electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla 208 Random PCB
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 5 [125 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry, i meant, assuming this 208 pseudo random thing to be driven by a VC-CLOCK (-10v into any vco), if you use the same signal (1V/oct, velocity...) for controlling both clock rate and Portamento/ 218 slew cv input, you have correlation between speed and slew.

sounds are sharper as rythm increases.
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's what i mean (the fx is a little excessive) :

208 218 lfo saw control sample on http://sslstudiodesign.free.fr/218/

A descending ramp (saw lfo) controls both clock rate (wogglebug NE555) and CV IN on 218 slew.
First 208 output is processed trough this latter.

There is four sequences, i've cut control for 218 on the last. (ie all notes are fully slewed even at high clock rate)

I'm sure you could get cool patches with one or two (oncoming) Dunsel circuits here...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
208 outputs have a big big range ; it can be too much if you processed them via reversible attenuator (half curse) or use them for VCO.
I've put two voltage dividers (for 5V or so) on the two first outputs.
The two last are used for buchla (292 cv in, vactrol panner/xfader...)

Thank you for these pcb vtl5c3 Smile
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi FUnky,

What is the Dunsel circuit?

Vtl.5c3
Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TLN-861 Dunsel:
http://www.tellun.com/motm/diy/tln861/TLN-861.html
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can get the positive part of any signal on a socket, and the negative part on another separate output socket Smile (with no 0,7v drop...)
Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Photon wrote:
TLN-861 Dunsel:
http://www.tellun.com/motm/diy/tln861/TLN-861.html

wow, i wish to have such a board,
what's missed is -A +5V,
has anybody n advice how to do this
ahh ok, i think i just have to come with +A instead of -A for the offset block, right ? ( see A+5 schematic top right )
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile

yes !

A-5 = - (-A+5) = -(-A)-5
A+5 = - (-A-5) = -(-A)+5
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
you can get the positive part of any signal on a socket, and the negative part on another separate output socket (with no 0,7v drop...)

What you've just described is an ideal diode circuit. This is an exceedingly useful device for synth circuit design. If anyone hasn't already, be sure to check out Jim Patchell's write-up on it here:

http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs159/diode_tutorial/index.html

I used it to derive the output permutations in the original design of the Appendage. Lately, I've used it as a building block in a design I've been absorbed in.

This is a scope shot of a few outputs of the project. The top triangle wave is one octave below the fundamental - it was derived by means other than an ideal diode. The bottom triangle wave, however, was obtained through the use of ideal diode circuits - it's two octaves above the fundamental. Both waveforms are simultaneous from the same VCO.

Cheerios,
Scott

wave_thing.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  536.82 KB
 Viewed:  646 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

wave_thing.PNG

Tasmanian Alkaloid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Romeo,
i'm planning to build 2 of these, but as i wrote up a parts list, i was unsure what 'FB' stands for (on the parts layout pdf).
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tasmanian Alkaloid wrote:
Hi Romeo,
i'm planning to build 2 of these, but as i wrote up a parts list, i was unsure what 'FB' stands for (on the parts layout pdf).

Ferrite Bead?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep. Ferrite Bead.

numbertalk wrote:
Tasmanian Alkaloid wrote:
Hi Romeo,

Ferrite Bead?
Tasmanian Alkaloid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys!
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Quote:
you can get the positive part of any signal on a socket, and the negative part on another separate output socket (with no 0,7v drop...)

What you've just described is an ideal diode circuit. This is an exceedingly useful device for synth circuit design. If anyone hasn't already, be sure to check out Jim Patchell's write-up on it here:

http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs159/diode_tutorial/index.html

That's it ! IDEAL diode with no voltage drop.

I've build Patchell's too, with a -VBreak pot ; but i can remember outputs need to be buffered for multiple use.
Or maybe my two LED drivers need to be buffered...

The Dunsel module also have a FWR from these two outputs !?
Don't think about its use already...

Very Happy
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What type of capacitors would be appropriate for this circuit? I was planning on just using ceramics throughout as I have a lot of 0.1uF ceramics lying around. That should be fine, shouldn't it?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, ceramics should be fine. They're mostly there for supply decoupling, which ceramics do pretty well. The board has spots for 10uF caps at the supply inputs, but you can probably leave those out.

Romeo

LetterBeacon wrote:
What type of capacitors would be appropriate for this circuit? I was planning on just using ceramics throughout as I have a lot of 0.1uF ceramics lying around. That should be fine, shouldn't it?
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, thanks a lot!
Photon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Finished this recently. The most fun per rack unit in my whole system. thanks Romeo, Scott, and of course Mr. B.
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the photo. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside seeing that!
pcp2020

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I noticed that Scotts schematic wants 15 volts. would this work on 12?
Photon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a quick sample. Nothing fancy. The module is feeding 3 VCO's. Its being clocked by an LFO, the frequency of which is being occasionally goosed by an EG triggered by the Blacet Event Generator.

p.

URV_demo.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  URV_demo.mp3
 Filesize:  1.6 MB
 Downloaded:  1607 Time(s)

davemoog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: 4015 locking up? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone had problems with the 4015 locking up and then no random CVs are produced? Powering off then on again will restart.

Thanks Dave
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have a couple extra boards coming from ExpressPCB... if anyone would like them at cost + postage please drop me a PM with your email address.

thx
bbob

jooks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
have a couple extra boards coming from ExpressPCB... if anyone would like them at cost + postage please drop me a PM with your email address.

PM sent.
valis

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbob wrote:
i have a couple extra boards coming from ExpressPCB... if anyone would like them at cost + postage please drop me a PM with your email address.

thx
bbob

I sent you a PM yesterday..
janvanvolt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also PM sent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 5 [125 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: