electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Roll your own filter
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Roll your own filter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one is to revive the 'roll your own filter' thread a bit. It is a pretty classic sounding 24 dB filter with a fader between lowpass and bandpass response. It is very stable, due to some diy bandlimiting on the right places within the filter signal paths.

The bp mode has a lp slope of 18dB, as the lp slope is more significant than the hp slope, which is much less steep.

Cutoff, resonance and lp-bp balance are modulatable by adding some extra control mixers.

The signal drop behaviour of 12dB at higher resonance that 24dB filters exhibit is corrected for, also the signal drop when fading to bp mode.

As this is an 'experimental' patch I didn't program specific variations, just var 1 and 2 to get an idea of what the filter does.

VeryClassic.pch2
 Description:
Example of a classic 24 dB filter with a modulatable lowpass bandpass response.

Download
 Filename:  VeryClassic.pch2
 Filesize:  2.82 KB
 Downloaded:  1919 Time(s)

modular

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 72

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot Rob!

Your Filters setup allow a wide range to possible changements.

Is very flexible and useful.

It has stimulating me to try add other two OSC to give more rich sound.

Also I've added in FX Area (where I postponed the chorus in VA before) the combi modules for spatializing the second Output (Dry Out is in VA area),
and a WahWah switchable used in var 1-3-6

I filled all the 8 variations but didn't assigned table parameters yet.

Hope you like it profileright profileleft

VeryClassic 3Osc.pch2
 Description:
Same as VeryClassic but with 3 OSC and more add-ons on FX Area

Download
 Filename:  VeryClassic 3Osc.pch2
 Filesize:  4.38 KB
 Downloaded:  1780 Time(s)

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK! thumleft
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is a lovely, very musical filter, Rob! My favourite so far on the G2.

But somehow it doesn't sound like a 4pole filter -not steep enough. I wonder why this is so. Is there any modification you could recommend (or add) to make the slope steeper?

Anyway... can we have more of such "classic" sounding filters, please please please bounce

(Plus: any explanations as to what makes it sound "classic" would be most instructive and welcome too!)
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:

But somehow it doesn't sound like a 4pole filter -not steep enough. I wonder why this is so. Is there any modification you could recommend (or add) to make the slope steeper?

When starting to mess with the poles the filter will sound slightly less cornered. The advantage tyhat I like is that the resonance sweeps smoother. It sall a matter of taste I guess.

To get things steeper use more poles.
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I rolled another one. Its a bit a special case, as this 24dB filter has two inputs. One input (the regular one) makes the filter work like a standard 24dB lowpass. The other input inserts a signal into the filter at a spot where it makes the filter appear to be a 24dB highpass filter.

As the two inputs work at the same time this filter acts as a 'spectral crossfader'; it takes the low frequencies of the first input and the high frequencies of the second input. Sweeping the filter between its extremes will crossfade between the two inputs, sweeping one signal in from the low while sweeping the other signal away into the very high.

There is also a knob that will change both inputs into bandpass inputs where the filter does the same for both inputs.

It is great fun to use this filter to mix two different drummachines that are synced together. Creates all sorts of new rhythms like the kick and snare from one machine and the cymbals from the other.

But the attached patch is a simple keyboard patch where two oscillators go into the two inputs. There is a knob that enables to swap the inputs.

Simply copy the filter from the patch into your own patches for experimenting.

I guess an explanation on how it works would take a little space. Will do that at some later time. All knobs are carefully tuned, not much use to change controls that are not already assigned to a knob.

DualInputFilter.pch2
 Description:
A 24dB filter that has two inputs, a lowpass input and a highpass input.

Download
 Filename:  DualInputFilter.pch2
 Filesize:  4.7 KB
 Downloaded:  1800 Time(s)

modular

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 72

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent!

BRAVO! thumleft well done thumb up
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds soooo good. I look forward to your explaination of how it works at a latter date.

In the meantime, this demo patch with the two oscillators is one of my favorite clav patches... Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Jump to: