electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Getting Involved
Page 1 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Getting Involved Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Les,

How do people go about getting involved with all this, it sounds fun.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Getting Involved Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
it sounds fun.

oh ya Exclamation Cool

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Getting Involved Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Hi Les,

How do people go about getting involved with all this, it sounds fun.

Hi Andy,

Well, there are lots of ways. From a software perspective, you could either test the ChucK code for the "Matt Belamy of Muse" Fuzz program with your guitar or try your hand at the EChucK dsPIC programming.

From a hardware perspective, I've got boards that I can mail out for free that have a little power supply and four dsPIC modules plus several tiny support mini-boards. I could cut up one of those and you could populate it.

Then we need someone who can program the dsPIC chips as I have no programmer.

Or you could prototype some Lunetta-style circuits of your own and make your own EChucK sculpture and share your work with us. If you did that then you could make an Eagle CAD layout or mini-stripboard layout of your work and share that as well.

Since EChucK is in it's infancy, almost anywhere you choose to make a contribution will add a lot to help get the snowball rolling downhill and gathering size as it careens across the landscape! Lookout! Runaway snowball! Augh!

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well my electronics ability is sadly lacking, I got an E grade at A level many years ago which shows my proficiency.

I can program though so maybe the dsPIC area is best for me.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Well my electronics ability is sadly lacking, I got an E grade at A level many years ago which shows my proficiency.

I can program though so maybe the dsPIC area is best for me.

OK, well here is the link to the microchip web site:

http://www.microchip.com/

This link takes you to the MPLAB IDE download page:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en019469&part=SW007002

And this is the link to the C compiler download page:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en535363

There is a registration required to get the evaluation version of the C compiler, but you do not need to be a student to get it.

Then in the sticky repository thread is a starter C program that I wrote. One way to get started would be to build a project with that program and simulate it. Then we can go from there...

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, the MPLAB IDE and C compiler only run on a Windows machine, do you have one?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep a few!

I will download the stuff and have a look.

Is there an emulator of some kind?

What sort of things are you looking to develop?
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy, the MPLAB IDE has a simulator that you can use to test the code. There are hardware emulators too, but that would cost money and require you to make an EChucK sculpture for testing. I think we'll be OK running the simulator and then testing directly in programmed chip form without an in-circuit emulator.

The first thing besides the test code 1 program, which generates a square wave, is to code up a dsPIC program that implements the ChucK program for Fuzz. It's a guitar synth intended to create that "Matt Belamy of Muse" guitar sound. I am working with a user named LievenDV in Europe on the www.justinguitar.com forum to evaluate the ChucK code and build a couple of pedals.

LievenDV is a moderator at that forum so I think he's a stand-up guy and he said he would make a financial contribution to get me a programmer and some chips once we were all satisfied with the sound of the ChucK program.

So the MPLAB IDE C program would sample the guitar with the ADC, do math on it to perform AGC, then do more math on it to create the Fuzz, then send this out as a PWM signal.

That's the plan anyway.

synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This does sound like a lot of fun! I want to start getting into programming but have no idea where to start. I'm developing a lot of CMOS based lunetta circuits that all have voltage control. If you need my help with hardware I'm down.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger wrote:
This does sound like a lot of fun! I want to start getting into programming but have no idea where to start. I'm developing a lot of CMOS based lunetta circuits that all have voltage control. If you need my help with hardware I'm down.

Absolutely, synthmonger! If you're into Lunettas, you could build and document a Lunetta sculpture perhaps. The main key is to build it not in a panel or box, but to make little bitty circuit boards and hook them together with solid wire. In that way the wire is strong enough to hold the tiny boards physically in a "sculpture" arrangement in three dimensions.

Now, I know I said that EChucK is a 3.3V project, but I've been thinking that we should allow for 5V supplies also to encourage CMOS and TTL Lunettas as part of EChucK.

If you could do that with your Lunettas - and somehow document your work in a way that can be stored here in the repository, that would be awesome!

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger wrote:

Oh, wait, I spoke too soon - you said you want to get into programming. Well, what I said about your Lunettas still stands but as to programming, there are two main choices of programming related to EChucK: ChucK and C. ChucK is for prototyping EChucK circuits and C is for coding up the chips.

I have to say that if I were just starting out with programming I'd try ChucK first. ChucK is a simple download and you can get started right away just by running some example files. The MPLAB C, however is learning chip programming which is no easy task!

Here is the link for ChucK programs:

http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/

You can download the ChucK miniAudicle and get started from there. And see our ChucK forum for plenty of help. Good luck and thanks, synthmonger!

synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:

Absolutely, synthmonger! If you're into Lunettas, you could build and document a Lunetta sculpture perhaps. The main key is to build it not in a panel or box, but to make little bitty circuit boards and hook them together with solid wire. In that way the wire is strong enough to hold the tiny boards physically in a "sculpture" arrangement in three dimensions.

Now, I know I said that EChucK is a 3.3V project, but I've been thinking that we should allow for 5V supplies also to encourage CMOS and TTL Lunettas as part of EChucK.

If you could do that with your Lunettas - and somehow document your work in a way that can be stored here in the repository, that would be awesome!

I have a couple schematics in the lunetta forum already that may interest you. I use transistors in my design and will be coming out with new ones using 4007's and replacements for the transistors to make it 100% lunetta.

About the programming, that I probably won't get into for a couple months. I'm still heavily involved with 'lunettaing' and hardware stuff. Whereabouts in Florida are you? Lantana/lake worth here.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK Les, I will take a look at this stuff.

Cheers

Andy
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger, I'm in Hollywood FL which is a short drive north of Miami. I grew up in Miami Shores, which is part of North Miami.

I will take a look at your posts in the Lunetta forum...

monokinetic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Les,
I'm also quite intrigued by what you're doing here.

I'm familiar with programming PICs, have the hardware. Will check if my programmer works with dsPICs this week.

I'd be interested in a board, assuming my programmer works.

I think it's great you are posting this stuff open source. Do you think it would be worth exploring open source programming i.e. SDCC? I know that Thorsten Klose (the guy behind Midibox, see ww.ucapps.de) took all of his code cross platform this way.

If you like I'll try to find out if SDCC is supporting dsPIC, would be nice to keep things non-proprietary IMO Smile

Keep up the good work!

David
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger, it is amazing what you can do with just a few chips or transistors! I read your most recent thread and was quite impressed with your audio sample.

One cool thing to do is feed that into ChucK via the line-in jack on your computer and have ChucK do post-processing on it. Maybe we could start with just a filter that knocks the edges off of the square-ish waves to give us a clean, pure VCO type sound.

Then later we could do FFT / IFFT processing on your Lunetta's audio output to selectively shape the sound. The possibilities are endless, to use a cliche.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

David,

Sure, there are two boards left and you can have one. Shall I chop it up into little boards for you? My crude little Dremel table saw thingie seems to do a barely acceptable job at it. Just let me know...

About that um, SDCC stuff, I tried the link and it just hung there, giving me no web page. That might be a prolemo on my side though. Can you elaborate on what SDCC is? I am not familiar with it.

Thanks for getting involved, coolness!

Les

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Les,

What PIC MCU are we looking at here 10,12,16,18 or 32?

Cheers

Andy
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also Les, I don't know if you already are a member but its worth joining the music-dsp news group.

http://music.columbia.edu/cmc/music-dsp/

The source code archives are very good.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Andy,

Let me read off a circuit board (squint): dsPIC33FJ12GP201.

I chose that one because it is in a small package and low cost, yet is packed with features.

If you look closer at the TestCode1.c program, you will see this in the #include statements.

Cheers

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Also Les, I don't know if you already are a member but its worth joining the music-dsp news group.

http://music.columbia.edu/cmc/music-dsp/

The source code archives are very good.

I will look into this tonight (this morning, it's 4am)... Music never sleeps!

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah well its not a MCU its a DSP, there is my first mistake!

Looks like its the 24 compiler that is needed.

Also the IDE is actually the same as I have for my SoundBite board with a different name!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno, I was lucky to install the right stuff the first time.... werks for me!
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well looks like the compiler needed is MPLAB C Compiler for PIC24 and dsPIC DSCs which is $500. What are you using?

Cheers

Andy
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, Jan says that the new PicKit3 which was just released in January of this year (2009) is only $70 US! So even us hobbyists can afford it. Microchip used to charge too much and restrict access to their C compiler, but now their products are affordable and their C compiler is freeware. Microchip has changed it's stripes and that's a good thing. In my mind, they are now the industry leaders that they are truly meant to be. Oh, and I forgot... Complete dsPIC microprocessors with unheard of features and reprogrammable for a few bucks each... Microchip Rocks!
Page 1 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Jump to: