electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Streaming Hardware Questions
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Streaming Hardware Questions
Subject description: Unconfuse me please!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Help, I am dazed and confused! I want to create a good streaming setup and I already have most of the pieces in place, but they don't work together very well. I need some elegant, quality, low-cost way to combine my goodies together and also to optimize their quality. OK, to start with here are all the pieces-parts that I have:

o eMac with soundflower audio routing, muse/shoutcast, ChucK, iTunes, Snak IRC client, Firefox, email client, one free USB port, line-in jack and headphones out jack

o netbook running Windows XP with Edcast, ChucK, iTunes, WinAmp, 3 USB ports, line-in jack, headphones out jack, and VGA out to external video monitor (set up as dual screen).

o Fender Squire Stratocaster guitar, switch selectable between factory pickups and experimental string-voltage generator.

o Fender Frontman 15G guitar amp with drive select mode, EQ, RCA aux in connection, and headphones out jack.

o Cable modem

o Wireless G router

o homemade amplifier interface with guitar in, cheap condeser mic, and internally adjustable gain. Outputs guitar on left and mic on right channel and connects to line-in jack of either computer.

o several cables and adapters for hooking up above goodies.

o homemade controller with four scratchy thumbwheel pots, one smooth linear pot, and two toggle switches. Interfaces to ChucK via joystick protocol.

o miniature prototype circuit board with 3-axis accelerometer and USB interface plus room for expansion including a few pots and/or switches.

Whew! That's about all the goodies I have at the moment, well, that and maybe a little cash to buy toys every now and then, but not much. Now, the big problem is that nothing seems to work together properly for streaming. It seems like I can only hook up a little bit of my equipment and software at any given time, and I'd like to run a lot of things simultaneously. Plus I'd like to have it all be easily configurable without having to muck around with software and hardware too much every time I get ready to stream.

The biggest problem is that there is no satisfactory software audio routing on the netbook. I hear there is now Jack for the PC, so I'll have to look into that, does anyone have a link for that? ocp, I think you showed it to me, what was the link?

The second biggest problem is the lack of a quality studio microphone. I'd like to get a good one such as an SM57 or SM58, but then I need a shock-mount, a stand, a mic interface on some device like a mixer or perhaps a mic to USB device and I'm not sure exaclty what will suit my needs.

The third biggest problem is that I'd like for the setup to be as portable as possible so I can do things like stream from Starbucks or travel with my setup.

And then, finally, I lack some means of adjusting levels on the mic and guitar and ChucK software sources.

Those are the main issues although there do appear to be many little annoyances like the controller settings do not initialize, etc. etc. etc.

So, long story short, I'd like to make all of this hardware and software work together properly and stop being so darn annoying! I have all the pieces for a great streaming capability including guitar, mic, and music generated by software - plus two types of washing machines as well, but nothing works together hardly at all. Help! Your suggestions please?

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, here is a photo of my streaming setup. I forgot to mention the old scope which is great for displaying audio waveforms and I neglected to mention that I'm planning to stream with two operators, myself and Caroll, each with a chatroom interface on one of the computers. Man, this is complicated - but fun!

StreamingSetup.jpg
 Description:
My Streaming Setup
 Filesize:  260.43 KB
 Viewed:  371 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

StreamingSetup.jpg

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les
what about trying out a less convoluted setup and see if it works and then, one at the time, add washing machines, dryers, stoves and the likes Question

Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Les
what about trying out a less convoluted setup and see if it works and then, one at the time, add washing machines, dryers, stoves and the likes Question

Wink

Keep It Simple, Stupid! Good idea, I'll try to set up something basic that works.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha, Carlo, the KISS formula seems to have worked! I created the following setup using hardware and software that I already have in place:

Guitar => amplifer box with microphone => netbook line in => ChucK Generator software playing computer generated music => netbook headphones out => eMac line in => ChucK washing machine => soundflower routing software => MuSe/ShoutCast streaming software

Hmm, i can put the headphones (both pairs) on the headphone out jack of the eMac, but I don't yet know if sound will come out when soundflower is working... I'll have to set it up and see! Close though, close!

ocp

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les wrote:
Oh, here is a photo of my streaming setup. I forgot to mention the old scope which is great for displaying audio waveforms and I neglected to mention that I'm planning to stream with two operators, myself and Caroll, each with a chatroom interface on one of the computers. Man, this is complicated - but fun!

That guitar strap is cooooool!
And so is the scope.

Thanks for sharing Wink

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ocp wrote:
Les wrote:

That guitar strap is cooooool!
And so is the scope.

Thanks for sharing Wink

np, ocp. About the strap: it's a European 6-in-1 chainmaille weave of aluminum with a bronze stripe and custom wire fasteners an either end. I accidentally left the cleaner on the metal too long, so now it won't shine but that's even better because instead of shiny it has a really industrial heavy metal look to it. It's heavy for a strap but the extra weight makes it comfy.

About the scope: darn thing hardly triggers anymore and the volts per div setting doesn't work well on low values, so I just set it up to display audio waveforms and use it like a retro curio. Some day I'll install a software scope or get one that works...

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Darn, the setup I mentioned didn't work because it broke up a lot. I ended up going back to my netbook-only setup with a Y cable and no guitar, no microphone. Surely there is a way to do this, I just have to figure it out.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried Jack for windows. It doesn't run after installation. The install said something about downloading some libraries from Microsoft, but I can't find anything about this in the documentation. Now I ain't got Jack! sigh. I'll post about this in windows as a music platform subforum.

I think what I need is a USB mixer but I also want some analog outs... Still searching for a solution that will work for streaming Guitar, Mic, and ChucK on Edcast...

ocp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I think what I need is a USB mixer but I also want some analog outs... Still searching for a solution that will work for streaming Guitar, Mic, and ChucK on Edcast...

You're likely to need a 4 in 4 out USB powered soundcard:

1 in for mic (this implies a mic pre);
1 in for guitar (this implies a Hi Z instrument pre);
2 outs and 2 ins for your ChucK loop (like your mini cable setup);
2 outs for monitoring.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, ocp, that helps to narrow down my requirements. I want a USB souncard or mixer with at least four ins and four outs... check. Trouble is, most of them only have 2 ins and 2 outs. But some have more like these two:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-AUDIOGRAM-6-Computer-Recording-System-105172928-i1423714.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-MM-15USB-Compact-USB-Mixer-500499-i1424621.gc

Actually they are about the same price ($150 US), I like the second one best. What do you think?

ocp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the Nady is more versatile.
Plenty of features (EQ, Aux send with stereo return, USB and digital I/O - enough I/O for your needs) at a nice price and works standalone too.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ocp wrote:
I think the Nady is more versatile.
Plenty of features (EQ, Aux send with stereo return, USB and digital I/O - enough I/O for your needs) at a nice price and works standalone too.

The Nady it is then! I'm going to wait a few weeks for financial reasons and savor it, letting it's features percolate in my mind as I make my purchasing decision, haha! Time was I would not think twice about a $150 purchase, but times have changed for me, eh? I'm gonna love this thingie when I get it home Smile Razz

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: