year" 2010.

he owes me a deposit also for a zeit , i have serious doubts he will ever trade again as infection music.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: