electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DS 7 clone
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 9 of 19 [453 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
autoprod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ojd wrote:
At last I made my dual Coron DS 7! I don't know where you take your piezo triggers (i'd certainly could use a dozen or two!), but i just don't know where to get them. Or its just here in Ukraine they are scarce.

You could see if you can find some musical birthday cards. These often have a piezo-speaker inside (with some surrounding plastic you'll need to peel off). I scored a bunch of good triggers this way.

LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm building a DS7 clone using Uncle Krunkus's stripboard, meaning I'll have two modules on the same board. Rather than having two jack outputs, I think I'd like to sum both modules' outputs into one jack output.

If I add a 47k summing resistor between both 47k level pots and the 1 output jack, will this work? According to the book Handmade Electronic Music, it will, but I thought I'd run it by you guys to make sure...
autoprod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It'll work fine, I'm sure - though it will lower the signal somewhat I presume. What about a 10K pot and 10K summing resistors aka dnny's post here earlier?
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply. So using a 10k pot and a 10k summing resistor won't lower the signal as much? Is it ok to swap the 47k pots for 10k pots even though it does specify 47k pots in the schematic? It won't mess up the circuit or anything?
autoprod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it'll rather be a question of pot-response - but as for the lowered signal - I failed to consider the 10K giving you less resistance towards ground, which might be worse than passing a 47 K on the way out..

Just go with your original plan.

LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to be using a momentary push button on my DS7 rather than a piezo or a jack input. Do I need the trigger sensitivity pot or can I just go from the +9v to the 1M resistor to the switch and then to trig 2 on the stripboard?
henrikgo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would the 9V battery be able to drive a small internal speaker?
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, with a little help from LM386 Smile

http://web.mit.edu/6.s28/www/schematics/lm386.htm

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
henrikgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Pehr! I will look into the LM386.

Another question, if you look at the DS8 manual (http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/2960/manualhb3.jpg) you see that there is an effect switch also that isn't included in the wiring diagram, does anybody know how/where to include that?
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know. Have not seen that before. Perhaps you could ask Marc?

My guess would be something for the LFO, but I'm not sure.

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
intosia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, im planning on building one myself. But i cant find a pcb for one DS8. Can anyone help me with this?
henrikgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check the first post, and you'll find a link to where you can buy some..
intosia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dont want to buy a pcb Razz Well there are pcb in this topic but they are for dual are triple DS7's... I just need one.
henrikgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check the link in the first post, there are single PCBs, schematics etc.
intosia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know the original site, i never found a pcb layout on that site... Shocked Shocked Only Partlist, Schematic and Part placement diagram. Please point me to it.

Edit: ok, i found the part where i can buy the pcb. Damn that is hard to find! Anyway im not gonna pay 20 euros for that. In that case i rather have shot at designing it myself...
henrikgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got my DS8 up and running, but I think the noise volume is to low, what would I have to change to increase the volume?
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, i just got the first of my ds8's wired and running this weekend, cool sounds, i also noticed the output level was a bit low compared to other diy stuff i've done, so im thinking of a pre-amp i can employ, maybe cgs stomp box adapter (reverse one for modular levels) or something similar. I don't know if the original CA3080 can be persuaded to kick out 4 times gain ????? or if a pre-amp would be better.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forgot to ask....
Does anyone know of a simple led trigger indicator circuit i could use on the ds8, the rest of my drum module will flash away but the ds8 has no led indicator provision, and it simply won't look right Laughing
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your level is a bit low because of the .1uF cap at the output of the triangle wave. Remove it and it will "brighten" the sound and will be alot louder.

CGS led driver works fine but I think if you swapped the diode on the output of the envelope follower it will indicate the trigger input.

For the noise output level, look at the amp on on the output of the the noise transistor. You can increase it's gain by bumping the resistor value up.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the advice, going to try that tonight.
Cheers Smile
ninja_slacker

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello, not to sound like a noob (sorry for using that word) but WHAT is the 3u3/16volt capacitor?
because i can only find it as huge screw terminal style or surface mount.
and is the nte996 a good replacment for the ca3080?
Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a 3.3µF aluminum electrolytic. If you can't find 16V, get a 25V or 35V.

here's a mouser part number for a 16V one:
140-XRL16V3.3-RC
ashaxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: stripboard layout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cant seem to find stripboard layotu now can someone point me in the right direction
creekree

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: stripboard layout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ashaxx wrote:
cant seem to find stripboard layotu now can someone point me in the right direction

page two of this very thread - not overly difficult to find, eh?
Ad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Cheers To M Bareille Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished a CA3080 based DS7 a few days back using the info on M Bareille's site. A bug which resulting from my failure to get to grips with the discrepancies between the BOM, schematic and layout on Bareille's site meant I initially had an excellent 808 kick emulator cum speaker wrecking device.

Replacement of the cap which affects the frequency of the VCO - C4 on the schematic - with the specified 1n fixed it pretty quick.

It now sounds just like the original device as used by a drummer friend of mine a few years back. I'm giving him this one as he no longer has the one he had back then.

If you're a drummer and you like Sly Dunbar's late seventies early eighties stuff, you'll love this little box.

Started a double DS7 for myself using a LM13700 as per Uncle Krunkus's strip board layout a couple of days ago. Wow, the potential to screw this up is considerable. Despite careful (and consequently very slow progress) I've just discovered I've got 13 jumpers all one row of holes out.

Sheesh! Time to quit for the night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 9 of 19 [453 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: