electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Another HW Sequencer - P3
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Another HW Sequencer - P3 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

About to pull the trigger and get a P3 sequencer - http://www.colinfraser.com/p3/p3.htm

I've never used a hardware sequencer, but have wanted one for a very long time. Going after the ready-built version since I have no experience in electronics work. Seems to be a pretty good deal for £444 UK (PLED display version) .

Not exactly sure what's involved to integrate a hardware sequencer into my setup. Should be interesting! Smile

Anyone else looked into the P3?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awww.. not really.. but I have browsed the page. The P3 looks very smart and capable. I love sequencers like this one. very useful. Reminds me.. what IS your setup? Question Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey this is a pure midi box.. great.. and it has the DIN sync.

I haven´t really used this style of seqencer.. only the old CV/gate breed.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The P3 in a rack with the Novation K-Station synth is probably a great tool! get some wooden sides for it though..

Very Happy
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The P3 in a rack with the Novation K-Station synth is probably a great tool! get some wooden sides for it though..

Yes that would be nice. Very Happy

The ready-built version is actually a tabletop format. I've attached (see at the bottom of this message) a picture of the one Paul Nagle owns.

Paul is the one who turned me onto the P3. He has some demo sequences he created with the P3 here -
http://www.bogusfocus.com/mp3/

Quote:
Reminds me.. what IS your setup?

Oh.... it is a bunch of synths hooked up to a PC with an 8x8 midi interface and some additional 8-to-1 midi mergers. Mostly VA synths and a few vintage modules. Two 01V mixers, and some outboard gear.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
More info on the studio setup is available - here.

I'm not too sure what the best way will be to route the midi data to the various synths. Probably best to use something on the PC to do the routing.

Another angle on Paul N's.jpg
 Description:
Tabletop version of P3 sequencer.
 Filesize:  19.39 KB
 Viewed:  14056 Time(s)

Another angle on Paul N's.jpg

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow what a wild bunch of great gear!

Hmm... midi routing.. hehe.. I know nothing about midi stuff. I just make whatever work.. CV/gate is kinda more my thing. perhaps Carlo has some midi insight?

Depends on how you will use the sequencer.. you going ofr some oldstyle european sequencer work? Then you will probaly be better off dedicating part of the rig for the P3.. like if you had had a few modulars and an old analog sequencer. Stepfiltering is often just as important as the stepnote playing.
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, old-style classic sequences.... and maybe some more modern approaches also.

I know I will want to use the P3 with the Virus b, Evolver, Nord Rack 2, MKS-7, Mks..... well.... probably most of the synths. LOL!

I've never worked with CV/Gate interfaces. Maybe the P3 will allow for a midi version of that setup? Well, should be fun anyway.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An interesting product is that seemingly dead Modularing 3. http://www.milprod.com

Hmm.. i am really interested in what you think of that P3. i found those Paul nagel files. He likes the unit??

Personally I would love a modern sequencer that is a modern take on the old stuff. that migt probably make it easier to perform some of my old material but .. well.. thinking aout doing this in midi makes my brain go "ker-plooof". instead i sit here writing the score into Cubase. Lucky thing I have some of those stepmaps for when I did many of the songs using the digital MSQ 100s CV/gate sequencers. Hmm.. I need rehabilition and possibly medication. I really have to get into midi. I guess it is far too technical for me.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Midi is not difficult at all, and is extremely convenient if you have multiple controllers (keyboards, sequencers) that you want to control multiple synths.
Also in a performance you can use it to set up all the devices quickly.
Personally I don't use it for recording, but if you like to fuss with things after the fact (moving notes around, transposing and mapping melodic lines to different instruments), then you have lots of control.

I've always looked for good midi sequencers that incorporate the real time tweakability of the old analog step sequencers. The Notron is a good one.
But I think the Nord Modular G2, with midi-out capabilities, will be a very good sequencer. I'm already using the current NM for most of my live sequences, and the G2 is a big improvement.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My guess is that there is no hardware sequencer that can beat an application like Emagic Logic software sequencer. Its Environment page is so powerful it's scary. Very deep stuff: it's MIDI heaven and beyond

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

carlo.. a software sequencer is not the same.. you cannot compare Logic or cubase with oldstyle sequencers. On the other hand.. most vendors started to make CV/gate and midi sequencers which had very bad interfaces.. I have some of those latermodels somewhere.. several in fact. An oldstyle sequencer is in fact an instrument. You use these for melodic / rythmical patterns.. and you can tweak these realtime.. you also use such sequencers for controlling stuff like VCFs and whatnot..

Typical of the DIY kits that started to show up around 1974 had pretty advanced counters/dividers/microsteppers etc. which allowed for like one bank to step another bank for each step. -but also for more advanced stuff- The use of whatever for a clock improved matters too. Most of my songs show modern use of Cubase in order to simulate old gear. For stuff like that you would have a rig set up for each song. Nasty and expensive.

For a nice software sequencer that is dreamed up based on old ideas.. try the Numerology for mac.

A DIY rig of old sequencers would use stuff like footswitced in order to switch banks or whatever. On the other hand.. most vintage use of sequencers.. like what you can hear on like those old TD vinyls is not that advanced really. You could take the same approach a lot farther out there.. which I tried to do myself.

What you do in such a seqeuncer is storing a voltage value you can use again for some silly purpose. think about how you can rig one of those crazy envelope generators with input from a sequencer.. wild eh?

Take a look at that old thread about modules again.. and read how those various devices work.. and think about what you can do when you have all those and some CV/gate sequencers.. .. see?

You can use an analog sequencers to control stereo panning.. feeds to outboard efx etc.. there is no limit to what you can do.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My old song Transmigration uses feeds from 3 synths and 2 reel to reel tape devices into a rig with analog sequencers etc and out comes a rythmical wall of noise. I used custom made CV control pedals for adding a little extra.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
An interesting product is that seemingly dead Modularing 3. http://www.milprod.com

Dead? That is a shame because this is a beautiful looking product. Almost would buy a Mac just for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree.. that Modularing is a wonderful thing! really great! But.. the website has been up and down and people I know down there i .fr country are telling me the vendor is in some sort of trouble. Which is too bad.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The P3 looks very nice. I didn't see anything on the site about the pre-built version. Is it available?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was wrong about Milprod and the Modularing. They are still in business.
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
The P3 looks very nice. I didn't see anything on the site about the pre-built version. Is it available?
The ready-built units are a new venture for the P3. Colin is currently working on the first batch of 4 units (which have all been claimed already). He hand-builds them himself, so it takes a little while. Mine is coming from the first batch.

AFAIK he will be doing a 2nd batch of ready-built units soon after the first set is finished. Smile

The P3 looks to be a really great machine.

egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Be sure to give us a report when you've had a chance to try it!

I was waiting 2 years for the step one from tidal music, the web site seems to have gone away, so I guess it's not happening.

The Zeit looks good, but it's too big (and expensive).
I'll probably end up just using the Nord Modular G2 for step sequencing.
I can program it to do all the real time tweaking I want, including scale quantizing, etc. And it will have midi out to control other devices.
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: