electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 FAQ
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

How about setting up a G2 FAQ here?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 17 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: G2 FAQ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why don't we set up a G2 FAQ?
Or did we discuss this already and I missed something?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We discussed the need for this - everyone thinks it's needed. We didn't discuss how to do it. Somebody probably needs to take stuff from the forum, and the email list and post them to a FAQ. I'll go off and take a look to see if someone has developed a nice FAQ program that works with this software. It's probably time to get going on this or we'll get in a rut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 156
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It has been a while since something happened in this thread, did you by any chance maybe stumble over some FAQ software Howard ?

What software did you have in mind, wouldn't a HTML editor be sufficient ?

(Today I saw a posting by jksuperstar asking something about G2 hardware for which a partial answer could have been in a FAQ because I know Rob Hordijk has been writing about it somewhere. Actually I was trying to find that info when I saw this thread that I never saw before somehow).

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I found some software where you can create FAQs for the forum. They would be like the one you see when you click on the FAQ link at the top of every forum page. There is a web interface for entering the Q&As. Looks good but:

- Only an admin or moderator can enter the data.
- There is no way to search the FAQ other than the browser search
- There is no way for people to post additional followup questions or discussions.

I read somewhere that someone used a forum for the FAQ. There is a mod that enables to topics to be sorted by in any order, not just time of last posting. We could have a FAQ forum under the Nord Modular Forum. It could be an open forum. The moderators could move other topics there if they thought it appropriate. The forum could be searched. The moderator would make sure the subjects were in the form of simple questions.

The forum would automatcally provide,

- indexing
- searching
- RSS feed
- additional commentary and discussion
- Google and other search engine listing
- attachements (example patches, mp3s, photos, etc)

As you can see, I'm leaning for the forum. No matter what we do software wise, maintaining a FAQ is a big resonsibility for the moderators, because it's only as good as the editors.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anybody got any feedback on my previous post?
egw

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The forum sounds fine.
But we need a volunteer to create the FAQ.
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry Howard.

I think the forum like presentation would be a good idea as it connects well with what already is.

I've been tempted to say "I'll do it", but I'm up to my neck in work and so I can't. I wouldn't mind though doing an occasional item.

I'm in doubt a bit as to whether a FAQ forum should be moderated or not. I'd really like to see many people getting involved but a FAQ that is a mess would not be very usefull.

I know that contributions could be edited and or (re)moved afterwards but it's not a very pleasant way to work as you'll end up messing with others liberties & rights.

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, all of the forums are moderated here, in one way or another. And we value individual rights and freedom a great deal. I'm not sure these are big issues in the FAQ domain however.

I'll set up a FAQ forum and anyone can contribute. I'll try to define some proceedures and customs to help make it useful. I expect it will evolve on its own.

Thanks for the feedback...

Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something is better than nothing, we'll see how things go. Thanks.

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I set up the G2 FAQ forum and posted some suggested operations rules for it. Let's hope something comes from it.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to Afrokid for making the first entries in the G2 FAQ forum. This is a great start to the FAQ forum.

thanks

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My pleasure Smile. I'm all for a FAQ, and noticed that most of the issues people have with G2's is OS updates and recognition problems, so I posted the answers discussed here and on the mailing list.

I like the idea of having the FAQ on the forum too, because if any additional info arises, people can post reply's to the question threads Cool
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: