electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Programmers wanted!
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Programmers wanted! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have radio.electro-music.com running 24/7, but we need programs. If you would like to do a program, let us know by posting here. We will start off with single programs, but the possibility exists for regular weekly or monthly programs. We just need some sort of scheduling system, but that's another topic.

We will be working out the details on how to do all this as we go along. Internet radio is fun. Join in.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mystahr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't mind simulcasting my saturdaymorning NTNS radio show if you don't mind

http://ntnsradio.wordpress.com/

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I don't mind it you don't. Laughing

What's the schedule?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard
do you mean submitting music for the radio or "programs" like a speaker announcing music and all that?
I think we could have both alternating real radio programs to simple song lists going on to fill up the 24/7 schedule.
How about that?

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I don't suppose my music generator software is interesting enough for a repeating show, but I could do one show with it. Just give me a little time to make some enhancements that I've thought of recently, and I'll be good to go Howard.
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Howard!
Count me in on a program! I would love to do a weekly or monthly live stream set! 30 or 60 min is good...but i can fill an hour.

Weekend would probably be best for me for a single or weekly show...whenever you are ready.

thanks! compress
shane

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I were to do an hour radio show each week, aside from our own music which of course there would be a limited supply, what else would I be allowed to broadcast? Could I, for example, feature artists that I like to play? I know for one thing, I do have a LARGE library of music I have collected at the past couple of EM festivals that are part of hte EM community and could play some of that and comment on my favorites.

I even have some Xeriod Entity CD's !! Wink

Bill
mystahr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
No, I don't mind it you don't. Laughing

What's the schedule?

Saturdays....
2:00 am Chicago-México
3:00 am New York
5:00 am Brasilia
6:00 am Buenos Aires
8:00 am London-Lisbon
9:00 am Amsterdam-Madrid-Paris,
11:00 am Moscow
4:00 pm Beijin
5:00 pm Tokio
7:00 pm Camberra

Ofcourse we can always schedule a different time since every show is podcasted and thus re-playable

Fyi; I only play Creative Commons licensed music, and focus on experimental electronica. Shane has listened in a few times now and can probably tell it would work on your stream too

PS: I shall ask the Stillstream host if he is fine with this simulcast too

Last edited by mystahr on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
mystahr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
I were to do an hour radio show each week, aside from our own music which of course there would be a limited supply, what else would I be allowed to broadcast?

Having done internet radio two years now I can answer that with a simple; 'you can really only play Creative Commons licensed music or open source audio (and I rarely touch the open source for I'm just not too sure about it)'

If you think that will limit you, then I suggest to look around at the hundreds, or moreso even thousands of netlabels out there (and growing every week) that release full albums under this license. Which implies that the music is copyrighted but may be distributed for free; and that includes playing it on internet radio.

You do not want to play music that is licensed by Major labels for that would quickly entail for this radio-station to have to pay license fees and that would mean absurd amounts that these majors calculate.

As with the commercial music; there's a load of garbage out there, but also a huge amount of high quality music by musicians like us that don't care about making a buck but want their music shared for free.

Creative Commons has made that possible.

As a side note to share how I work.
Every week I download new releases and end up with usually 25+ new releases in the experimental field. Through time I've learned where I can find the new releases, but there isn't really one source for this. All over the world there are little 'communities' like this one that have their own group of artists and netlabels. I discover new ones every week and to date am still baffled by the sheer amount of it all.

Hope this helps a bit

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
As a side note to share how I work.
Every week I download new releases and end up with usually 25+ new releases in the experimental field. Through time I've learned where I can find the new releases, but there isn't really one source for this. All over the world there are little 'communities' like this one that have their own group of artists and netlabels. I discover new ones every week and to date am still baffled by the sheer amount of it all.

Mosc,

This helps very much and now I can proceed with some planning.

OK then. let me see how I will approach things. This may be a fun thing too look forward to doing each, or every other, week Cool

Thanks much !
Bill
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for all of the volunteers, so far.

I will let all this sink in an come up with some sort of scheduling system.

Mystahr has stated things well. We want to be sure we only broadcast stuff we have rights for. So, I'd think we wouldn't play any CDs. So far, we have only streamed stuff that is posted here on the forum, or live performances by members. I think Mystahr's passion for digging up new music as splendid, and he is taking all the appropriate persuasions. I have listened to some of his podcasts, they are good.

These programs don't need to be more than 15 minutes to 2 or 3 hours. Most of us rarely play out. Nothing makes ones music better than regular performances. We should all play music, either live or recorded for our friends. Our streaming radio is very sociable. So a weekly or bi-weekly "music from my studio" type thing would be good for everyone.

Arggg. How to organize all this?????

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Arggg. How to organize all this?????

We'd need a couple of stream operators ... Smile

kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: I can participate Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds like a great idea. Count me in!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm looking at Google calendar as maybe a mechanism we can use to create and update the schedule. It should allow different people to make changes. Maybe these should be the stream operators.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I'd think we wouldn't play any CDs

what about those that are on sale at the electro-music store?
after you ask permission to the composers you should be OK and that could promote sales (maybe)

Idea

Quote:
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The term "stream operator" just sounds so sci-fi to me. It's like... from The Matrix or something...
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mosc,

While your working out some of those details, I have been thinking about sort of a show that has a common thread to all the music.

Since I have been moderating the the DIY electronics groups on the forum where lots of dudes are "rolling their own" electronics instruments and writing code to make a micro controller "squeal like a pig" , I think a show entitled "THE SOLDERING MUSICIAN" would be very appropriate.

At least one "instrument" in the material for the show would have to use at least one piece of hardware/software (Klee sequencer for example or TH MPS Drum Module, or UD1, etc ....) that was built or created by the artist. Even that fancy new software "plug-in" could be used. Cool You get the gist Wink

Submissions for the "THE SOLDERING MUSICIAN" show can be mailed to me at the following address:

bill@smsaudioelectronics.com

Include your name, where your from, and a brief description of the piece and I will include it in the show.

Why do this you ask? To promote the fact that there are still many people across the globe that sit in their studios/labs, build hardware, then clear the smoke from their irons, and play music from the very circuits they create. I call them "modern day Raymond Scott types". Also, With the advent of very cheap, high performance, digital controllers, now a proliferation of cheap hardware can be coded to make wonderful sounds without blowing the budget. Not only do you have guys soldering, but also lots of "mad" coders out there adding to the mix, creating some great sound generators and musical controllers.

If anyone thinks this would be good to do, I will post a message similar to this in the DIY hardware group .... a CALL for music material.

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The term "stream operator" just sounds so sci-fi to me. It's like... from The Matrix or something...

Laughing Now all you need are bright lights, a big sheer curtain, and large levers to move back and forth .............

Laughing
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
"THE SOLDERING MUSICIAN"

Cool, I love that!

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:

stream jockey?

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Inventor wrote:

stream jockey?

I like "stream operator", sounds like some cybernetic robocop who's job is to police the intergalactic transwarp superhighway or something. As in the movie line: "Man, you better not do that, the stream operator will hear you."

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
"Man, you better not do that, the stream operator will hear you."

Oh she probably would Wink

shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like Stream Operators ... and sci-fi Shocked

I also want to be a part of the arrow StreamTeam well done

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
I like Stream Operators ... and sci-fi Shocked

I also want to be a part of the arrow StreamTeam well done

Me too! Make me a stream operator, Howard!?!

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:

Me too! Make me a stream operator, Howard!?!

Les, do you remember this old song?

Quote:
Diamond life, lover boy.
We move in space with minimum waste and maximum joy.
City lights and business nights.
When you require streetcar desire for higher heights.

No place for beginners or sensitive hearts
When sentiment is left to chance.
No place to be ending but somewhere to start.

No need to ask.
He's a stream operator,
stream operator,
stream operator,
stream operator.

Coast to coast, LA to Chicago, western male.
Across the north and south, to Key Largo, love for sale.

Face to face, each classic case.
We shadow box and double cross,
Yet need the chase.

A license to love, insurance to hold.
Melts all your memories and change into gold.
His eyes are like angels but his heart is cold.

No need to ask.
He's a stream operator,
stream operator,
stream operator,
stream operator.

Coast to coast, LA to Chicago, western male.
Across the north and south, to Key Largo, love for sale.

stream operator,
stream operator,
stream operator,
stream operator,
stream operator...

Quote:
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic