electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Favorite bit of guitar kit
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Favorite bit of guitar kit
Subject description: No Amps and Guitars
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys,

I was laying in the bath this morning thinking how much I love my TLA FatFunker, I know this is a bit sad but I wondered what is your favorite but of guitar related kit you couldn't do without?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love this amp. It's blazingly loud at an affordable price, and I can pipe my music into it too. It annoyed the neighbors so much that I got in trouble with my apartment association! Yeeeaaahhh!!!! Rock On!

frontman15g_l.jpg
 Description:
Fender Frontman 15G Amp
 Filesize:  182.62 KB
 Viewed:  597 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

frontman15g_l.jpg

GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He said no amps or guitars. And the first reply is... an amp! Laughing

Some old stuff on VIRB
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's mine, of late:

Some old stuff on VIRB
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:

Oh, duh, I didn't read the subtitle. I blame it on the vodka. OK, here is the U-HID-G accelerometer sensor that I Invented along with Andy of www.ultimarc.com. It enables me to vary effects just by moving the guitar.

uhid_g_diag.jpg
 Description:
The Guitar Motion Sensor
 Filesize:  63.54 KB
 Viewed:  36019 Time(s)

uhid_g_diag.jpg

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I usually play my guitar pretty straight (using a Line6 Pod), but when I feel like experimenting and stuff I plug it into this:

My favourite audio processing thingy (among other things). Usually I loop stuff, sync VCOs or pitch track the guitar via audio input.

/Stefan

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey look...GovernorSilver and I are on the same page these days Smile
I've only had the e-bow it a few weeks - it takes some getting the hang of it...

ebow.jpg
 Description:
..course it IS sitting on my favorite guitar....
 Filesize:  82.99 KB
 Viewed:  589 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ebow.jpg

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Oh, duh, I didn't read the subtitle. I blame it on the vodka. OK, here is the U-HID-G accelerometer sensor that I Invented along with Andy of www.ultimarc.com. It enables me to vary effects just by moving the guitar.

No biggie, just yankin' yer chain. Respect for your accelerometer project!

Some old stuff on VIRB
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I usually play my guitar pretty straight (using a Line6 Pod), but when I feel like experimenting and stuff I plug it into this:

My favourite audio processing thingy (among other things). Usually I loop stuff, sync VCOs or pitch track the guitar via audio input.

/Stefan

Indeed, I enjoyed trying out the awesome audio processing patches posted here on guitar, until my bandmate coopted my G2X for her keyboard rig. She loves running her voice through the G2X, with the gooseneck mic.

You guys seen this video yet? I bet there's a G2 patch somewhere that does the same thing: http://www.youtube.com/RunBeerRun3
It's supposed to be a demo of an audio-triggered "trance synth".

I started using the Ebow because one day I felt too lazy to pull out the cello for band practice. Now she actually prefers the sound of the Ebow to the cello for a certain song or two. But I'm struggling with dynamics using the E-Bow - it goes from no sound to super loud very quickly whereas I have a lot more control on cello.

Some old stuff on VIRB
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, ebow's are picky about where on the string, and /or over the pick-up, they are placed when played. And that's true for particular notes as well!! (This makes perfect sense, because it's just creating a magnetic feedback loop to reinforce the existing vibrations, so you may have the ebow placed over a standing wave's dead-zone, or over it's peak!).

Anyway, currently along with the G2, I'm playing with Pd, and especially this very portable unit (I really like the fact that it fits in my bass case!):

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products/adrenalinn3/adrenalinn3.shtml
Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My favourite bit of kit has to be my LR Baggs ParaDI. It just cleans up the piezo signal very nicely, and its quasi parametric mid control is a great help in rooting out those trouble frequencies.

baggs para di.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.35 KB
 Viewed:  35937 Time(s)

baggs para di.jpg

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

/Stefan

Ohhh, so THAT's what a G2 looks like! I want one!

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I put up some demos of Tim's awesome G2 audio patches with guitar (and a bit of voice) here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=791533

Yeah, and demo of a patch by Tombola (MusicThing blogger) too. His VirtualMURF patch killed my GAS for a real MURF pedal, which I'm sure is a thing of beauty in its analog glory, but has no user programmable patterns like Tom's patch.

Some old stuff on VIRB
stevenclements

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject:
Subject description: ideal front ent
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought this as a front end to the DAW mainly for my Basses, for which it does an admirable job, but it also shines as a front end for the Guitars.

I've tried a number of other approaches and this seems to be ideal. Integrated with a compressor and into the DAW for processing. Flawless each and every time.

I like to not use the drive pot beyond about 2 or three for just a touch of tube simulation, above that and it sounds less pleasing to my ears.

Placing this as the front end to a power amp and into a speaker cabinet and you have a fantastic clean sounding system. Mess it up with processing to your hearts content.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/rpm.html

life is a treasure... dig it!
miketheman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While I can and will totally agree upon both the E-bow and G2 engine (as I got them too), I would like to add Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro Plus to the list. Or any looper unit for that matter. Really a big boost to being creative.

However, I must say that since "it all is in the fingers" we should also add those REALLY ingenious little things that really matters in the right hands.

And while most, if not all, guitar players can relate to using a slide in some way (either doing it quite good, moderate or just plain painfully bad), the JetSlide totally is a different kind of beast.
It does takes some time to get used to, but you just won´t go back to normal sliding again without missing the benefits of the JetSlide.

http://www.jetslide.com/

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That Jetslide looks interesting, I might get myself one of those and give it a try.

I need to add a couple of bits of guitar kit that I think are worth a look.

1. Eleven Rack with expansion.

2. Pod HD500

The Eleven Rack is extremely good, the amp modelling is pretty good, better than the software ones I have (Waves, Guitar rig, amplitube). The interface is good but the True-Z input is the real King of the package, it has to be tried to see the difference it makes.

The only real problem I have with the Eleven Rack is the choices of FX units, especially if you are after weirder effects which leads me onto...

The Pod HD500. For the price this is pretty good, I was after a multi FX unit to plug into the FX Loop of the Eleven Rack and after looking around the HD500 seemed like a good deal, 8 concurrent effects from a choice of over 100 and a pedal board that could send midi for the price seemed like a bargain. I was surprised to see also that the Line 6 amp modelling has come on in leaps and bounds, it is not up to the quality of the Eleven Rack but is pretty useable and the new version allows you to set Sag and Bias on the amps which is neat. Crap power supply and no on/off switch though! Also a lot more noise than the Eleven Rack but for the price I think these are well worth a look.
miketheman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
That Jetslide looks interesting, I might get myself one of those and give it a try.

I need to add a couple of bits of guitar kit that I think are worth a look.

1. Eleven Rack with expansion.

2. Pod HD500

The Eleven Rack is extremely good, the amp modelling is pretty good, better than the software ones I have (Waves, Guitar rig, amplitube). The interface is good but the True-Z input is the real King of the package, it has to be tried to see the difference it makes.

The only real problem I have with the Eleven Rack is the choices of FX units, especially if you are after weirder effects which leads me onto...

The Pod HD500. For the price this is pretty good, I was after a multi FX unit to plug into the FX Loop of the Eleven Rack and after looking around the HD500 seemed like a good deal, 8 concurrent effects from a choice of over 100 and a pedal board that could send midi for the price seemed like a bargain. I was surprised to see also that the Line 6 amp modelling has come on in leaps and bounds, it is not up to the quality of the Eleven Rack but is pretty useable and the new version allows you to set Sag and Bias on the amps which is neat. Crap power supply and no on/off switch though! Also a lot more noise than the Eleven Rack but for the price I think these are well worth a look.

I don´t know anything of the price of either of these two, but if you´re into weird and good sounding effects and also don´t complain if amp modeling happen to be really good too. You owe to yourself to check up on Fractal Audio Axe-FX, at least to compare the price against Line6 and 11 rack. There are some used Ultra aviable due to the fact that the new toy Axe-FX II will come out in some weeks. If you don´t want or can´t afford to purchase the newest one, I say that the Ultra is still very good but has pretty much reached its full potential. The modifiers in the Ultra together with the effects aviable in it can make really weird but lovely sounds... not on par what´s possible within a G2 engine. But several LFO´s, ADSRs,a simple step sequencer, envelope follower, pitch tracker. That´s quite much to be in a guitar effect processor.

Regarding the amps in it and the aviable parameters on each amp compared to either Line6 and/or eleven rack... I just say: count´em!

Embarrasing enough I still haven´t tried my Ultra together with my G2 engine, though I´ve had it for a couple of years and the engine even longer... I guess life happens... all the time.

Can´t even imagine how all this will end up when I get me one octatrack or two...

/Mike

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep I have tried the ultra and the modelling is very good but the price point in Europe is very wrong for that extra little bit of goodness.

The Eleven rack is a less than a third of the price and the HD500 is less than a 1/4 of the price.

I may well get the II version at a latter date if I win the lottery Smile
miketheman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Yep I have tried the ultra and the modelling is very good but the price point in Europe is very wrong for that extra little bit of goodness.

The Eleven rack is a less than a third of the price and the HD500 is less than a 1/4 of the price.

I may well get the II version at a latter date if I win the lottery Smile

ok, had no idea it was such a big difference in price. You got a point there. We'll see if I'm able to afford the II when it arrives...

miketheman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
I put up some demos of Tim's awesome G2 audio patches with guitar (and a bit of voice) here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=791533

Yeah, and demo of a patch by Tombola (MusicThing blogger) too. His VirtualMURF patch killed my GAS for a real MURF pedal, which I'm sure is a thing of beauty in its analog glory, but has no user programmable patterns like Tom's patch.

is that VirtualMURF patch aviable somewhere? Searched on the forum here but didn't see anything...

Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

miketheman wrote:
While I can and will totally agree upon both the E-bow and G2 engine (as I got them too), I would like to add Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro Plus to the list. Or any looper unit for that matter. Really a big boost to being creative.

However, I must say that since "it all is in the fingers" we should also add those REALLY ingenious little things that really matters in the right hands.

And while most, if not all, guitar players can relate to using a slide in some way (either doing it quite good, moderate or just plain painfully bad), the JetSlide totally is a different kind of beast.
It does takes some time to get used to, but you just won´t go back to normal sliding again without missing the benefits of the JetSlide.

http://www.jetslide.com/

I agree on ALL yer points! Gizmos and gadgets are fun, conducive to creativity and all that, but yer fingers have to do the job anyhow!

I'll have to get me a few of them Jet slides, I reckon - thanks a heap for that timely tip!

Sorry to go overboard with the exclamation marks, but you know...

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

miketheman wrote:
While I can and will totally agree upon both the E-bow and G2 engine (as I got them too), I would like to add Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro Plus to the list. Or any looper unit for that matter.

All three of these are things I have entertained getting in the past. Recently my son and I have been thinking about the ebow.

Most of my looping has been in Ableton Live, and I must say that the most frustrating part has been the variations in latency between the time of kicking a midi foot controller and the time that Live starts capturing a loop. Do hardware loopers suffer from this varying start time latency, or is it a Live issue?

My workaround has been to write a looper in chuck that issues a count-in click track, with quiet time in front of the on-beat attack. It is software, and it works fine. But I cannot get Live to do a clean job of triggering on loop boundaries, due to the unpredictability of the latency between hitting the foot switch and the actual start of audio capture.

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:
...Do hardware loopers suffer from this varying start time latency, or is it a Live issue?

The looper controls on my Boss box reacts instantaneously. From what I've heard and seen, that is generally the case with other hardware loopers. I'd expect nothing less of a dedicated looper unit.

DJ
--
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:

My workaround has been to write a looper in chuck that issues a count-in click track, with quiet time in front of the on-beat attack. It is software, and it works fine. But I cannot get Live to do a clean job of triggering on loop boundaries, due to the unpredictability of the latency between hitting the foot switch and the actual start of audio capture.

Generally Live likes to trigger record start etc by itself. You hit the record button slightly before the point where you want to start recording - you need something programmed in advance (a click track or previously looped stuff). I guess you're using the looper effect, but I'd expect that to work the in a similar way.

I'm curious about the specifics in your problem - if you feel like it you could start a separate thread.

On another note, I've tried looping/overdubbing guitar with my Octatrack, which was promising. I just need to check up how to start recording with a pedal, which ought to possible now that it's 1.0.

/Stefan

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
. I just need to check up how to start recording with a pedal, which ought to possible now that it's 1.0.
/Stefan

When you do please tell me as I have had no luck!
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: