electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Sequencer Pattern Shift
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

Is this a good idea?
Yep, sounds great
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
Yeah, but only once more important things have been resolved
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
I'm indifferent
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not really
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Sequencer Pattern Shift Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was playing around with some sequencers today and came up with a really nice bassline. Only the time I was keeping was wrong - beat 1 in my head actually landed on step 3 instead of 1. I tried solving this problem by delaying the sequence by 13 steps but it then wouldn't start when I wanted it to start - it would start on the next bar. And so the time consuming process of moving the sequence back 2 steps began.

I think it would be really handy if you could shift the sequencer pattern left or right like the 303 sequencers in Rebirth. Pressing a '<' button would shift the whole sequence back one step, with the first note wrapping around to position 16. The opposite for a '>' button.

This feature would also be fun to play around with the timing of riffs/melodies/basslines and could also be quite useful in a live situation to completely change the time and feel of a line at the push of a button.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you just use a delay on the sync signal?

But I do see how that effects the start point, and fiddling with delays to get what you want impeeds creation. (Even though mistakes in that fiddling might *create* something new!)

But, I agree, shifts (much like the +1, -1 of vocoder) would be helpful, and you can always fiddle if you wanted. You get my vote Smile
Qualium

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, definitely, Afrokid, excellent proposal.

In fact, I came to this forum specifically to suggest this very idea myself, but then noticed that you had already done so. Sure, you can delay the sync signal, but it would be visually much cleaner to be able to see exactly where what signal value falls on which step, especially when you have several sequencer modules stacked on top of each other. It would also reduce the clutter of having to work in an extra DlyClock module for each sequencer.

The one reason I can see why this feature might be difficult to manage is the fact that graphic space is getting a bit tight on a couple of the sequencer modules.

All the same, sequencer pattern shift would be extremely useful - at least I know it would be to dance music producers, such as myself, who are surely a very significant proportion of Nord Modular users.
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sequencer Pattern Shift Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afrokid wrote:
I think it would be really handy if you could shift the sequencer pattern left or right like the 303 sequencers in Rebirth.

Here is an example patch where the position in the sequence is presettable by a constant value.
Basically the shift is modulatable with this example patching, which can give interesting variations.

SeqShifter.pch2
 Description:
Basic technique for shifting a sequencer forwards and backwards, steps of shift is controlled by a constant module.

Download
 Filename:  SeqShifter.pch2
 Filesize:  2.01 KB
 Downloaded:  1478 Time(s)

SeqShifterModded.pch2
 Description:
Modulation of the shifting of a sequencer.

Download
 Filename:  SeqShifterModded.pch2
 Filesize:  2.98 KB
 Downloaded:  1562 Time(s)

Last edited by Rob on Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob you seem to have uploaded the same file twice, which probably you did not intend to do.

Jan.
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Rob you seem to have uploaded the same file twice, which probably you did not intend to do.

Jan.

Embarassed
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:

Embarassed

Wouldn't do that ... the UI sucks Twisted Evil

Jan.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequencer Pattern Shift Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:
Afrokid wrote:
I think it would be really handy if you could shift the sequencer pattern left or right like the 303 sequencers in Rebirth.

Here is an example patch where the position in the sequence is presettable by a constant value.
Basically the shift is modulatable with this example patching, which can give interesting variations.

And that is why I reckon we need it built into the sequencer itself Shocked. That's some intense patching going on Rob, works like a charm though. Cheers! Smile
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Jump to: