electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Why synths on an iPhone?
Page 5 of 7 [153 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's somewhat cool to see some of the software coming out for the i-Phones. For me though - if I were cast off to some island all by myself and was given the choice between either:

- i-Phone with synth software etc.

or

- a bunch of CMOS chips and other parts / tools to make a noise machine

I'd easily pick the latter. Smile The simplicity of it all in building and the world of sounds and anti-music that you're able to create with it to me - is far more enjoyable than all of the technology available nowadays.

That's just my thots, tho. Wink
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Possibly because you are a hardware man rather than a software man.

I would like the iPhone/iTouch with a XCode 3 development environment then I could make anything if I had the time, and the desert island would give me that.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:

I would love to try some of the OSC controller stuff (i think it would be awesome for the G2 and encourage me to use the iphone in the studio) but there doesn't seem to be an easy conversion of OSC to Midi controller data for the PC, damn those MAC Users!!! Unless anyone knows something I don't?

ChucK can do OSC to MIDI conversion easily enough - on the PC too.

/Stefan

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Possibly because you are a hardware man rather than a software man.

I would like the iPhone/iTouch with a XCode 3 development environment then I could make anything if I had the time, and the desert island would give me that.

I'm not too bad with programming either. But I love the physical connection of reaching out to plug something in or twist a knob. Wink

Side note as to another message above: I also far prefer the warmth of Gibson guitars compared to the Fenders. Colour doesn't matter a huge lot, tho. Wink
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
iPassenger wrote:

I would love to try some of the OSC controller stuff (i think it would be awesome for the G2 and encourage me to use the iphone in the studio) but there doesn't seem to be an easy conversion of OSC to Midi controller data for the PC, damn those MAC Users!!! Unless anyone knows something I don't?

/Stefan

Also other things http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=puredata&t=33357
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:

I'm not too bad with programming either. But I love the physical connection of reaching out to plug something in or twist a knob. Wink

Ah well maybe its me being bad at hardware then. I see the software side as also plugging things in, maybe the hardware is more immediate though. Concerning the Knobs thats what the iPhone is giving us isn't it, granted only a couple at a time, something like the Jazzmutant Lemur has a bit more space and you get that same feeling as a knob with controls that just cannot be represented in hardware like the MultiBall object.

Rykhaard wrote:

Side note as to another message above: I also far prefer the warmth of Gibson guitars compared to the Fenders. Colour doesn't matter a huge lot, tho. Wink]

I must admit Gibson guitars can sound pretty nice, but one of my favorite guitarists David Gilmour really only ever uses Strats and he makes them sound quite good. I have never owned either, I think they are overpriced and you can get much better guitars for the same sort of money. I have to disagree though colour is very important.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

I must admit Gibson guitars can sound pretty nice, but one of my favorite guitarists David Gilmour really only ever uses Strats and he makes them sound quite good. I have never owned either, I think they are overpriced and you can get much better guitars for the same sort of money. I have to disagree though colour is very important.

Doh! Embarassed Caught me. I completely forgot about David. He's one of my most favourite guitar players as well as composers, on the planet. Smile

Must be 1/2 awake or something as I now DO remember colour combo's that I DON'T like and of course, that'd reflect on stage. Razz Gold-sparkle?? puker
And on the opposite - red surrounded sunburst (Les Paul), is my fave colour combo. Smile Mmmmm ..... just had the thought of repainting my modular that way. Laughing
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love my hardware synths too, but having tried my hand at handheld synths on GameBoy and Palm Treo, I have an appreciation for musical toys that can be played while on the go.

I was joking about Les Pauls vs. Strats of course. I will admit though that my first couple of guitars were humbucker based because I wanted to sound like Pat Metheny. Nowadays, I prefer single coil sounds. They are simply more compatible with my "voice" on the guitar.

Some old stuff on VIRB
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Red is better than green! Evil or Very Mad

Seriously, though when the time comes to get a really nice guitar, I'd probably get a Strat-style made by CP Thornton, Don Grosh, or Suhr (Scott Henderson model) rather than an actual Fender. Unless I suddenly become very rich, in which case I'll get an Aged Vintage Classic (Strat-clone) made by D'Pergo.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, we're right on topic here. Let me bring us back on course by saying that I want to rig up a geetar with an iTouch on it to do effects and touch screen stuff too. Of course you couldn't use an iPhone for this: "Ring, Ring!", "Oh, excuse me babe, my guitar is ringing.", "Hello?"...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
iPassenger wrote:

/Stefan

ChucK Idea

Has anyone posted an example on how to do this? Would be very helpful to a Noobie ChucKie.

There are PD files one can get for some of the OSC controllers. I used one, TouchOSC. It works but the touch pad through to the software seemed very slow. Not really satisfactory. Maybe ChucK would be a better choice.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard, the best way to learn about such thingies is to explore the examples directory that comes with your ChucK distribution. There are OSC examples and MIDI examples. Then it's just a matter of uniting them together. Kas or I or kij can do this for you if you have the need (or someone else)...

The examples are also available on the ChucK websites.

Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done this often enough, so I might as well try to cook up an example. This transforms my 16x16 monome into 16 MIDI keyboards playing on the respective MIDI channels:

Code:
5 => int MIDI_DEVICE_AMOUNT;
2 => int MIDI_DEVICE;
MidiOut midiOuts[MIDI_DEVICE_AMOUNT];
for ( 0 => int i; i < MIDI_DEVICE_AMOUNT; i++) {
   if (midiOuts[i].open(i)) {
      <<< "Opened MIDI device #", i, ": ", midiOuts[i].name() >>>;
   } else {
      <<< "Could not open MIDI device ", i >>>;
   }
}

MidiMsg midiMsg;

fun void keyPressed(int x, int y) {
//      <<< "Press ", inMidiNote >>>;
   0x90 + y => midiMsg.data1;   // Note on + MIDI channel (sample)
   60 + x => midiMsg.data2;   // Note value
   127 => midiMsg.data3;   // velocity
   midiOuts[MIDI_DEVICE].send(midiMsg);
}

fun void keyReleased(int x, int y) {
//      <<< "Release ", inMidiNote >>>;
   0x80 + y => midiMsg.data1;   // Note off + MIDI channel (sample)
   60 + x => midiMsg.data2;   // Note value
   0 => midiMsg.data3;   // velocity
   midiOuts[MIDI_DEVICE].send(midiMsg);
}

OscRecv orec;
8000 => orec.port;
orec.listen();
orec.event("/osc2midi/press,i,i,i") @=> OscEvent pressEvent;
while (true) {
   pressEvent => now;
   while (pressEvent.nextMsg() != 0) {
      pressEvent.getInt() => int x;
      pressEvent.getInt() => int y;
      pressEvent.getInt() => int state;
      if (state == 1) {
         keyPressed(x, y);
      } else {
         keyReleased(x, y);
      }
   }
}

The monome sends OSC messages formatted according to the string "/osc2midi/press,i,i,i" (in my case this means x, y, and pressed/released state). You need to adapt this into what your OSC app sends. Then you can of course change the MIDI note on/offs (sent in keyPressed() and keyReleased()) into whatever you like.

I realise now that this might not be "fairly easy" to someone unfamiliar with programming... ChucK is based on C-style code, with the assignment (ChucK) operator => being the most blatant difference. Anyway, throw questions at the ChucK subforum.

/Stefan

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Stefan, just what Howard asked for and in no time flat! Dang I love this community! Cheers!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Stefan, I will have time to try this out in a few days. I'm sure there will be many questions.

A little program like this will eventually bring a lot of attention to ChucK.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Antimon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem. It can be tweaked to accept OSC formats and MIDI device/channels/whatever as arguments... I think that would spawn more work though since it makes you want to generalize more. I usually just keep them like this and hack them to fit whatever purpose I have at the moment - maybe I want to send MIDI controls instead or have another mapping of OSC arguments.

I should point out that you can probably do it in a similar way in SuperCollider, CSound and others like them. I've only bothered to learn ChucK. Smile

/Stefan

honeck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
why on earth you want to play a synthesizer with an iPhone

because i can
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I can lick a dogs arse if I want to, doesn't mean I would though.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eeeewwww!!!
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

what is that Question British humour Question ROFL

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
honeck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

well now where i live you could not legally do that so........

oh wait, if i turn my amp up i guess i could not legally play my synth after 10 PM either. Thank God for sound proofing foam.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Why not? You're a dog. Wink

Some old stuff on VIRB
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
mosc wrote:
For a monthly fee, it is also a telephone, but that's optional.

WOW Exclamation

You can also buy the iPod Touch which is an iPhone - the phone part, still have most of the same features, touch control, + 8/16/32Gb of storage for music/pics wihtout the monthly fee.

I have the first gen iPod touch and just recently got the iTouch midi apps for touch-controlled mifi (that's a new acronym for Midi-Over-Wifi).

I think we are just now seeing the tip of the iceberg regarding touch-controlled everything with these platforms.

etherline

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought an iPod Touch for my wife last week. She wanted a spell checker. She still doesn't have a spell checker but I've got a new modular synth. Embarassed
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

etherline wrote:
I bought an iPod Touch for my wife last week. She wanted a spell checker. She still doesn't have a spell checker but I've got a new modular synth. Embarassed

Did you check the AppStore?

Page 5 of 7 [153 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: