electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Trying to route RingMod so I can hear it only but hearing no
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rokuez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Trying to route RingMod so I can hear it only but hearing no Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished reading the user manual. Haven't gotten to the tips and tricks pdf yet.

I wanted to try routing the ring mod so that I could hear the filtered and unfiltered ring mod simultaneously (or just the filter & then the unfiltered) as described on page 188 (RING MOD signal routing)

I've followed all the steps described in that section, and I'm not hearing anything.

I have osc 1, 2 completely silent, pre/post filter ring mod knob turned up, post filter ring mod led off, pre filter ring mod led on being modulated by env 1 but i'm hearing nothing.

I've tried it with filter bypass led on/off, pre filter ring mod led on/off not sure what i'm doing wrong.

sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try in steps:
1 default patch
2 osc off , ringmod turned on in prefiltermixerknob
make sure filters are open/bypassed.
you should now hear the ( filtered) ringmod sound
( if you don't hear anything make sure the filters and vca are on , try the same path with a noise or so to get sound)
3turn the prefiltermixer ringmod down and turn the (prefilter)pot on the postfiltermixer up. make sure it's switched to ringmod.
now you should hear the ( unfiltered) ringmod sound.
4 combine the two sounds of 2 + 3
5 start adding modulation on several parts and /or filter the firstpart etc

a bit simplistic maybe in explaining, point is to build it up rather then putting down a complete receipy and then test if it works.
succes, it should work this way
kpatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have any waveforms selected on the oscillators?

Both oscillators need at least 1 waveform selected in order to give the ring modulator something to... uh, modulate. Smile

You'd mute the oscillators directly at the pre-filter mix by turning their levels all the way down to get just the ring mod.
rokuez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you very much for those instructions sunny pedaal now i'm hearing some noise. But I still don't understand precisely what I'm hearing.

Is it simply the sound of the oscillator being ring modulated, as compared to Oscillator sound + oscillator sound being ring modulated?

kpatz wrote:
Do you have any waveforms selected on the oscillators?

no nothing on the oscillators, they are making no noise all wave parameters are set to off

kpatz wrote:
Both oscillators need at least 1 waveform selected in order to give the ring modulator something to... uh, modulate. Smile

i seriously assumed that ring mod was a oscillator of some sort that modulates but specifically makes a ringing type of sound.

I'm guessing now that it is a source that modulates a destination and that modulated destination will produce a more ringing sound?

kpatz wrote:
You'd mute the oscillators directly at the pre-filter mix by turning their levels all the way down to get just the ring mod.

what exactly am I hearing it is not the ring modulator per say because that makes no noise by itself?

So is it just the oscillator(s) being modulated by the ring mod and that sound only i.e no filtering from the filters?

As compared to Oscillator(s) + Sound of Oscillator being ring modulated?

Really digging the A6 I feel like i have so much control. i can see why some people complain about it because it may not give instant satisfaction just because there are so many parameters and modulations. I just really dig the control I have over whatever sound i'm creating. after i make a few more patches going to start the tip and tricks pdf, a6 user community rulez

kpatz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_modulator

The ring modulator takes the two oscillator's signals and essentially multiplies them together. The net effect is similar to amplitude modulation.

Because of this, both oscillators have to have at least one waveform selected in order for the RM to work, since with multiplication, zero on either input = zero on the output.

It's called a "ring" modulator because of the "ring" of diodes that the old analog circuits used. It has nothing to do with a ringing sound, though they are often used for bell-like timbres since it brings out the harmonics in the sound.

The ring modulator level on the pre-filter mix, and the post-filter mix is just the output of the ring modulator. If you want to hear the oscillators straight AND the ring modulation together, turn up the appropriate levels in the pre-filter mix. The ring mod level in the post-filter mix sends the ring mod's output past the filters, while the pre-filter mix sends it through the filters.
wildbill

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_modulator

'...Thus, in the basic case where two sine waves of frequencies f1 and f2 (f1 < f2) are multiplied, two new sine waves are created, with one at f1 + f2 and the other at f2 − f1. The two new waves are unlikely to be harmonically related and (in a well designed ring modulator) the original signals are not present. It is this that gives the ring modulator its unique tones.

Intermodulation products can be generated by carefully selecting and changing the frequency of the two input waveforms...'

^^^^^^^ This is what I remember being taught - that what you'll get are the sum and difference of the input frequencies.

So, if you input osc 1 at 150hz and osc 2 at 200 hz, what you'll hear is a tone containing 350hz (sum), and 50hz (difference), which won't sound much like the original signals.
The audio examples in the link give a good idea of what to listen for. It also helps to change one of the frequencies over time, either manually with the knob, or with an lfo/envelope or whatever to hear what's actually happening.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: