electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
Trade: My music gear for your Multimeter
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
3vcos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Trade: My music gear for your Multimeter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If anyone has a good multimeter they can spare please contact me. I can trade some modular gear, or other music gear (analog synths) for a nice Fluke or other digital multimeter. Thanks!
meloditech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject:  Re: Multimeters Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sears /Craftsman has a nice handheld thats pretty accurate for just over 100 dollars-I've compared this(taking into account the digits of precision of course ) with a top of the line Agilent lab meter at work.Pretty good correlation.
Unless you're doing something that needs 3 or 4 digits past the decimal point something like this should suit you...Is it for on the road/general electronic servicing/circuit building?

John 3:16
3vcos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Multimeters Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

which sears meter is this? They have a fluke that seems nice...

I'll be using it for troubleshooting synths/building circuits/etc

meloditech wrote:
Sears /Craftsman has a nice handheld thats pretty accurate for just over 100 dollars-I've compared this(taking into account the digits of precision of course ) with a top of the line Agilent lab meter at work.Pretty good correlation.
Unless you're doing something that needs 3 or 4 digits past the decimal point something like this should suit you...Is it for on the road/general electronic servicing/circuit building?
meloditech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject:  Re: Meters Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Craftsman Professional 81079
True RMS Multimeter with non-contact infrared thermometer
capacitance,frequency and the usual volts,amps/milliamps/microamps
and resistance. I'm happy with it.
Although if you could get your paws on a healthy Fluke 45 Wink

3vcos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Meters Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any other benchtop meters to look out for besides the 45?
I'm off to look at (new and used) meters on Saturday...

Thanks very much!

And I also still have many analog synths (and other music gear) to trade for a nice meter if anyone is reading...

meloditech wrote:
Craftsman Professional 81079
True RMS Multimeter with non-contact infrared thermometer
capacitance,frequency and the usual volts,amps/milliamps/microamps
and resistance. I'm happy with it.
Although if you could get your paws on a healthy Fluke 45 Wink
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey tim, i just got a fluke 85-III off craigslist for $60.. not too shabby! i can't tell any difference between it and the 87s we have at work. anyway, good luck

josh
3vcos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks very much guys. I picked up a Wavetek 27 for $20. They had some Flukes for $20 as well but they didn't power on and looked beat to hell.

Also picked up a nice Hakko desoldering gun, and some air filters. Not bad for $40 total. Smile
meloditech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Meters Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats a good meter.
Be aware however that it is not a true rms meter.
This will not affect you for 98% of your endeavours.
Here is a link to info that explains where it may yield errors in certain measurements.

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5988-6916EN.pdf

Most folks back up critical DMM readings with a scope
reading so again this will not be a prob 98% of the time.

3vcos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Meters Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a quick read. Thanks for posting this Meloditech.
Seems like RMS really only comes into play with AC signals. Everything going on in my modular is DC (as far as I know) except the power supply.
Let me know if I'm right on this...I may be way off... Smile

meloditech wrote:
Thats a good meter.
Be aware however that it is not a true rms meter.
This will not affect you for 98% of your endeavours.
Here is a link to info that explains where it may yield errors in certain measurements.

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5988-6916EN.pdf

Most folks back up critical DMM readings with a scope
reading so again this will not be a prob 98% of the time.
meloditech

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Meters Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well your audio signals and oscillator signal outs are ac of one kind or another but most folks use a scope if they need to troubleshoot that.
for example The true rms helps increase the accuracy incase you dont have a a scope
and are trying to do matching of channel amplitudes for some critical audio work ...the true rms helps take care of errors introduced by harmonics in your test source. For 98% of the jobs you'll do you wont have a problem. Just wanted to share info on this should you have really needed the feature.BTW If you really need to you can approximate true rms using a dc,then an ac measurement and running them thru some formulas:there are some links on the web from the fluke apps library.

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
Jump to: