electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: A WINTER STREAM 09
Page 4 of 5 [103 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Thanks for organizing the Winter Stream event Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just want to express my appreciation to everyone involved in the Winter Stream event.

Thanks to all the electro-musicians who shared their music. I enjoy the music -- food for the brain and for the soul.

For me, this event was quite challenging. My normal idiom is composed music -- and my Aries synth was built primarily with multi-track recording in mind. So yesterday was a "first" for me -- that is, to improvise on the Aries without any pre-recording.

As a result, I have a "punch list" for the Aries. Some of my VCA's have some CV bleed thru that I need to fix. Also, I need to fix my internal reverb unit -- while not as full-featured as my outboard digital processor, the internal unit is a lot more spontaneous. Need to replace the switch on the Phase/Flange unit. Need to build more patch cords -- and repair some old ones Wink Also, I definately need to add a dedicated clock-divider to the synth. (I had to tie up my sequencer for this purpose).

Anyway, I had a blast both as a listener and as a performer.

Let's do it again! Smile

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think there were some more people going into a more experimental direction than they usually would. Must say that I enjoyed that aspect, and a more informal event (as this one) seems like ideal for that too ... we should do this more often indeed.

I found a couple of things to fix as well ... Laughing

Anyway, thanks to everyone participating, this was great ... I'm sorry we failed to pick up Ganzha ( http://electro-music.com/forum/post-229481.html ) though.

Oh let me not forget to thank Howard who did put in a lot of work to stabilize the server software and made it more accessible to control by non experts ... and it did perform pretty damned good actually.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have yet to hear the recording of those guys that played well after I had to be in bed. But for the 8 or so hours I did listen, it was a great time, and I think this one went better than new years eve - practice helps both from the performance and the engineering. A big thank-you to Howard and Jan for manning the servers, and a round of applause for the musicians. I hope we do this again sometime soon.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, did we all have a great time! I only caught about 70% of the music because I took a nap. Funny thing was, I got the starting time wrong and they started my music without me! Luckly it's all automated and I had begun streaming already (just in case).

I enjoyed hearing the many different styles of electronic music that were played, as I have been focusing on ChucK primarily since I joined a year and a half ago. Everything from subtle meandering tones to active high-energy music was played, and we even got to hear Howard sing.

My own set went well although there were two problems: I had to restart the generator four times and my typing caused little glitches in the music. I have since fixed those problems, or so I believe.

Everybody's work got compliments and was appreciated sincerely. The video was impressive also, what I saw of it. Also the chatroom conversation was quite entertaining, with people talking about all sorts of things related to our music.

Thanks to Shane, Jan, Paul, and Howard for helping people get their setups working all week. It was a big effort and it paid off well. I'm already looking forward to the next show.

Jason

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanted to thank all of those involved but especially Shane , Jan and Howard! Thank you all...

Cheers,
Jason

The Amber Portal
mystahr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A very big thank you to the people behind the curtain of streaming radio.

You did a swell job in keeping the flow going!

I probably cuaght half of all the performers and enjoyed it all immensely.

Thank you for having me; I dare say I outdid my own expectations on this one.

And thanks ocp, for sharing; a shame I missed that one (and some more).

Keep the world turning!

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Big hug to the people holding this together - this was a smooth operation for as long as I was there.

Thumbs up to the performers - the stuff I've heard so far was all though-provoking, fun and enjoyable.

I raise my glass to all of you spreading love in the chat.

I could get addicted to this. Very Happy

I'm trying to put up my stuff, but there's something wrong with the server where I keep it. I'll post links when it's working.

/Stefan

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I enjoyed playing my set, and what I heard of other people's sets, just wish I could've listened to more

I recorded my set, but it gets a bit distorted in places I'm afraid

I don't know whether to post it as is or try to re-record the worst bit

Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I listened to quite a few of the performances and enjoyed it immensely. Overall, it was one of the smoothest broadcasts ever. Congrats to all.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
jono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you all for this amazing event and lesson.
Specialy to Shane, Jan and Howard who made this possible.
The language of sound, speaking!
João

(for the records mom, dad and my 2 sisters were listening with me until sleep took them to bed)
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to apologise for the (unintentional) horrible shriek of feedback at the end of my second piece. I feel pretty bad about this, especially since there were probably several listeners using headphones - that stuff can damage your ears. I'll take care to check so that this never happens again.

That aside, I've left the warts in the recordings (there was some kind of strange interference from the monome at the start at the second piece - can't explain it). Here they are:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 (Carrying You Home)

/Stefan

Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to everbody who made this gathering possible.
All whent very well and I had a good time listening.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I would like to apologise for the (unintentional) horrible shriek of feedback at the end of my second piece. I feel pretty bad about this, especially since there were probably several listeners using headphones - that stuff can damage your ears.

I had you on head phones, my ears survived ;-) (it was not that loud really, probably clipped before being transmitted) ... anyway these things can happen, its live, its improvised, the studio is the instrument ... don't feel too bad about out .. could happen to anyone.

Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Antimon wrote:
I would like to apologise for the (unintentional) horrible shriek of feedback at the end of my second piece. I feel pretty bad about this, especially since there were probably several listeners using headphones - that stuff can damage your ears.

I had you on head phones, my ears survived Wink (it was not that loud really, probably clipped before being transmitted) ... anyway these things can happen, its live, its improvised, the studio is the instrument ... don't feel too bad about out .. could happen to anyone.

OK, thanks for being understanding. Smile I ran it through a compressor, which maybe softened it a little bit. At any rate I'm going to try to not repeat the mistake.

/Stefan

shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: streaming video Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, just wanted to say THANKYOU to doomtube for 12 hours of really cool video streaming! i couldnt watch it all the time, but i enjoyed everything that i did catch. Surprised

Great Job! It added a whole other element which was cool!

Look forward to more experiments in the future Phil!!!

shane

Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: streaming video Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
Also, just wanted to say THANKYOU to doomtube for 12 hours of really cool video streaming!

Yes! That video stream was way cool - a great addition to the event. salut

/Stefan

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I also had some significant technical issues and didn't realize that my audio wasn't properly patched until I was almost done with the show.
So what was heard in the stream was about 25% of the actual mix.
I am making a studio version of my set and will post it at some point.

Thanks for listening.
Jason
The Amber Portal
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:
Yes I also had some significant technical issues and didn't realize that my audio wasn't properly patched until I was almost done with the show.

The Amber Portal

I'm just laughing along with you.

One thing that happened was that the left channel on one of my Aux sends wasn't working -- probably a glitchy patch cord. I didn't catch it because I wasn't wearing headphones in my studio (harder to move around while wearing headphones -- I was standing for the entire set). So another thing on the checklist: check the mix with headphones.

There were some places where I lost stereo separation, too. Not sure why. I need to examine some signal paths. Again, on headphones I would have "caught" this stuff.

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
Jason wrote:

The Amber Portal

I'm just laughing along with you.

One thing that happened was that the left channel on one of my Aux sends wasn't working -- probably a glitchy patch cord. I didn't catch it because I wasn't wearing headphones in my studio (harder to move around while wearing headphones -- I was standing for the entire set). So another thing on the checklist: check the mix with headphones.

There were some places where I lost stereo separation, too. Not sure why. I need to examine some signal paths. Again, on headphones I would have "caught" this stuff.

kkissinger, Exactly, on top of not having the proper patching, my auxes also kept going out in addition to some other cables!... OH MY!
yes I can laugh now , but I have got to get myself some new cables made! Also kkissinger, thank you for being so flexible re: time.

Best,
Jason
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehe, hardware problems, cable problems. I had a funny little software problem. Jan commented that everytime I typed in the chatroom, the music glitched! Apparently the keyboard monitor in the ChucK patch was going nuts watching me type all these characters that did nothing. So I had to go almost silent in the chatroom for the rest of my set. I have since fixed the problem by removing the keyboard interface. It was funny though!
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My mixer's automation has a mind of its own, uncommanded fader moves were happening throughout my set. It was really annoying, because they were so abrupt. I've got to sort this thing out or get something else...

Home,My Studio,and another view
Ganzha

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: about streaming
Subject description: I have my streming captured
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I have my streaming captred and I did convert filesw into mp3 If somebody likes to listen I can send it!

shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
My mixer's automation has a mind of its own, uncommanded fader moves were happening throughout my set. It was really annoying, because they were so abrupt. I've got to sort this thing out or get something else...

Talk about putting the random and chance elelments into your music...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: about streaming
Subject description: I have my streming captured
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ganzha wrote:
Hi!

I have my streaming captred and I did convert filesw into mp3 If somebody likes to listen I can send it!

How big is the file Ganzha, in MB I mean?

Ganzha

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: A size Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

the size around 10-12 MB bitrate - 256

Page 4 of 5 [103 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: