electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Solina or Onmi ensemble board?
Page 14 of 16 [394 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next

If I'd make a string chorus PCB, what kind of multi-BBD circuit would you prefer?
Solina style (also: Crumar Performer, Böhm Phasing Rotor, and others)
62%
 62%  [ 28 ]
ARP Omni style
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Elka Synthex 4 BBD circuit
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
other (please name in thread)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
I would want neither - it's old fashioned and overused, and if I need it, there are digital FX boxes
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 45

numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I missed out on this and would love to have one as well. Actually I saw something on bridechamber just last night that this project would be available there sometime in October. That would be amazing.
krisp14u

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
I missed out on this and would love to have one as well. Actually I saw something on bridechamber just last night that this project would be available there sometime in October. That would be amazing.

I think that’s just the front panel

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
numbertalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn. I emailed Scott asking him about this but no response yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi numbertalk,

Some news from Scott ? I have some TDA waiting for a board !
numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did. He is unfortunately only planning to carry panels.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sad news.. Perhaps if more DIYers show their interest, we could expect a new batch ?
numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unless those BBD chips are more readily available in Europe and someone is willing to do a parts kit it will be of limited good to U.S. builders unfortunately it seems.
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

211 wrote:
Sad news.. Perhaps if more DIYers show their interest, we could expect a new batch ?

Triple Chorus PCBs ?

Certainly! If there are enough binding pre-orders, I'll make a re-run.
I even started a list of people who are interested.

So if you are interested, please send me an email (no PM, no forum message - an email!) expressing your interest in [number of] boards and I'll add you to that list.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
numbernone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fired up the Solina for the first time tonight, it sounds like it will be a killer when its dialed in. However mine is bellowing out a warbly high pitch from the main out. I only have it strung up for testing, so I will begin poking around now, but any pointers on where I might look are appreciated.

I should add that it is running from my 15v supply rather than onboard power.
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
Fired up the Solina for the first time tonight, it sounds like it will be a killer when its dialed in. However mine is bellowing out a warbly high pitch from the main out. I only have it strung up for testing, so I will begin poking around now, but any pointers on where I might look are appreciated.

I should add that it is running from my 15v supply rather than onboard power.

Did you substitute any opamp type?

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
numbernone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All opamps are as specified on the silkscreen. A single 71, pair 0f 72s, and a half dozen 1458s, I had initially used the pair of switches illustrated on the wiring .pdf, then switched to a rotary. No difference. The EQ is working but seems to have no effect on this high pitch oscillation.
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
All opamps are as specified on the silkscreen. A single 71, pair 0f 72s, and a half dozen 1458s, I had initially used the pair of switches illustrated on the wiring .pdf, then switched to a rotary. No difference. The EQ is working but seems to have no effect on this high pitch oscillation.

Where in the signal chain is that oscillation generated?

JH.

numbernone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be completely honest I have no idea. To my ears it seems late in the path, since the EQ has no noticeable effect. I am not exactly sure where to look. I will try swapping out some amps tonite if I have the time. I would also add that my amazing arsenal of test equipment includes my ears and a nice Fluke meter.

As it stands, at power up, at the main out (the only one I have wired thus far, will examine the individual ones soon) a high pitch is emitted. The pitch wobbles a bit, and is omnipresent, regardless of input. Inputted signal passes thru the chorus and whooshes like crazy (sounds great!)

Thanks for the assitance Juergen, I imagine its a small error someplace. I wanna get this one straightened out before I give in to my desire to wire up the Compact A and Tau.
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
To be completely honest I have no idea. To my ears it seems

No, you have to go thru the signal path from opamp output to opamp output, and measure the signal there, without an input signal applied.

Quote:
I would also add that my amazing arsenal of test equipment includes my ears and a nice Fluke meter.

A scope would be good. Alternatively, a probe with an audio amp, and your ears. But a scope would be *really* good.

JH.

numbernone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds great, I will trace the path tonight. What are the optimal output levels I should be hoping to find?
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
Sounds great, I will trace the path tonight. What are the optimal output levels I should be hoping to find?

Zero - with no input signal applied!
Just search along the signal path where the oscillation comes from.

JH.

numbernone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HEADSLAP!!!

Serious thanks for suffering the fools like me Juergen.

I now remember I cut up some headphones ages ago and made a signal tracer from them. Time to hunt them down, and I will report back with what I find.

update:
OK high pitch oscillation is coming from pin 7 of U7-8-9B. All the surrounding component values appear to be correct, as is continuity from pad to pad. However the funny thing is probing the individual outs gives me the squeal at only 1 and 2, NO signal at all at output 3.
Swapped a few 1458s, all to the same effect, But now we are getting someplace! Cant wait to kill that bugg cuz this thing sounds amazing
numbernone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I spent some quality time probing around the Solina, to no immediate gains. I see that U7/8 are spec'ed on the schematic as TL082 and 072 on the silkscreen. Amazingly I had no spare 082s (havent made a parts order in a long time) to test against. Could this have any effect?
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:

OK high pitch oscillation is coming from pin 7 of U7-8-9B. All the surrounding component values appear to be correct, as is continuity from pad to pad. However the funny thing is probing the individual outs gives me the squeal at only 1 and 2, NO signal at all at output 3.
Swapped a few 1458s, all to the same effect, But now we are getting someplace! Cant wait to kill that bugg cuz this thing sounds amazing

That squeal obviously comes from the modulation circuit then. I suspect it's from U7B, as U8B and U9B come "after" U7B.
Hart to tell what could cause something like that, though.
(TL082 vs. TL072 makes no difference here.)

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: 2nd batch, maybe Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-32720.html

JH.

numbernone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man oh man I think I have lost 99% of my mind trying to get this thing straightened out. Output 3 was merely a cold joint, thats fine now. In hopes that a similar situation was jinxing the modulators, I reflowed every joint in that area. Unfortunately no such luck!

ANYONE with a clue as what might be making the horrid banshee squeal in the modulators, feel free to pipe in. I have tried several batches of 072s to no effect. I might just rebuild the entire modulator section, but it seems like overkill at the moment, tomorrow maybe not!
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
Man oh man I think I have lost 99% of my mind trying to get this thing straightened out. Output 3 was merely a cold joint, thats fine now. In hopes that a similar situation was jinxing the modulators, I reflowed every joint in that area. Unfortunately no such luck!

And yet a similar thing is likely to be the culprit. Something you'll be surprised, once you've found it, and what neither you, nor me, from afar, would have predicted ...

JH.

numbertalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi JH,

Could you offer any advice on calibrating the 2 speed trimmers for the Solina sound (especially if we don't have a Solina to compare to) - either by ear and/or roughly how far up (i.e. both 1/2 way up, etc...)? Sounds like they don't have a wide range but I saw where someone mentioned here that it takes careful setting of these 2 trimmers along with the waveform trimmer to get the Solina sound. (I see on one of the audio samples on your site you give a tip on how to get the waveform set correctly).

Thanks!
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
Hi JH,

Could you offer any advice on calibrating the 2 speed trimmers for the Solina sound (especially if we don't have a Solina to compare to) - either by ear and/or roughly how far up (i.e. both 1/2 way up, etc...)? Sounds like they don't have a wide range but I saw where someone mentioned here that it takes careful setting of these 2 trimmers along with the waveform trimmer to get the Solina sound. (I see on one of the audio samples on your site you give a tip on how to get the waveform set correctly).

Thanks!

Start with 1/2 and fine adjust by ear.

JH.

numbertalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jürgen!

jhaible wrote:
numbertalk wrote:
Hi JH,

Thanks!

Start with 1/2 and fine adjust by ear.

JH.
Page 14 of 16 [394 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: